Cubase 8 vs Cubase 7.5

Hi guys!

Any thoughts about sound quality comparing Cub 8 to 7.5. Performance in 8 has grow does it affect sound quality? :wink: Or still the same thing?

Of course the same great sound quality as usual. Sound engine hasnā€™t changed. Performance improvement results from the asio guard 2. This doesnā€™t affect the sound.

I thought ASIO guard response on stabilityā€¦ itā€™s from Steinberg site release:

Massive engine rebuild
Cubase 8 is probably the most efficient, and fast DAW software available today. For this version we completely rebuilt the entire engine that runs Cubase to make it much faster, more fluid, more snappy. During development, we set up pretty ambitious target benchmarks, and the results speak for themselves.

You know maybe they make and sound improvements))

A digital recording studio shouldnā€™t have a sound - itā€™s taking a string of noughts and ones from the audio interface and is printing them to a wav file - the other way round itā€™s taking the wav files and digitally summing them to create a mix - internal rendering of wave forms is 32 bit so there should be absolutely no degradation of the sound going through Cubase other than if as a user you wreck it or set too low a bit and/or sampling rate or overdrive channels. What Iā€™m saying is you cannot make Cubase sound better - itā€™s already near perfect and has been for years - what we perceive as a ā€œniceā€ sound often involves corrupting the nice perfect recording and start knocking some of the edges off the waveforms - perhaps simulating tape saturation and the like. In a blind test I doubt if anyone could spot one DAW from another with the same uncoloured stems being played and mixed at the same volume. Unless one of them has a nasty 16 bit summing engine or something like that.

I mean maybe those DAW engines has quality as a AD/DA converters, it has it algorhytms of sound processing and which algo is better that you have resulting clearer, balanced and riched sound. So Iā€™ve heard sound test of one mix in different DAWs and what could I say they differs a lot, I guess it was mixed in one way otherways it no sense. But different DAWā€™s has character on different frequency range and image in mid/side parts, also some had very unnatural sound. I donā€™t want to name those DAWs))) But Cubase for me take 2 place among them)) actually on my taste)) And I should notice that it shows difference when you compare it side by side if not those difference maybe unheard. So I am questioning it because thought that it could takes any steps in sounding maybe in better perfect sideā€¦ Anyway I should admit that Cube sound totally professional and this DAW I like most.

C8, C7.5 . . . All sound the same. There would be a lot of very upset users if they didnā€™t. There are no algorithm involved in summing in Cubase and most other DAWā€™s.

I do this for living and trust me, Cubase PRO 8 are great and the sound has change to the better. You will start notice that as soon as you start mixing and summing tracks together. Many things has been improved, software algorithmic EQs, filter etc. The new windows management that are completely new. Now it follows Windows standard layout and all plugins can float and remember last open position.

So to demonstrate, checkout the included Magneto 2 on the channel strip in Cubase PRO 8. Set the filter frequencies to Low: 20hz High: 20.000hz and add + 3-4 db on the filter. The channel strip version of Magneto 2 are based on the new algorithm. Now open the Magneto 2 VST-plugin in Cubase PRO 8. Set the same settings and take a listen. You will hear a massive difference how it sound and its because its based on the old algorithm. The same has happen with the audio-engine even there are those that still donā€™t believe it. The new remake of the audio engine were also official announced by Steinberg. :smiley:

Best Regards
Freddie

You are very intriguing with this post :slight_smile: hopes on magneto cause I canā€™t say that I use it a lot in 7.5 I preferred tape/tube saturation over magneto in most cases. (Strange but cant remember that steinberg said anything about new magnetto in releases) When I update to 8 I think I will post something short about my general impression about 8 sound and workflow.

I hear a difference. To me Cubase 7.5 sounds better than 8.0. Pwmspeed has shared his comparison files :
Cubase 7 is at: MARK BIHLER - PRODUCER / ENGINEER
Cubase 8 is at: MARK BIHLER - PRODUCER / ENGINEER

I did the same test and Iā€™m shocked I hear the same kind of difference. Here Cubase 8.0 sounds harsher and has less depth than 7.5.

As discussed in the thread where those files where posted, such a test should be done without using external gear, plug-ins that emulate analog behaviour, anything that is non-linear, saturation plug-ins, etc. The filter slopes changed and Pro 8.0.0 presented an issue that have been solved in 8.0.20 (another variable that might affect the test) *****

I posted about this topic here:

***** BON-7759 MIXCONSOLE: Fixed an issue where the Slope setting of LC/HC in the MixConsole Pre Rack was not correctly set when loading a project from previous Cubase versions.

Given what Freddie H has said the main difference in sound quality that users might notice is the sound card that is being used. When I upgraded to an RME Fireface UC a few years ago the difference in what I was hearing was phenomenal. Clarity - detail, the works. I am not sure that I would have noticed the difference to Cubase on my previous sound card.

Digital to analogue conversion is the single most important process when listening to mixes and affects the decisions you make in a mix.

@ Fabio

I think I understand the issue.

When you bounce to disk, in the box, without summing in real time thru a console, Cubase 8.0.20 doesnā€™t need to lower the quality with the new Asio guard. It takes the time it needs to process the sound at normal quality.
So when you compare those bounces from v7.5 and v8.0.20 they will null.

When you want to improve the quality of your mixes you have to sum out of the box in real time, or at least use some good external analog processors like analog eq or compressors, reamping, plate or spring reverbs, real reverberation from a room, etc. which will make a real improvement in your sound compared to any emulation plugins.

This is in this situation where you need real time playing from Cubase, where there is a difference between Cubase version 7.5 and version 8.0.20. Cubase 7.5 is really better.

@ Silhouette
Concerning the quality of converters, I use Apogee Symphony, which are hi end converters, and record the master to DSD 5.6 Mhz. We are talking about a comparison in the same situation with the same hardware. This is what I would call a scientific approach : same conditions, different results, so the source is different.

In those same conditions the sound is different between v7.5 and v8.0.20.
This is really bad because we donā€™t want to be stuck with version 7.5 for eternity.

Sorry, but audio quality and ASIO Guard are not related, it is math on the buffers and pre-processing (really badly said). Secondly, if you use external gear, ASIO Guard does not affect it as it canā€™t be applied to external effects and instruments, itā€™s one of its restrictions. Also, if this is in your opinion because of ASIO Guard, disengaging it would kill the problem (ASIO Guard is not particularly useful in none of the situations you mentioned).

That said, Iā€™m aware this discussion will never end and Iā€™m on vacation alreadyā€¦ so, I will just add that if you want to test what comes out of Cubase 7.5 and 8, you really should record their direct output without any further processing or passes through analogue devices, as anything that happens after that stage is not happening inside Cubase anymore.

Kind regards,

Good for you! :sunglasses:

And I agree about the discussion. Iā€™m not even sure why there is a ā€œdiscussionā€? Either you do a test that everybody can duplicate and thatā€™s the final verdict, or you donā€™t. If someone canā€™t (or can) duplicate the test they have something that differs in their system. If the result over a great number of systems seems random you have a bad test and ought to go back to the drawing board. You donā€™t just sputter fast and loose factoids without sources, personal testimonials and anecdotal evidence and pretend you are entitled to your opinion. But some like their opinions and their own voice I guess ā€¦ :wink:

I still canā€™t get the filters to line up at all (High-pass filters). Itā€™s been a total nightmare with my 7.5 projects. Even switching through all the slopes in C8 makes no difference. They are always off compared to C7.5.
Iā€™m stuck with all my C7.5 projects and regret that I used so many Cubase filters. In the past I used plugins and I would not be in this situation now had I not trusted Steinberg too much with this. Itā€™s bad. The filters are sometimes several kHz out. Itā€™s not subtle.

Fabio explained there was a problem/change with the curves at 8.0.0 which was resolved at 8.0.20 - why not try upgrading first, then trying your 7.5 projects againā€¦? (just going on what your sig saysā€¦)

I also have troubles with low/high pass filters when i open my 7.5 project in 8. I already updated to version 8.0.20 and still the projects i made in 7.5 sound completely different in 8. I used Steinbergs own pre eq filters. I tried tweaking the slopes but no good. They are very much off.