Cubase 8 crashes when closing Kontakt

Why would you want to run jbridge for Kontakt?

Because not every plug-in that I own runs on a 64-bit environment.

I’ve experienced increasing problems with plug-ins that crash Cubase on opening or closing. The only common denominator I’ve found, is that they are all VST2 plug-ins. I’ve had no problems (of that kind) with VST3 plug-ins.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that Steinberg is sabotaging the VST2 format but they, probably, aren’t paying much attention to it either (which is fully understandable).

I’m amazed that a major developer, such as Native Instruments, stubbornly refuses to adopt the VST3 format. As far as I’m concerned, it only leads to lost sales.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I don’t have a VSTPlugins folder in my program files(x86) directory. Plus, I can’t even add my C:\Program files\Native Instruments\32bit VSTPlugins folder in the Cubase plug in manager. I run 64bit cubase 8. Upgrading to kontakt 5.5 didn’t help either. Ugh, so frustrating.

Any updates on this one??

Got this problem as well with the latest version 5.5.1.451

Hi - I registered an account here just to try and help you guys. I too had this exact problem… but with FL Studio, not Cubase. When using Kontakt it would freeze the host (“not responding”) if I minimised or closed the Kontakt instance. It happened randomly, but more often if I closed or clicked away from Kontakt while a Kontakt sound was still playing. It totally killed my creativity and I felt like Kontakt was unusable because you’re constantly on eggshells waiting for the next crash. The crash was also quite detrimental to my operating system (Windows 10)… it would nearly bring the whole system down, infact after each Kontakt crash the computer would take over 10 minutes just to shut down. Must have been punishing for the poor thing :laughing:

After weeks of frustration I think I may have fixed it. I can’t confirm as I need to do more testing but so far, so good.

Please try this and tell me if it works:

1. Start an instance of Kontakt
  2. Make sure the Browse tab visible
  3. Click on Files in the browser tab
  4. Click the View dropdown menu just next to ‘Import’
  5. Uncheck (turn off) show network drives
  6. Uncheck (turn off) show removable drives
  7. Uncheck (turn off) show foreign formats
  8. Close Kontakt, close your DAW - restart DAW and open Kontakt

See if the dreaded minimise/window close crash is a thing of the past.

I don’t know how or why, but the above settings were the only thing that fixed this crash bug. I tried everything else (update FL STudio, update ASIO drivers, re-install Kontakt etc) and then something so simple as unchecking 3 boxes did the trick.

Try it. Let me know if it works and I will escalate this to Native Instruments.

Or… don’t try it at all. Infact - forget I said anything! I’ll go help some other people :stuck_out_tongue:

I too have the exact same white screen/kontakt5 issue and have tried all the mentioned remedies except the last which I can’t perform because the “file” tab displays empty panes and the spinning wheel icon so the other drop downs will not respond. Windows 7 - Cubase 8 - 32gb ram - Kontakt ver. 5.5.1.451

Solved. I had two pointing devices in operation, a mouse and a touch pad. Removed the touchpad and the problem stopped. All the other software installed did not exhibit any problems with this two pointer set up, only Kontakt.

Hi - I registered an account here just to thank you. your solution worked for me and saved me from an insane amount of frustration.

Again thank you very very much.