Cubase 7 new mixer regression

I usually buy updates because I really trusted Steinberg since the beginning.
However, regarding Cubase 7, I’ve downloaded the demo because I was afraid of the “radical” changes of the mixer.

After 20 days of testing, I can state that even if track selection panel is a real improvement, regarding track panel, the density of controls is radically lower than in previous versions.

I think it really a regression that is not compensated by new track selection design.

I disagree. I’ve used C7 for a few months and having looked at the Nuage information I get the plan Steinberg and Yamaha have worked towards. Software and hardware integration. It took longer than I thought but it is near.

I agree, the C7 mixer is overburdened with exaggerated routing that does not add anything to the recording process. The C6.5 setup is more to the point, IMO, although I’m sure even it could be simplified.

C7 is a warm glow visually, an impressive looking GUI, I agree. So what? I need to improve my process, my workflow, my skills at keeping on top of a session. I need a partner, not a pretty face with manitenence issues.

+1

Well said.

Though I will say that it does seem like there are a fair number of folks out there who seem to like it. Their brains appear to be wired differently than us who pine for the original feel. I’m wondering if they who like it are:

New users who had little or no experience with the old interface.

Long time old style users who were suffering badly with the old interface?

Wondering if age has anything to do with it? I’m a middle aged guy. Wonder if the new interface is better suited for younger users (generalizing, of course).

Just wondering how someone could like the new interface more.

One thing is certain, I will never know for myself, never be able to give it a fair shake until they first make a version 7 that is stable and reinstating the missing functionality from the last version (i.e. remembering fader position when saving selected channels or all mixer).

The thing that bothers me the most about the new mixer (the only thing that seems to be a regression imho) is the plugins panel. We used to see the plugins name clearly and have seperate buttons to desactivate, bypass, bring to front “e”, and move it around. these were 4 distinct butons … no double click, no bring to front problems, no problems with knowing what plugins you are tweaking (since the “e” used to be blue when the plugin was up front).
That’s the biggest downgrade for me … everything else on the mixer is brilliant.

yes, I agree

I’ve used an amount of time meanwhile to get myself closer to the new design. It’s possible to work with it and it will improve for sure but…

One thing is certain, I will never know for myself, never be able to give it a fair shake until they first make a version 7 that is stable and reinstating the missing functionality from the last version (i.e. remembering fader position when saving selected channels or all mixer).

… the missing features are not balancing the possible improvements up to now (my most ‘want-it-back’-call goes out for Ctrl+Click into any routing > mixer jumps there).

The thing that bothers me the most about the new mixer (the only thing that seems to be a regression imho) is the plugins panel. We used to see the plugins name clearly and have seperate buttons to desactivate, bypass, bring to front “e”, and move it around. these were 4 distinct butons … no double click, no bring to front problems, no problems with knowing what plugins you are tweaking (since the “e” used to be blue when the plugin was up front).

Poor decisions to remove buttons + hide functions in a context menu! Try switching off (not bypassing) multiple plugins at a time or set a bunch of send slots to pre/post state simultaneously - no way + no alternative other than doing it one by one (that’s how it was before Cubase 4 anno 2006). What has worked before needs to work in an update. Some things have been sacrificed to the new design (+ early release?) and all we can do is hoping the new design is flexible enough to re-implement those important features.

I really really like it. Much better than before in my opinion, but every software change finds some moaner. If you don’t want change, why update.

I use Autocad at work, I use 2007 version because all the later changes are no more than a nuisance, so I use the version I like, and shut up about the later versions.

Stick to the Cubase version you like, especially if you’ve only tried the trial version and so haven’t paid out any dish for it,

+1

autocad is completely different , instead of removing old behaviours they have left them there and just added on top so you find you have various ways around doing something BUT Cubase 7 has removed functions , you can not compare autocad to Cubase 7

I use Cubase at work (and actually love it, errr, know pretty well how it works in depth) that’s why I want it to stay my baby :sunglasses:

Give my baby the old features back + add a reasonable selection of keycos (especially for the mixer) and I’ll be perfectly happy! Don’t mind much about ‘her’ makeup :mrgreen:

I know it looks like I’m complaining, but I seriously like all the enhancement that cubase 7 brought (plugins and tracks search bar, visibility and zone panel on the mixer, Control room panel and small stuff like being able to create group/FX on selected channels without the need of routing them or just the fact that you can name a track while creating it instead of having to create it then click on the name field and name it, oh and I almost forgot Chord Track :stuck_out_tongue: … these are all great workflow enhancement and I love it!! The sad part is when some features are changed for the worst (like my previous comment) and I believe that steinberg could fix that if we point it out (I’m not talking about complaining) cause Steiny usually listen to customers and Cubase is not perfect, but it’s the closest imho. Most of the complaint I’ve seen are about stuff that used to work and aren’t there anymore (Hidden channels are showing up on MCU, Saving channel preset doesn’t save volume, The plugin issues I previously stated, Varioaudio pitch issue when segments are cut ect ect … if Steinberg is able to fix these while keeping the stability and all the new amazing features intact, Cubase will be the best DAW by far imho.

+1

In the last year I’ve tried nearly every DAW (always like to see what the others have to offer) and I think Cubase 7 already is the best DAW…IMHO.

We used to see the plugins name clearly and have seperate buttons to desactivate, bypass, bring to front “e”, and move it around. these were 4 distinct butons … no double click, no bring to front problems,

+1 The extra mouse-clicking drives me crazy enough to keep me on v6.

And don’t forget, you could set different view sets for individual channels. i.e.: view the sends on some channels and the inserts on others. You can’t do this on big projects (with lots of plugs) because with the new “racks” space, sends or inserts will always be hidden from view, requiring either a scroll or a mouse-click.

That’s exactly why I prefer the v6 mixer… less mouse scroll and click… quicker view of track controls with a close to perfect graphical density !

To present a demographic Tim…you have good questions. I’m 45 and have used Cubase since it was Cubasis…early ninties maybe.Since I have followed the upgrade path while also using Logic Pro, Sonar and Ableton Live.
I really like the new mixer! I know its a bugger to change a work flow to accomodate a new software but I feel this has some great improvments both visually and for productivity.
Steiny is in my opinion working hard for us and is providing a product based partially on what they receive in feedback.
New update on the 27th…giddyup! :slight_smile:

To be clear, Cubase was never Cubasis! Cubasis one could argue was kind of a remarketing of older Cubase versions with crippling and feature limiting, serving as an introductory DAW program. It belonged to the consumer product division which was laid to rest when Steinberg was aquired by Pinnacle. I too was introduced to Steinberg from a bundled version of Cubasis back in the late '80s. Since then I used it buying upgrades until the final VST Version 5 (which I still have on another PC) at which point I updated to Cubase Studio 4.
Now they have a totally new product for the ipad called Cubasis, so reference to the name Cubasis may also cause a bit of confusion for some. (Steinberg should sue itself for trademark infringement :laughing: )

So what you’re saying Bri is that since I’ve already paid for Cubasis I’m eligible for a free upgrade on the iPad ?
:wink:

Ya, go for it - esp. on 1st April :wink: