Cubase 8.5/Melodyne Studio 4 - My Pitch and Time results!

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could repeat my test to see if you get the same results?

I imported a 75bpm drum loop into Cubase 8.5 and imported the same loop into the standalone version of Melodyne Studio 4. In Cubase I lowered the tempo to 40bpm using the Elastique Pro - Time algorithm and changed the tempo in Melodyne to 40bpm too. My results were that there were less artefacts in Melodyne so the sound was more usable so conclude that Melodyne is better at timestretching however I went back to the original 75bpm loop in Cubase and raised the pitch by 8 semitones using the Elastique Pro - Pitch algorithm and did the same in Melodyne. My results were that Cubase retained the pitch better with less artefacts. The Melodyne version had a phasing sound which I’ve heard many times especially on many official Melodyne videos. So I conclude that Cubase 8.5 is better at pitch shifting and Melodyne is better at timestretching!

I’m very interested in your thoughts after repeating my simple test?

Kind regards,

James Colah

http://www.twitter.com/jamescolah

In Cubase, did you choose the appropriate Elastique Pro algorithm (Elastique Pro - Time, Elastique Pro - Pitch, etc.)?

Haahaha that’s hilarious Vic - did you actually read my post? :laughing:

:blush: :laughing: I did, but it was a bit like not being able to find my pencil, which was right there on my desk in front of me all the time… it went by un-noticed… sorry. :wink:.
But it still begs the question… did you get any better results if you change the algorithm (even if not the expected one)?

Yes, it’s a matter of common knowledge that Melodyne and Elastique have very different stretching / shifting algorithms.
It’s highly program material depended how the algorithm reacts / sounds (texture vs transient rich material, mono vs stereo files and so on). In Melodyne you can chose between different algorithms as well (e.g. universal, percussive).
In my ears I like the Elastique pitch shifting the most too (it’s also available as a single plugin from Elastique). In terms of stretching I usually prefer Melodyne over Elastique. Mostly because Melodyne preserve the peaks / the overall level better. With Elastique I very often get “clipping” if I stretch normalized audio files. However with very transient rich material (not looking at the peak levels) I have the feeling that Elastique do preserve the transients better.

For the better part i concur, melodyne for time stretching and pitch CORRECTION, but Elastique for pitch shifting.
Been working on a lot of conga loops lately in melodyne and i’m not sure i agree re transients though… obviously just mho…