Cubase 9.0.30 maintenance update

Guys the dual filter plugin bug is still there!! what a pity… i guess i have to wait 4 more months now

Not sure how long you’ve been around with Steinberg, but just as a heads up, this is the exact behavior they exhibited before they were acquired by Yamaha back in around 2005. And things were not pretty. Some people here might remember what unprofessional support and behavior they had. Credit to Yamaha for being a good influence on them, but this pattern is exactly the same, and it caused a lot of people a lot of frustration. I for one, have always wanted Steinberg to succeed, but this strategy will lead to the same kind of reaction and situation. Whatever positive momentum that Steinberg had seems to have disappeared and they have reverted to their old behavior.

You may not see it or notice it or care, but for long-term customers that were around, many of us remember. And like I mentioned, I always wanted Steinberg to succeed. And yes, it does bug me, and yes, I periodically write posts about it in the hopes that it will trigger the conscience of Steinberg. I understand your being bored or annoyed with my posts, but I’m actually on the same side as you. This specific issue may be a dead horse right now, and it may not impact you at all on the surface, but it says something about the company that they forgot the good lessons that Yamaha taught them. Or maybe even Yamaha forgot who they used to be, I’m not sure.

In any case, most of the long-term people that I know personally who use Cubase have started migrating to a different DAW for their primary DAW in part because of behavior like this from Steinberg. Not that Steinberg or many of its customers seem to care much about it, which is unfortunate, because there is so much good inside Cubase.

So yes, maybe I’m one of the last people here in this forum who thinks this is actually important and bothers to write about it, maybe in the hope that Steinberg is listening. Again, I realize that it probably makes no difference, but unless Steinberg does the right thing here, I’ll no longer pay any more upgrade fees or buy new products (and I have sent my hard-earned money to Steinberg for many years for most of their products). Obviously, that’s a drop in the bucket to them, but if you add that up over many years and add that to other people who feel the same way, it’s a real number that means something. It’s ironic when people like you are perfectly happy ragging on people like me, when I happen to be aligned with your best interests as a Steinberg customer. That’s OK too, I sincerely wish you the best with the Steinberg that you have accepted.

Obviously, very true that no one is forcing someone to stay with Cubase. But when you’ve invested many years in a company’s products and they are reverting to some old, nasty behavior, it’s worth bringing it up, right? It may seem annoying to you, but perhaps one day there will be an issue that really bothers you and you’ll be one of those whining people too, and you might look back and see a pattern. Having been around Steinberg since the very, very early days of Cubase, I can give my personal experience that Steinberg is reverting to a behavior that will not benefit ANY user of Cubase, including you. For what that’s worth. :slight_smile:

And yes, you are right that whiners can move on, or they get tired of posting about it and decide to shut up so it seems like – on the surface – their issue is resolved, but it might be worth your time to consider the motivations of why some people post about this larger issue… maybe they’re actually on the same side as you.

It doesn’t help that the way machines and operating systems are evolving throws massive cogs in the process. It doesn’t help that everything is on a cloud now, and expected to be instant and multi-user friendly…and security and all takes as much dev time as making everything work.

I wish I had a nickle for every time an upgrade from Microsoft or Apple brought many things that were working fine for years, sometimes even DECADES to a grinding halt. I wish that my best ever interfaces didn’t keep popping up as obsolete simply because the OS changed and no one bothered to leave behind and/or release documentation for new drivers (I’d pay for them, or sign agreements to write them my self and never release it to the public if they’d let me have the information to fix it!). It was all working fine one day…then a few months later, a few OS patches later, it doesn’t work anymore.

Modern machines aren’t exactly designed for real-time latency sensitive processes either. If the modern hardware is designed to run thousands of threads full throttle, but the application really needs fewer threads with a highly-controlled throttle, then problems are going to pop up. They take out clocks to make it cheaper, and replace them with more cores (essentially developing film on glass that costs next to nothing other than R&D)…which is all great for unthrottled computational power…but useless for real time A/V applications! About the time engineers FINALLY figure out how to make it work (by reinventing the wheel and charging you a hundred bucks for a gadget that finds a way to rebuild all the simple clocks and other signals they stripped out to make things cheaper)…out comes a new batch of bleeding edge hardware, with a new OS, pulled support for all things ‘legacy’, and it’s all back to bloody square one…broken drivers and incompatible hardware!

I guess that’s why pro studios run the bleeding edge stuff in isolated test beds, and the main bread and butter rigs are probably still running something like Cubase 7.5 on older hardware. When I worked in TV broadcasting things were a mass mess during the mandated transition to digital stuff for HDTV, but from there forward, it’s not uncommon for the mission critical gear to be 2 to 4 years behind the ‘latest version’. They’ll wait to make a big shift to new machines and software…and when they do, it’ll be better known exactly what hardware/software works well together, and what is more like a total waste of time and money to try to implement in the overall studio system design. They don’t just stick it on a random consumer grade motherboard (although sometimes a cheap board turns out to be best…but then gets in high demand and isn’t so cheap anymore).

At the end of the day though…the fact that for only a few thousand bucks, an INDIVIDUAL can afford to do truly amazing things that were only dreamt of (and cost millions of dollars to attempt) 20 years ago is pretty amazing. I still remember doing this stuff with NO COMPUTER at all…when we started with human babies and taught them how to play instruments, read music, and sing in tune. For reverb you could build a temporary $10,000 room and configure it for your acoustical needs (or rent a place for $50 a day if you needed something bigger), and pay studio musicians to come in and perform it all, or buy a $50,000 electronic processor machine, hooked to banks of hardware samplers (about 5k each) that was big enough to require a $10k room with a special $20k A/C unit so you could do a really crappy job of emulating a $10k room…but now in a world of complainers…you can do it with a $40 plugin in a free DAW on a $400 machine (or even a free one tossed in someone’s garbage bin).

I don’t mean to lower the bar and take the pressure off companies to keep doing things bigger and better at lower costs…but I do think it’s important to realize that 30 years ago there were just a few dozen hardware and OS platforms to try to support…they developed a slower pace, with different quality control standards. They were also many times more expensive. It’s pretty freaking amazing how much power we can get for a few hundred bucks…in an economy where a few hundred bucks doesn’t go very far in any other realm of consumption (I.E. food, water, transportation, clothing, a space to sleep, etc.).

No problems to report here. Noticed that Cubase now closes almost instantly now, compared with 9.0.20

Did anyone actually try to Import video into a project?

Nothing happens. Have tried 15 different videos and formats.

Yes, it’s quite picky. The panel at the bottom of the browse dialog will tell you whether the video is compatible or not. MP4 with H.264 video and AAC audio seems to be the best bet.

It always says “Unable to generate thumbnail cache” and the video never plays. On Mac OS 10.9.5 - all previous versions worked fine. It does feel a bit more responsive in many ways so I wish the video worked, since that was the big new feature lol.

Hi,

Does the video engine perform well on your system ? specifically the CPU usage ?

On my i7 (HQ), the CPU usage is a lot much higher than the Quick Time engine.

With 9.0.20:

• without the Video window : 8% CPU
  • with the Video windows : 30% CPU

With 9.0.30:

• without the Video window : 8% CPU
  • With the Video window: 90% CPU (and the video is stuttering)

I had to revert to 9.0.20 unfortunately… :frowning:

Did anybody experienced similar or better results ?

Dude, your on a 6 year old Mac, get a faster newer model with faster spec’s.

Is that the issue? I have a 4 year old PC that isn’t up to the tasks of new software. I retired that and it is a super fast internet PC that I still use.

I realized 4 years ago that my system was not adequate for recording at a professional level. So I built a new system two years ago. Then another new one last year.

The launch splash screen is a bit rubbish.
I didn’t know about this update. The only way I saw it was because I could see the launcher hadn’t updated in ages and thought “they must have released an update by now surely” and here it is…
I also found out the Cubase IC Pro app is now working too along with a Ski remote update and Groove Agent update.

Best update the news feed in the Cubase launcher.

Installed and updated without issues. I am very pleased to see many issues important to me were corrected. Thanks for fixing the “silver synths” and the enharmonics. The Groove Agent SE addition of the piano graphic was a very welcome addition. I’ve not checked everything, but after running the program all day today post-update, all’s well. It’s an outstanding DAW. The more I learn to use it, the more I like it. Tremendous Value!

This update generates dropouts all the time.
I´ve always had extreme dropout issues with Cubase but this update is the worst I´ve ever installed.
Went back to 9.020

No prob here (see my stuff in sign). Now, with the chords track open, I’m having no more bad video performance. Nice shot.

Good to see drum maps are back with out having to reimport them.

CBP9 only on PC’s here but test machine has no issues, great update :slight_smile:

Rock solid here, on both PC (Win 7 pro) and Mac (Sierra). Loads perfectly with large VEPro 6 templates. I can’t vouch for other video formats, but imports and plays back H264 just fine; that’s what I found always worked best with Cubase. Not a single crash yet! Great work!

You are saying that for YOU - with the update .30 (new vid engine) imports audio with video (on W7)??? Never worked here and MANY have reported the issue.

Did you make any tweaks?

… how come this update isn’t listed in the “Steinberg Hub” when you start Cubase?

I usually don’t visit this forum too often. So I consider myself lucky to have done it today and saw the update announcement. But I was a little taken aback by not seeing the announcement in Steinberg Hub.