Cubase 8.5 opens desktop

so i guess it will be fixed in the next update of cubase, or windows 10 update?

Having same issue at random moments. Seems to happen only to certain CPRs.

Don’t expect anything…

The VCA feature is NOT on par of what it should be even after between 18-24 months or so.

the new window handling is NO better than the old IMO.
But as said open it in maximized mode makes it a bit better.

Just out of curiosity, is there any Advantage to having the window max’ed. I always have it set so the Windows Desktop is always visible in the Background; … don’t see why I’d want the Background Grey.

I have the same problem plus I keep getting a menu popup when I mouse close to the edge of the mixer window - that brings up the computer desktop - and the same when I open a plugin. I also get an unwanted popup when I mouse close to the project window edge. A constant annoyance. I reported the problem and it was accepted as an actual problem. No fix so far, unless you know of one. No amateur theories wanted, though.

Yep, I have both problems mentioned in this thread;

1 - The background keeps disappearing (btw: just double click on the top menu bar to bring it back)
2 - The boarder popups keep appearing at the wrong times and I hate them, it’s really disruptive and I want it gone!

This thread is about the Desktop Cover deactivating, there are several threads about the edge popup menus, it would be best to keep threads on topic. Thanks!

My MAIN problem with this bug is that, when it happens, it DISABLES the top menu entirely. I have to go through a number of ‘dances’ in order to regain access to -any- menu functions. This has caused me no small amount of short-term angst the first few times it happened (Will I lose my work? How can I get back to History? Etc.)

Since SB has opened the door to rolling updates a crack: to -me-, THIS merits an 8.5.16 fix. As a former dev I shudder at writing that for I know it’s a drag, but this is seriously annoying.

I haven’t seen any other users report that, and am not seeing that here either. What else is going on when that happens?

I am -sure- it happens to everyone… even if they haven’t noticed or brought it up. It’s a classic ‘modal window’ issue–at least in Windows. The Project Window minimises and there is a ‘phantom’ window open (but not visible) -somewhere- which now has focus. The menu is disabled because the app is expecting input from that phantom window. But since you can’t find it? It just looks as though the menu is disabled.

My ‘solution’ is to click madly on MixConsole or tab between other Windows apps and after 2-20 tries, the menu re-enables. I’m sure there is a pattern to this. But since I can’t make it fail on demand… and since I have to get back to work when it happens, I’m not the best choice for more details.

I also suspect it may be CPR-specific for some reason—though that may be a red herring.

yep same problem, beyond annoying, just bought 8.5 it’s like un-usable in current state.

This happened to me.

Actually it was solely only reason i returned my copy of Cubase 8.5 under 30 day return item at Thomann.de

I sent email to steinberg with link to this thread (it was single page back then now there are two pages) but noone replied to me. I could not work with Cubase. I mean i could but in order to make main menu work i had to click under specific order. And i had to do that every time i load new plugin.

Very annoying. I had “desktop” just by loading any plugin vst or Cubase internal plugins. Really it was major showstopper. I used Cubase back when it was v6 and actually i never had such problems in 10 years of using Cubase and previous versions. I use Ableton and Studio one. Tested a lot of other apps and no other app had such issues.

People at Thomann.de asked me why i want to return product? I provided them with detailed description and this thread and they could confirm my issues at their own system and they accepted my return of Cubase.

I was really disappointed. V8.5 seems improved, mixer is way better but window handling is nothing short of shocking.

Once when this bug is fixed i might consider to buy Cubase again.

Thank you.

Sorry for making this post jump again. Did they ever fixed this issue? Is this on to do or something?

Still happening here. Not as often, though. Usually I just get a full screen with blue bg.

Oh that’s too bad (for me) then…looking forward to see this happen. Hopefully before Cubase 9…