"Cubase 8 has stopped working"

Hi All,

I just installed the latest Cubase (8.5.20 - build 169 - 64bit - Apr 29 2016) and whenever I open and work in any project, then close Cubase (File\Quit), I get the error “Cubase 8 has stopped working”.

If I launch Cubase by double clicking on it’s icon, let it fully open, then close it without opening a project, I do not get the error.

If I launch Cubase, open a project, work or not work on the project, then close Cubase (File\close), I get the error.

So, it seems related to a project being opened then closed.

I don’t get the error while using the app but only after closing it.

This is a fresh install, not an upgrade.

I’ve included screenshots of the error and an event log with details.

Anyone else seeing this with the newest build?

Thanks.

specs:

• W7 - 64bit
  • 16GB ram
  • i7 quad
    cubase2.PNG
    cubase1.PNG
    cubase3.PNG

Hi,

Could you try to create a new Empty project, save it, reopen it and quit Cubase (to repeat the process to jak Cubase crash)? Does it crash now?

Most often these crashes are related to any 3rd party plug-in. Make sure your plug-ins are up-to-date, please.

If this doesn’t help, send me the crashdump file (located in Documents/Steinberg/CrashDumps folder) via PM.

To see if it has anything to do with corrupted preference settings please try this procedure:

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/nl/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences.html

Hi,

I performed the following test cases:

opened cubase, created new empty, did not add any instruments, saved, quit cubase, no error

opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, quit cubase, no error

opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, added HALion Sonic SE, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

opened cubase, opened previously created no longer empty project, deleted HALion Sonic SE, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, (now empty again since Halion deleted previously), quit cubase, no error

opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, added HALion, did not save, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

I also repeated the above steps, verbatim, adding and deleting the following instruments individually:

Prologue (Cubase)
Kontakt (Native Instruments)
Sytrus (Image-Line)

Definitely seems to be any plugin, not just 3rd party.

Note: there is no “Crashdumps” folder in the location you mentioned. I suspect because the app is not truly crashing. I included an attachment to show you what I am seeing. Let me know if this is not the correct location.

Could be a midi driver not releasing in a timely matter, resulting in a error message.

Hi,

I just wonder about the “My Documents” folder. Isn’t it just Documents by default on Windows (sorry, I’m not Windows user)?

Could you try to add a MIDI track instead of the Instrument track and repeat the test, please? Could you try to add an Audio track and insert any audio plug-in (VST) and repeat the test, please?

Yes, in Windows it’s often referred to as “Documents” but it’s actually “My Documents”. It is annoying.

I did a search and found several DMP files named “Cubase8.5.exe.nnnn.dmp”. They were in “C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps”.

I tried to PM one to you but the page says “DMP” not allowed. Then I tried “ZIP” and it said “ZIP” not allowed so not sure how to get it to you.

Can you provide me with the DMP viewer?

Note: I retested everything with the new criteria. Yeah if you haven’t guessed I’m a QA Engineer so I like to start with a negative before I provide you with a positive. So, here are my results:

• opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, quit cubase, no error

• opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, added 1 MIDI track, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

• opened cubase, opened previously created no longer empty project, deleted the MIDI track, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

• opened cubase, opened previously created empty project (now empty again), quit cubase, no error

• opened cubase, opened previously created empty project, added 1 Audio track then inserted Padshop as an instrument, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

• opened cubase, opened previously created no longer empty project, deleted the Audio track, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

• opened cubase, opened previously created no longer empty project, deleted Padshop, saved, quit cubase, “cubase has stopped…” error message

• opened cubase, opened previously created empty project (now empty again), quit cubase, no error

So it appears to be anything.

Update: I uninstalled this version and installed 8.5.0 and same thing… It’s odd because I had all this working before and this never happened. Before, I installed the demo first, then bought the product and installed over the demo. Never had a problem. Since then I wiped my PC fresh and installed the newest Cubase 8.5.20 and now have this issue. Strange.

Please check if you have installed the latest drivers for your hardware like Audiodrivers etc

Hi,

Share the Crashdump file via Dropbox or some other Service with me via PM, please.

Hi,

I did a windows update and the problem has been corrected. No more error.

Thanks for the help!