Cubase 7 - will it support Drag n Drop by then or??

Hi,
Is this the version we shall see true drag n drop support and a better browser, instead of mediabay? like Studio ONE?

Not sure what you mean by drag n drop support . AFAIK, d&d is simply being able to drag a file into a Cubase project, instead of using File > import (or a kc). Cubase has been able to do this since SX2, if not even earlier.

Are you wanting the ability to d&d files into MB, or something else?

Cheers.

No I’m talking about true drag n drop of everything, not just a file onto the arranger… I’m speaking of dragging your plugins onto the arranger tracks,. onto the mixer tracks, dragging wav files from the browser (in this case mediabay which is a slow dinosaur compared to the S1 browser) onto 3rd party samplers, such as Kontakt or Mach Five 3, Maschine.

Check out Studio One from Presonus if you need a better definition of what true drag n drop has to offer inside a daw. The current Cubase 6.5 is behind in many ways compared to S1’s workflow for working with .fxp n .fxb presets etc… which is much faster and streamlined.

I’d like to know if Steinberg is finally ready to admit, that drag n drop of vsts,files,etc… is truly the way to work inside of a daw by now, and if they plan on updating to this in v7… Personally I’d like to move on n be done with them, if they don’t get the picture here by NOW!

Not too long ago,maybe 6/months ago, a thread popped up, and a steinberg rep mentioned they we’re looking into this,but this required a major GUI change,and mentioned it wouldn’t happen in v.6, so I’m back to hear more news and I’m hoping they we’re serious,and curious if they still are considering this for v7?

You mean, Steinberg should admit that your way of working is the way to work? I hardly ever use drag ‘n’ drop, and can easily do without. And threats like ‘move on and be done with them’ are hardly impressive, I’m afraid.

@ electronix: I know what you mean. When it comes to drag and drop Live is for me what S1 is for you. Maybe Cubase isn’t for us anymore. I’m not sure things will change with v7.

If it supported Drag and Drop from Mediabay or such like into 3rd party plug-ins, then all would be well with the world :slight_smile:

Being able to drag audio from the arrange window into plugins would be awesome. I don’t know if this is a Cubase limitation or a plugin limitation.

I’d also like a media browser docked to the side of the main Cubase window for searching the file system that allowed drag and drop into the arrange page. Currently I have to us OSX’s Finder window on top of the Cubase arrange window, it could be more streamlined.

You can drag n drop instrument plugins from the Mediabay to the arrange page (just not fx plugins). A lot of times I’ll browse some presets in Mediabay till I find something I want to work with then drag n drop that preset to the arrange page.

Sorry, but the S1v2 browser is so far behind the powerful and versatile Mediabay its not even funny. Regarding 3rd party VSTs, I drag n drop files to Battery and Kontakt all the time using the VST-XML translator… it only requires one extra click.

Talk about dinosaurs, .fxp and .fxb presets are very limited compared to the more modern VSTpresets… at this point I can’t even imagine going back to the dark ages before VSTpresets and the Mediabay.

Personally, I would like to see better drag n drop in Cubase (similar to Ableton Live and S1), but I’ll trade not being able to drag n drop a couple of things in Cubase for all the features I’d be missing in Live and S1v2.

Ah, I see. Yes - it would be nice to be able to do this.

Another big issue with Cubase is this, say you have a track playing, then you want to add another vsti instrument, the sound drops out for a sec, sorta loses sync, this has been happening ever since I owned sx1, again S1 doesn’t have this issue… Not sure if it’s a sync issue, n I’m using a power 2012 mac + windows cpu, with ssd hd’s, this is just sad…

As far as moving on to S1, I have along time ago, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want Cubase to work smoother…

To the comment of mediabay being better then S1 browser, for tagging yes, but I don’t use that method… Different workflows demand different things I know, but as far as dragging things in from the browser vs mediabay vs S1 browser, no contest, S1 destroys mediabay.

Remember the same guys who coded Nuendo + Cubase are now coding S1, with a different approach.

I own both, but when it comes to workflow, I’d like to see some real support for true drag n drop in c7…

thanks

Right I know about the translator, I used that method before, but how does that help you when you want to drag your EFX?

I would love for Cubase to finally offer a standard drag and drop from Mediabay that could work with samplers like Maschine, Machfive3 and Kontakt. The workarounds are ok, but after using Studio One there is no comparison. I agree that Cubase and Mediabay have their own advantages over Studio One, but I don’t understand why this has been such an issue for Steinberg. People have been begging for this feature for years now.

And for those who make it a point to knock someone’s feature request, you should re-evalute why you’re here. I appreciate those who suggest alternate solutions or workarounds, but I feel that those who attempt to dismiss someone else’s idea of what could make the product better should find something better to do with your time. If you don’t like someone’s feature request:

Step 1. Leave the thread immediately.
Step 2. Come up with your own good feature request.
Step 3. Create a thread explaing your new game changing idea.
Step 4. Pray to the heavens above that someone like yourself doesn’t post in your thread bashing your great new idea.

Remember, most people here want to make Cubase better, but everyone has a different idea of what better is. Sometimes I beleive that people bash a request in hopes that if they kill every request that they don’t want that somehow the things that they do want will magically be coded in. You never know when one of those features that you have no use for now may come in handy in the future. Why not let Steinberg code in as much as possible and if you don’t like a certain feature then don’t use it. It’s that simple and you didn’t even have to make someone feel bad for having a different viewpoint than you.

Just thinking out loud,
Quinn

It’s funny how many people like dragging and dropping things – I need a hotkey for everything, dragging stuff around just takes too long!

Great post.

+1 for drag n drop.

I agree that anyone should be able to come and make a feature request, but I think the two posters here who responded in a way that was not in 100% support of the OP were probably somewhat addressing the silly pseudo-threat that came along with it. I know I’m sick of seeing it. It’s not terribly productive turning your request into a demand -

“Personally I’d like to move on n be done with them, if they don’t get the picture here by NOW!”

Fizbin,

I agree with you that making threats directed at Steinberg is pointless, but I can also feel the poster’s frustration. Anyone that really wants this feature and has followed the saga of Mediabay drag and drop functionality has probably had had the urge to leave Steinberg behind and move on to a differemt product at some point. I actually own Studio One also and one of the main reasons I purchased Studio One is because of the workflow where drag and drop is concerned. At the time, S1’s timestretch was also better and since they have added ARA technology (Melodyne), but overall I still prefer working with Cubase. If Cubase had drag and drop functionality and ARA I probably wouldn’t be in the forum posting right now, but posting is the only way to let Steinberg know what is important you.

For those who may be new to the topic, this has been going on for many years where Steinberg claims that it is the VSTi developers’ problem and the VSTi developers’ claim that the problem lies with Steinberg’s coding. Many believe that Steinberg has coded in a way to make it difficult for other developers’ in an attempt to push their own products such as Halion 4 which does allow drag and drop from Mediabay directly into the sampler. Regardless of the reason, after asking for this feature for so long, I just hope it happens. Come on Steinberg!!!

Holding my breath…turning blue in the face…passing out…regaining consciousness…

Have you added the feature yet? :smiley:

Quinn

Hi Meta,

Can you use a hotkey to copy an audio sample from Mediabay and paste it into Maschine, MachFive3 or Kontakt? If so, please share with us. I have never heard of anyone doing thiis before and I would be interrested in hearing how you do it. Maybe you have the solution to the problem I have had for years.

Thanks,
Quinn

+1.

I would love for Cubase to finally offer a standard drag and drop from Mediabay that could work with samplers like Maschine, Machfive3 and Kontakt. The workarounds are ok, but after using Studio One there is no comparison. I agree that Cubase and Mediabay have their own advantages over Studio One, but I don’t understand why this has been such an issue for Steinberg. People have been begging for this feature for years now.

Quinn

+10

It’s not they can’t, it’s just a dictatorship from steinberg to force people to use their dirty médiabay where everything is lost and slow. For this reason, i’de choose using Battery instead of Groove one for example. In battery i can drag and drop directly my wave file AND i have a browser, thanks god to respect people freedom.

the S1v2 browser is so far behind the powerful and versatile Mediabay

For you maybe. Some people prefer something simple and FAST !

Talk about dinosaurs, .fxp and .fxb presets are very limited compared to the more modern VSTpresets… at this point I can’t even imagine going back to the dark ages before VSTpresets and the Mediabay.

FXP and fxb was simple, accessible for everyone. They just suppressed it because to force people to use the média bay.