Cubase 7

I’m hoping Steinberg recognises how finely balanced all the DAWs are at the moment and what a critical difference a wrong turn will make for any of them. C6.5 is VERY stable, VERY efficient and VERY popular.

Everybody is familiar with the process of getting on a new band wagon and hanging on for dear life till it settles down but this is not compulsory. I have a perfectly good family car. If someone offered me a Porsche with square wheels and the promise that the wheels will be sorted soon - as much as I love the idea of being a Porsche owner, I still have to get my kids to clubs and classes. Thus…no contest.

I really WANT C7 to be better than the previous version but I don’t NEED it to be better(unlike every other version up till now) and that’s the critical difference for me. :wink:

Cubase 7 is not a Porsche with square wheels. A car with square wheels wouldn’t work at all. C7 works. More like C7 is a Porsche in which the console has been rearranged, tach and speedo in different places, shifter has different layout. Very fair for those who test drove this Porsche to not like it and have specific complaints. It would be hard to understand those that just talk to others and then proceed to call the new Porsche “unuasble”. Those that would like the new Porsche wouldn’t have to be simpletons “jumping on a bandwagon holding on for dear life” Maybe the new design works for them. They would be surprised to know that the car they drive to work and for pleasure on the weekends is promised to work one day. It works for them today.

Perhaps citing “square wheels” does do C7 a disservice but the Porsche analogy works on other levels - Porsche are famous for an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach to their engineering which is why most of their models look the same. True enthusiasts would not like the speedo in a different place and Porsche know it.

I did not describe anyone as a “simpleton”. Gear lust makes children of us all.

As for
‘It would be hard to understand those that just talk to others and then proceed to call the new Porsche “unusable”’

…I listened to others before buying previous versions. Was that unwise of me? Further more I’ve always found myself agreeing with the majority on this site. It’s one of the reasons I come here and the opinion of detractors is just as valid as yours. :wink:

Good for you. I am happy version 7 gets every day usage from you.

Listen, don’t tell me what I should say. I stated clearly, very very clearly, that I do not have cubase 7 and I also stated earlier"

At least, I wouldn’t trust using it if I had it based on all the reports in the C7 forum of issues and the major loss of control surface integration with mixer views.

I can comment on status with such certainty because a great deal of issues listed here in this thread and in the cubase 7 forum that there would be way too many issues reported that I would come across in daily use. And, and this is a big AND, I am not the only one that feels this way either. So, what does classify it as being severely incomplete?

How about:

*The mixer does not scale well. The buttons compress on top of eachother, text just smooshes to a blob etc…
*Mixer to Project synch is semi-broken, primarily if you use folders but under other scenarios as well.
*crippled/removed/missing key commands (because of course I hate using the mouse)

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=33412
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=33953
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums
Steinberg Forums

And these are only ones that would impact me. How about people scoring to video? Lets try that in Cubase 7 right this moment.

I stand behind my statement that it in its current state it is severely incomplete. It is okay too. Hey, they did a major re-write with a boatload of feature adds. Steinberg will correct problems and optimize the new code. It is how it works. There is nothing wrong with that, however what is wrong is painting a pretty picture of cubase 7 especially to people like me making a living doing audio recording and production. My life would be miserable! I am so thankful Steinberg has classified the issues to a dedicated forum. It shows there is a lot of attention being paid to their work and the work of their customers with reporting what they find. I have no doubt in my mind that they will polish their work, but right now, it is a diamond in the rough.

Woodcrest
Thanks for clarifying your position and opinions regarding a product you’ve never used as " severely incomplete"and putting into perspective how much more important your work at audio production is. I’m ashamed of myself for pointing out features that I like in C7 as I now realize I could have painted a pretty picture and fooled an important professional such as yourself.

As to others who use C7 everyday and like the new features , be advised that your experiences are invalid. You need to be listening to the real pros who’ve never touched it but can point you to folks they’ve never met who will in turn prove that its “severely incomplete”. Don’t believe your lying eyes, I won’t believe mine anymore.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

To try and discount what I said based on my current feature usage with the current known issues of version 7 that would impact it because I don’t own Cubase 7 is just wrong. If none of these issues were confirmed or were all system specific, you may have a valid point, but these issues are real.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. That was not intended.

You are a pro too! Feel better??? :laughing:

Let me make one thing crystal clear.

In no way did I state I was more “anything” than anyone else using this software. My usage of the software is for income not for pleasure though I do enjoy my job. If something comes up in the software that affects my work it not only affects me, my income, my work flow and creativity, contract timelines and budgets, it affects client relations, their creativity and their feeling of security, especially when work is lost. There is no way I would put myself into 10hr work days with a piece of software that gets in the way of the work that has to be done.

You are a taxi driver. Would you drive a brand new taxi cab that keeps needing frequent shop visits or would you drive your older taxi cab that never fails?

You are a taxi driver. Would you drive a brand new taxi cab that keeps needing frequent shop visits or would you drive your older taxi cab that never fails?

All hail Tom :laughing:

Seriously though, this topic is pretty spot on. It gives the OP a mix of fact and opinion. I maintain that if you keep 6.5 installed and also install 7, you have all the options, there’s little risk. Don’t mess with your clients, but at the same time, you can evolve with the new product, eventually produce with it… if you are worried about that.

Thanks guys for a lively debate. I decided to upgrade and I like the new mixer, very Pro Tools, and pictures on the track - very Reaper. See? Steinberg do listen :wink: Cubase 7 wouldn’t play my current project - it just sat there completely unresponsive - but it DID load an old 32-bit project which Cubase 6.5 64 bit refused to open. The screens seem a little darker but I haven’t played with the graphics settings yet.

Unlike a lot of you guys I’m not commercially active any more, so I can afford to get my hands dirty. GAME ON :laughing:

LOL!

Where may I take you. sir? :slight_smile:

We’re getting off topic but the original problem seem to have been at least pushed forward.
I hope it’s OK to drift into this:
Perfect parallel parking

Nice! :laughing:

+1

Soooo Kool!
{‘-’}

^ :laughing: