Cubase 8.5.3 Crashes when editing Midi

Lately Cubase 8.5.3 has been crashing when editing midi. Typically it occurs when:

1. Midi input via controller, but usually when drawing in automation.

2. Occurs more frequently when multiple midi tracks are open in the piano roll.

Usually what occurs is that, in the drop down menu showing the tracks open in the piano roll, Cubase will go from displaying all the selected tracks to only a fraction of the amount–although the notes are still visible in the editor. Then, the screen will flash, select a different partt, and then the program will freeze until it eventually shuts down.

I am usually using a large template for orchestral mockups, and I prefer to select everything while I am working, but this occurs even if I only have 2 tracks loaded into a project. I am not sure if it is a preference thing or what, but I would prefer to not have to reset all of my keybinds and logical editor functions. At first I thought it was due to a vst plugin; however, I went plugin by plugin until there was nothing left in the VST file: the issue is still present.

I have had to reinstall cubase a few different times, and updated from an older version, so something may have been messed up along the way. If I have to reset my preferences and app-data, so be it, but is there a way to at least save my template files?

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?