Cubase 7 new mixer regression

I keep running into a bug with this new mixer interface whereby if I hit F3 to bring up the mixer, the cursor is a resizing tool that seems to want to resize the mixer sections, and it is really hard to get it to go back to being a pointer so I can work on the track.

Check your key commands (from the File menu) specifically F3.

Definitively not convinced by 7.0.3 update too…

Have mentioned it before but it appears to me that the new mixer was designed by staff that did not work on the creation of the old design.

When they ‘improved’ the mixer they ‘improved’ it without knowing very much about what they were improving. I am just speculating of course but it sounds like somebody with some new ideas got Dad’s carkeys and took the Mercedes out for a drive. Now they are in the slow lane of the Autobahn with a few mysterious noises coming from the engine.

After they’ve published world-wide, got reviews, blah blah, and despite the design mistakes it is too late to go back…

Think I’ll play some bass now…

Yeah, that’s an amusing way to look at it. And there’s probably some truth there.

This new version’s unreliability is difficult. I have been enjoying Steinberg’s rock solid behavior for many many years. Now I’m wondering what direction this important tool will be taking me in my work. As some have mentioned, it’s also an indicator of the move away from computers for tablets and phones. I’m trying to figure out we will be tracking 24 live tracks to an iPad. Change is inevitable.

Wel the problem with the ipad is that is just a small computer with limited display space. In a mixing environment you need to be able to scan large numbers of tracks, fx, output settings and so on. If anything our studio is going in the opposite direction. More monitors.

And on that topic … the new mixer has too much blank unused space. And black as well which I personally do not like and can see no way at present to change it.

Those big old desks we had in the 70’s were ok, but still clunky, and just trying to use computers to imitate 1970’s technology seems a mistake.

Nice to find a similar view to whole software update whining… :wink: Strange “hardcore” engineering software cost major $$ and yet we accept quirks and GUI changes up to the point where it directly affects work output (or kills someone :exclamation: )

Right but I really like chord track and VariAudio 2.0 update.
The new ASIO-Guard seems promising on paper too (there are still need some fix to improve cpu load on mac).

I really feel uncomfortable Steinberg changed radically the mixer to something looking good* but slowing workflow so I do not update this time…

(* new text implementation is awful Steinberg Forums)

I must be a freak. I’m very old, I started with Cubase for Windows, I have worked a lot with Cubase 6 and yet I find the new mixer is wonderful. I miss not at all the previous mixer.

I too love the new mixer and would hate it to go back to what it was

Its “simple”. Remove the xtra mouse clicks (somehow). Speed up the GUI and remove the glitches.
Make it possible to have high quality plugins in the mixer for example the vintage channels VCM technologue. I love the mixchannel - not so mutch the plugin quality.
Make the GUI a bit less dark. Also colour templates instead of trying to match the colours of the faders with the master fader.
Trim the audioengine.
If that is done > Killer DAW.
Further ahead should the whole program be rewritten but we can wait a couple of years if this is fixed.

this is more than likely going to be a pay for .5.0 feature ,a bit like returning partial transparency to c6.5, dangle a carrot and then make people pay for it in an update

According to some threads here MixConsole needs bigger screen. Checked., Best screen resolution for MixConsole (Cubase 7.0.3) it seems C7 mixer requires bigger screen.

Is it because of the lower control density compare to C6 or any other reason ?

I’m exactly the same. New mixer is great. just can’t understand how an instantly configurable ,searchable mixer can be a step back.

You’re right… First time I saw the new mixer it’s exactly what I though.
But after some days of mixing, I realized how much time I spent selecting channels and panning, resizing the mixer because the control were not visible, including the fatigue feeling. It might depend on number of channels perhaps too.
This is the reason why I went back to C6.5 mixer.

Instant track selection, mixer configuration is really an improvement, but C7 mixer layout has too low control layout density for me (and I can tell some of my colleague feel the same). Same improvement with C6.5 mixer layout would have been much better.

I don’t know why Steinberg changed the mixer layout so radically, if they submitted different projects to people which work several hours per day in mixer view before releasing this layout ?

Well we’re all different. Just mixed down a client song over last 2 days. Mixer resizing is just not an issue for me and panning is usually done in the project window. Having the ability to instantly just see groups, them instantly just see a single channel then instantly just see out put makes the whole process way easier and for me far less fatiguing.

This is where I will respectfully drop out of the conversation. I understand that some folks don’t like the new mixer and if you don’t you’re pretty much having to get others to focus on your dislikes and this can be awkward. After awhile everyone I’ve seen is basically left trying to make a case that their use of Cubase is more demanding and they therefore see things that users who like the mixer just don’t see. NOT SAYING THIS APPLIES IN ALL CASES. Since I’ve given my opinion I don’t see the point of backing someone into the " I’m more professional" corner.

Nicely put.