Cubase 7 ~ hanging during initialization

Hello,

Just arrived here, please forgive me if this question has been asked and solved elsewhere in the forum, I have searched but couldn’t find anything that fits my query.

I have just installed Cubase 7 ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ but I did a 32 bit install. Everything seems to be in order so far, the only problem I have is that upon starting Cubase, as the program goes through initialization it gets as far as MIDI and then hangs for (I’ve just timed it again) 2.30 minutes and then carries on and once it has loaded I’m not experiencing any issues.

Any information, tips, feeback, etc. will be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

TC

How confident are you with editing the registry?

Thanks for your response… I’m relatively confident… and can follow instructions well, so will receive any information/guidance gratefully… :smiley:

Firstly, try removing your preference files via the start menu, in the application data folder.

Roughly how many entries are there (with names like “{0a526862-d5fd-4c71-8d00-548ed523b574}”)under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render”? Cubase scans all those entries on startup, and the list contains every device you’ve ever connected whether or not it’s present or not. If it becomes too cluttered it will appear to hang on startup. The easiest way to fix it is to delete the whole thing (exporting the list beforehand just in case) but this will delete all your audio and midi devices so you’ll have to re-install them. If that’s not too much of a problem then go ahead and do that.

Otherwise you’ll have to manually remove the unused devices (look under the properties of each device and it will give you a name).

Thanks for the info. The confusing thing is that this is a brand new computer - built by PC Audiolabs in California - and aside from installing Cubase 7 and the drivers for a Presonus Firepod there have been no other devices installed/connected. Ho hum.

you could try starting c7 in safe mode and deleting the preferences

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences/kb_back/2020.html

Did you have a look at how many entries were there?

A corrupt driver install could do it.

Yeah, I don’t know, neither following my own logic or your suggestions is solving this. I’m going to have to work with it as is for the next 24 hours or so as I have a client walking through the door in about 30 minutes! Thanks again for your time, thoughts, etc. If I find a resolve in the meantime, I’ll let you know.