Cubase 8 Artist - Cannot monitor recorded tracks

I am a new user to Cubase on the PC although I have been using Cubasis on my IPad for a while.

I have been using the Cubase 8 Quick Start Tutorials and am stuck with an issue which is probably due to my ignorance.

I am using a UR44 interface. Microphone inputs on Inputs 1 & 2. Selected Vocal & Acoustic Guitar template. BUS set up with 2 mono connections. Using Yamaha ASIO driver. I can record two tracks, no problem.

The problem comes when I try to play them back. I am using headphones on the interface to listen, and speaker button activated on both tracks. Cubase will not playback through the headphones unless I eliminate the mono BUS connections on the VST connection.

Can anyone tell me what I"m doing wrong?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what I"m doing wrong?

Probably activating the speaker button. That’s for switching on Input monitoring while recording.

Thanks. At least in using Cubasis on the IPad you have to use the speaker buttons whether you are recording or listening to a track to hear it.

What confuses me is that I have to create a new bus and the mono tracks to be able to record new tracks in Cubase 8, but I can’t hear them unless I remove the same mono tracks (speaker button activated or not, and input stereo connection existing or not). Perhaps I need to create a new output connection on the bus to route the recorded tracks to the output side, although that seems like a lot of trouble to have to be creating your own output connections all the time. Sorry for my lack of experience here.

What confuses me is that I have to create a new bus and the mono tracks to be able to record new tracks in Cubase 8, but I can’t hear them unless I remove the same mono tracks

this doesn’t make sense…if you create a mono track and then remove the same mono track you have an empty project!

Add a stereo bus in vst connections and assign it to your outs 1/2. It doesn’t matter if those outs aren’t plugged anywhere.
Also you should probably make sure Control Room (Studio Tab) is disabled for now.

Whatever you are doing you don’t need to do. You set up vst connections properly with an output and your inputs busses and then all you need to do is select the correct input bus on your trasck. All tracks will automatically be routed to your stereo outout bus and so let you monitor them playing back (speaker icon off)

Thanks. You are correct that the speaker monitor buttons need to be in the “off” position, and the default output setup works to pass the recorded tracks through to the stereo output on the mixer and then to the interface headphones.

I went back and looked at Cubasis on my iPad and it doesn’t matter whether the speaker monitor buttons are on or off. You can still hear the playback of recorded tracks on the UR44 interface.

It makes sense that the monitor buttons should be in the “off” position, otherwise you risk feedback from amp speakers if they are connected.

I appreciate the feedback from both you and Laurence. I’ll learn to question my old habits on another platform.

Mike