Cubase 8.5 - New Drum Map Midi Features - Issue!

I upgraded to 8.5 once I saw the cool new midi features.

I’ve already created many midi drum tracks, and the biggest seller in 8.5 for me was the ability to add midi notes by double clicking and simultaneously change velocity, which would be a huge time saver. But after pointing and selecting individual diamonds/beats on my previously created drum tracks, holding down alt, cmd, and all sorts of variations, I realised I cannot change velocities. The notes either delete or move position, depending on what selection tool I use (Object Select or Drumstick).

From what I could see on Cubase 8.5 preview videos, I was convinced I could tap on any previously recorded diamond/beat, hold, and change velocity. But from what I can tell, it seems to me that this only works when adding in beats/notes and holding. Really really disappointing!!! Am I missing something?

I hope my post makes sense!

Thanks

I’m not sure if this is any use, but in the drum map page, at the top tool bar is a new box, mine says “Dr-ML” in it and there’s a diamond beside that text.If you click on the diamond, all the notes turn into bars which lets you lengthen any note. To make it faster you probably could set up a keyboard shortcut to do this.

Thanks Kwackman.

Sorry but that’s not the issue. I don’t need to lengthen notes, I want to be able to change their velocity by clicking directly on them, rather than selecting and changing velocity in timeline below. I know when adding notes and holding mouse button down simultaneously, this is possible, but not on notes already created. Know what I mean?

Lasoo the events you wish to change with a left click/drag and then you can alter the value in the bottom pane/value editor… spent several very happy hours with the new editor yesterday… :smiley:

Ah, Sorry, my fault, didn’t read your post properly.
It’s a bit weird that I came to help (by answering a question that wasn’t asked!) and end up getting help myself!
I didn’t know about holding the mouse down while adding notes to change velocity.
So, thanks for that.

Again guys, that’s not the issue, I’m fully aware I can select individual notes and then edit them in the velocity pane below!! "… I want to be able to change their velocity by clicking directly on them, rather than selecting and changing velocity in timeline below. I know when adding notes and holding mouse button down simultaneously, this is possible, but not on notes already created… "

Double click to enter the note but hold the 2nd click down and move the mouse up or down. Takes a but to get used to.

Edit. Sorry just read your post above. You cant do this on notes already there, but you can one click delete and then the double click start again new note same place with the changing volume thing…still very quick.

Thanks Mrhehon, yep looks like this is the only way to do it, but I’m probably faster just using the old velocity lane below :confused:

You can set up a tool modifier for that: Preferences > Tool Modifiers > Select Tool > Edit Velocity

I have it assigned to CTRL/CMD and when i hold the modifier, i can drag up or down on an existing note to change it’s velocity.