Cubase 8 32-bit performing better than 64-bit?

Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased Cubase 8. I originally installed the 32-bit version as I was under the impression that many 32-bit plugins would not work in 64-bit.

However, after reading about the in-house Cubase bridging program and JBridge, I decided to install the 64-bit version of Cubase 8 to take advantage of the extra ram in my PC (8 gig, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit).

After installing Cubase 8 64-bit, I loaded a project that I had made in 32-bit to find that although I was missing a few plugins, everything seemed to be working ok.

The major problem, is that my CPU has gone through the roof, almost totally maxing out, whereas the same project in Cubase 32-bit runs high but still ok; despite NOT using JBridge at this time.

Question; why is my 32-bit Cubase 8 outperforming 64-bit on CPU usage?

Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated as I really want to make the jump to 64-bit.

Asio Guard is set at the same setting (medium) for both, but I have tried all three settings (and OFF) to no avail.

Thanks again,

Steve.

64 bit is not just about addressability of RAM. running 32 bit code in a 64 bit environment requires extra CPU cycles. Get rid of all 32 bit plugs and you should see an improvement - or at least be where you were on the 32bit system but have more memory to play with.

Thanks for your reply. So are you suggesting that doubling my ram availability from 4 gig to 8 gig (32-bit to 64-bit) will not improve my CPU performance on exactly the same project, on the same computer?

If your project is memory-constrained and you’re paging then increased memory should improve performance - not necessarily CPU - paging is by necessity highly optimized and very efficient. changing the mode of instructions from 32 to 64 bit may burn more CPU than the overhead of having to deal with paging. Is an almost impossible question to answer. If your project is happily running within the constraints of the memory you have, then extra memory will do nothing and changing the mode of 32 bit instructions to 64 bit will burn more CPU.

I have a large static paging file sitting on an SSD - if I go mental and load many instances of memory-hungry samplers the performance hit is almost negligible - I can see by resource manager that it’s paging heavily - but it copes fine.

Oh, ok so there may not be a noticeable drop in cpu usage within Cubase 64bit compared to 32bit? especially if 32 bit plug-ins are bridged. But surely a clean new project in 64bit Cubase shouldn’t run the cpu at twice that of the same in 32bit? Should it? Especially now that all bridging programs are removed.

If you’re running 64 bit with all 64 bit plugs then correct, cpu should not increase at all. Sounds like a problem of some sort.

It’s a problem alright, lol One that i can’t seem to find a solution for, and one that keeps me firmly rooted in 32bit for the time being at least. :confused:

Hi Rogue,
Had you ever found a solution for this? I have the same problem using Cubase 64 bit. Granted, I am on an older version but it seems this hasn’t improved with later versions. I can set up the same project in 64 as was in 32 and the cpu is twice as high. That was whether I had 32 bit plugs in or not. It is also the case pre or post j-bridge.
I was looking to upgrade to Pro 8.5 because I needed to access more ram but not if my cpu is going to be limited.
I can do the same with what I now have.

Just curious if this will help my system. Can you specify what “large” is ? And, do you have any paging file on the OSC Drive or only on another SSD other than the OS C Drive ?

I’ve read that splitting the paging file is also a good idea, but, i have not noticed any real difference there.