Cubase 7 - I'm one furious person

Myself a long time cubase user would love to upgrade from 6 to 7.

Thing is I keep reading so many bad threads and reviews on it.

Is it really that bad?

Its a fair old price for an upgrade if it is!

I have to be honest I look at the mixer and think yuk! I thought you can have a classic look aswell as the new one?

Shame 8(

Most untrue.

SB always value user input.

+1

Put in an FR.

You can’t do this but instead you can resize all channels to show at once, which on a large enough monitor looks quite good.

Even though I strongly disagree with your take on the new mixer, that quote is the most sad and truthfull thing about our situation as DAW users.

Man, look at Avid…they keep pissing on a lot of people by discontinuing a whole bunch of hardware, out of nowhere, time after time.

Opinions on the mixer are both varied and subjective.

SB always listen to what I have to say, in fact I never had a situation where I have not received a satisfactory response, particularly when submitting feature requests.

That’s very hard to believe. In fact, that’s impossible to believe.

So…

Why have you not requested VCA faders? Deeper channel linking options (PT says “hi”)? Object-based editing (Samp says “hello”)? Those 3 alone would make me a lot more happy with Cubase.

Also, ask them to drop the Group/FX pseudo-separation thing. It’s nonsense since 4.1. Make it “Aux” just like everybody else and call it a day. :mrgreen:

Do it for us man, since SB listen to you! :laughing:

On the first point, would that not require some kind of emulation? Second, anything that can be done to make mixing easier I would vouch for. Third, I don’t know if it’s the goal of Cubase to provide such facilities but if you can note the advantages I’d oblige and read.

Also, ask them to drop the Group/FX pseudo-separation thing. It’s nonsense since 4.1. Make it “Aux” just like everybody else and call it a day.

I use Groups as busses and FX as effects sends, regardless of the underlying functionality being the same but one thing I will say about sends though; I’d like to have a choice, particularly in the mixer for there to be old school knobs as in the Channel Strip and not this cross-fader setup alone.

So I have to prove you why VCA, more linking options and object-based editting are a good thing?

Have you ever used PT or Samp?

Come on man, look outside your window. Cubase has its strengths and it is a great DAW, but that doesn’t mean it could be improved and benefit from such features.

One last thing: a dry/wet knob for each insert would be sweet, like Reaper does…but let’s not get away from the fact: SB doesn’t listen. VCA is a recurrent request. The linking got a lot better on v7 but it was underwhelming. Look at the way PT does it and you’ll understand where I’m coming from.

Those who don’t ask for that are probably those who don’t know what they do and/or have never used such things.

One more time: SB doesn’t listen. Otherwise we would at least have VCA, which they promised to add to Nuendo but they didn’t say anything about that coming to Cubase.

I seem to recall Batch Export as a highly-requested feature that was once thought of in the same way as VCA Faders: implemented.

+1 for this FR, I for one would certainly use it even for VST instruments with multiple outputs such as drums. As to wet/dry knob, it could be good for some effects but again which DAW has it?

Agreed on the batch export - anoter long waited feature that I also love is the new metering - I’ll give good old Steiny that.

BUT.

There are many, many things to be done. I’m taking bugfixes over all the features we talked about.

Cubase user since mid 90s here and i love the new mixer and 7 in general, its not perfect but definitely a step in the right direction.

what i don’t love though is no global presets for loading layouts between projects (meaning i have to reconfigure the layout on any updated templates/ reconfigure from beginning on older projects - HUGE WASTE OF TIME - WHY WHY WHY???).

i despise some of the design decisions, fonts - cant read track/plugin names/general spacing (although some of its been rectifie), Panning control - i still cant easily switch from stereo to mono without using the load preset function.

Although i appreciate the fluid layout which must be tough coding, they really need to get a better/another GUI designer to iron out the obvious usability issues. This mixer could be so cool if we could skin it ourselves - like firefox Browser for example. Users could share their own designs.

I also want to bring up just the Master chennel instead of the entire mixer which seems to have gone ?