Cubase 8 and Cubase AI

Just got a new Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard and it came with Cubase AI. I already own Cubase 8.

I haven’t installed AI because I was wondering if there are any advantages to loading AI or is all the functionality already in Cubase 8?

One thing it could be good for is a laptop you travel with (where you don’t want to use the dongle). The AI/LE/Elements versions do not require the USB dongle. Otherwise, everything it has is in Cubase Pro.

Perfect… that is what I was thinking of doing, both traveling and doing live performances. I have been in a situation before where I forgot the dongle and everything had to stop. Also I’m guessing AI is a little lighter weight so my less powerful Laptop won’t have to work so hard.

Also I’m guessing AI is a little lighter weight so my less powerful Laptop won’t have to work so hard.

If anything I’d guess it will be missing ASIO guard so could perform worse.

I have a lot of “junk” on my laptop (macbookpro) and for some reason it’s running slow, so I’m planning on just refreshing everything on it. I’ll put Cubase AI and a lighter version of Ableton on and will let you know how it all works.