Cubase 8.0.5 is out...

I’m sure it’s well-lit and I’m sure there is fair compensation, but all the bonus in the world doesn’t change the fact that at some level, in software, you can only hit a nail with one hammer.

Someone, somewhere, was working over the holiday.

As for outsourcing, India, for example, isn’t as cheap as you might think. I lived and worked in Bangalore for a stint, overseeing a whole floor of software engineers and they were the most educated, brilliant people I’ve ever worked with. I felt like an idiot. And they were very well-paid, to match.

But I suspect that Cubase, the core parts, are all done in-house. And I suspect the core developer team is a lot smaller than you think.

I bet it’s around 6-10 people that are key bottlenecks.

Same issue here …(CLR.DLL error) Solved by installing new Microsoft NET Framework 4.51. Just download it from Microsoft and install. After that Cubase 8.05 update works. Hope this helps.

All the more reason to deliver a solid release! The fault for all the niggles and annoyances of a new SB release is not with the software engineers, it’s with SB/Yamaha directors rushing to market with lack of “real world” beta testing before that release.

Just wish to point out this is not the case.

No disagreement from me. It would appear slightly less features and more testing / fixing existing features might be the best way to utilize Steinberg’s fixed resources.

As I’ve said many times, Marketing needs to find a way to sell “stability and improved compatibility.”

I put this on Marketing, ultimately.

This isn’t correct, is it? I thought the official way now was to use the Issues thread, which gets monitored. Then as stuff is replicated and agreed, it is moved to Collected Issues, then from there it (hopefully) gets fixed. In the changelog you get the same numbers that appear in the Collected Issues post subject headers. So as far as I can see, don’t swamp them with support tickets for the same thing, use the Issues subforum.

I had the same error message. I ignored it (on my laptop and my desktop machine) and it installed without a problem.

Steve.

If SB would just fixed the click/metronome in this release it would have made me a little bit happy. If I bought a FULL program for £82 and the click didn’t even work I would be pretty dammed hacked about it, but this is software that costs over £400 and just the update alone was £82. Please fix the click it can’t be hard to do and it is such a needed component.

Update .NET Framework to the last release.

All this apologetic talk about developers, programmers, and administrators is actually annoying the hell out of me. I don’t care whose fault it is. It is most definitely not MINE!! Steinberg advertised their product and highlighted all the reasons why we should buy it: Improved engine, faster loading times, plus tons of improvements and gems to make my job more pleasant. This is the reason I forked out my money. I should be getting exactly what I paid for. No excuses. I am a musician, studio engineer. I work. I have no desire to be a paying beta - tester, which is the new job that Steinberg has saddled me with - against my will.
Steinberg’s behaviour in this situation, is unethical, unprincipled, immoral and dishonest. I am very very disappointed. I am trying hard to keep being a Cubase user, but dirty gimmicks like this last unfinished, undeveloped, clunky and buggy Cubase Pro fiasco is really forcing me towards a divorce. Wake up guys, before it is too late. Stop alienating us with this bs. This last stunt you pulled is not cool, man. Not cool at all.

I just don’t understand how this wasn’t at the top of the list. It’s such a basic and integral function of a DAW.

[quote=“kachna”]
Same issue here …(CLR.DLL error) Solved by installing new Microsoft NET Framework 4.51. Just download it from Microsoft and install. After that Cubase 8.05 update works. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

[quote=“lordadb”]

Update .NET Framework to the last release.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help!!! :slight_smile:

I’m still using 7.5 for paid work (sigh)

Time for another Public Beta program IMHO

This 8 is all smoke and revenue raising mirrors, nothing that worthwhile, you have to wonder why time after time on every release the same old things get broken every time, the company seems to have no corporate memory now of other release disasters in the past

I really think it may be time for a month by month subscription model to keep things both up to date and legacy intact without arbitrary artificial revenue and distribution deadlines for the company

I seem to care less and less each month

Hippo

Actually, despite rants, in general C8 has been very good update here, the best release steinberg have had for years. The performance boost has been substantial and it’s been exceptionally stable.

The problems some users have been experiencing have not appeared here, suggesting system specific problems on some issues, for example, the double click not working does indeed seem to be pointing to Native Instrumenst Replika, if it’s loaded into a project, double clicking does not work, or at least only randomly, take it out and all seems ok again.

The .05 update seems to do what it says on the tin and there’s no regrets on updating from 7.5 at all, despite my ranting. Of course there still are issues to resolve, some (seemingly) minor that should never have been there on release, some more serious carried forward from 7.5 (instrument tracks outputs for one) but that’s market pressures for you.

There Certainly no show stoppers here at least. Hopefully regular hot fixes will rule the day rather than waiting for months on end (if at all) for fixes.

Though thank goodness for system restore and side by side installation! However there’s no polite thankyou due to SB from this part of the planet, people have paid a lot and should have a fully working product, preferably sanctioned by a wide user base at all levels following rigorous beta testing in the areas that are specific to the way they use the application on a day to day level.

You know, that’s an interesting angle that I never thought about.

With a Subscription model, they would have no need to “Save Up” features for the “Big New” paid release.
They would also have no pressure to release something before it’s ready - although I suppose they could offer Beta Versions to paid subscribers (with ample warning).

You know, though, many people swear they’ll be gone the minute Steinberg enacts such a thing.
Not sure why . . if it was priced right.

Hugh

me either. However I didn’t start drilling into it much until about the day this patch was created 12/17/2014.

So I’m hoping my bugs, or at least a few will be fixed during the next patch.

Cubase 8 64 bit IS installed
The 8.0.5 update is not updating

Any thoughts???

Oh dear PT! It certainly looks as if it’s installed and the update is applied! What’s gone on here then?

Be patient and let’s see if we can between us, get it up and running for you! I’m sure we can between us!

Did you update from C7.5 or was it a clean install ?

Did you, before the install create a system restore point or disk image?

If not, no worries, we can go through it step by step :slight_smile:

Not very happy with a subscription service, nor the cloud based servers that probably would be at the centre of the action, in fact a recent pole on this topic came back an overwhelming NO last time I looked at that post.

Better to buy the product straight off, it’s your then, at least you sell it if you choose to go down a different path, having spent lots and supported for years since way back in the humble Atari days, it’s a no go here for monthly subscription fees to pay for a fix every week! After all, Cubase is not a huge market sector by any stretch, before you know it you’ll be paying for cloud storage for files on servers that can be hacked into (as recent events at sony film have found out)

There’s nothing wrong with the current model, they just need to enlist a broad base of beat testers in the real world to find all these little bugs and annoyances. Microsoft are doing it with Windows 10 (it’s pretty nifty actually) and no is leaking photos and features out in advance. Musicians are notoriously secretive about their recordings until completed and mixed and made public, SB need to get this beta testing thing sorted once and for all, to every ones benefit!

Interesting idea for the reasons you mention, but I think Subscription models are only tolerable when the added value far surpasses what one could afford to buy outright.

For example, I’m on the “Adobe Cloud” (rolls eyes) monthly subscription and get about 6 hard-hitting applications that I didn’t get with the package I purchased before the cloud was available.

Even with all this added value, I still don’t like not owning the software.

So for something like Cubase it would really bother me. Every month I’d be cursing the bill. There would be no added value. And since I already own it, the monthly fee would have to be really, really low.

Man, even just thinking about a monthly fee for Cubase is unsettling.

Especially for a product category where at any moment, the version I’m on may be the version I’m stuck with for a long time, due to incompatibilities with all the moving parts of 3rd party plugins, hardware controllers, etc.

No, I think a DAW is something we’re going to have to own.

That is, unless Steinberg wants to invent a VST spec so bullet proof (and shift everyone on it) that it ensures everything will work all the time, for everyone. Ditto for all the hardware that’s out there.

So, that’s not gonna happen.

I’m so gun-shy about updates at this point, I just bought a second 128GB backup SSD just for 8.0.5 so that I don’t have to erase my 8.0.0 backup (that just saved my butt with an internet virus). I’m gonna keep two rotating image backups now.

Which bring me to my next point. I’m like “this close” to taking the good advice of others and unplugging my DAW from the internet, completely. And a DAW under a monthly subscription service, but without an internet connection would be a nightmare.