Cubase 9.5.2 Pro - Freezes on mixdown

An update on 9.5.30

This is actually worse for me than the previous version.

I do on average 50-60 offline bounces in an average workday, the cpu overload / freeze is still very much present, occasionally it will be fine, but more often there’s a problem - however it is now also manifesting a much more extreme problem.

Three times today, offline renders failed to complete, and froze the computer to the point that I had to manually shut down, as the system was unresponsive for over 10 minutes each time. When going back to check the files, they had only been partially exported, so the freeze occurred mid bounce.

I gave it a fair test for a few days, have to revert back to real-time bounces for now and I’m considering going back to Pro-Tools.

I really hope Steinberg can sort this out!

I can second that everything was fine on 9.5.2 before I updated to High Sierra, now I’m getting freezes every 20-30 sec or so, with mixdowns taking maybe 20% longer to bounce in general.

Suffering this on 9.5.30 still.

10.13.5 still shows the same problem, on my system at least.

I opened up a ticket with US support, who seem to be taking it seriously. If I hear anything I’ll post here.

Same Issue on the MBOX 3 audio interface. I have to unplug then replug the interface.

Whew, I even had to create a post about this also. I wasn’t too sure if I was the only one going thru this issue. :smiley:

Scratch this last remark. Just had a project freeze up on me again upon offline mixdown. I can’t exactly say what kind of projects do this but the bigger they get, the more likely this happens. Must be a hard nut to crack for Steinberg. My guess is that it’s related to High Sierra as well. What a bummer.

Hi,

If you are on macOS 10.13.4, you are probably facing this issue.

I have the same issue using 9.5.30 (Elements) and an up-to-date iMac running Sierra 10.13.5.

Regards,
VVolverine

Any updates regarding this? I am facing a very similar situation, where he cpu randomly drops and spikes creating very long bounce times which keeps changing at random…

Please help! I am on mac, i7, 64 gb ram, ssd and HDD combinations for samples and project hosting.

Thanks

Hi, can Steinberg PLEASE confirm they will fix this? it is impossible to buy a new mac with anything other than HS 10.13.6 on it… I spent the morning on the phone to apple asking them to ship me one with 10.13.3 and it was like talking to children without any knowledge, even the so called “genius” bar.

I also have this issue on Cubase 9.5.30 on Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
Note that it happens even with an empty project. So plugins are not the cause.
Nevertheless I have found a workaround: when I uncheck “Update display” it works fine. The problem lies in the mix down with display.

Regards.

I never check Update Display and I had the problem continually until I rolled back to 10.12. First time I’ve ever had to do that.

W10 (1803) same problem with mixdown.

with Mixdown in realtime - no problems

Hi,

I don’t think so, because this is not on Cubase side, this is on macOS side.

something did change in mac os but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed on steinberg end…

pro tools and cubase are the only two daws currently affected afaik

so if others can code around it so can steinberg… avid have committed to fixing it from their end by year’s end.

Mojave is the same so far… so… steinberg just can’t say never upgrade after 10.13.3… I mean apple might never ever change it, so does 10.13.3 permanently become the last good mac os for cubase, forever? of course it can be fixed.

Hi,

How do you know this? As far as I know, for example Reason is affected too. Might be Pro Tools and Cubase (and other affected) are using a technology, which leads to this. Others could use different technology. It could be somewhere really deep. It might happen, the fix is not just one line of code. But how to find, where the issue is, if the whole system freezes?

Martin you are correct. However Steinberg has a strong interest in maintaining compatibility with MacOS. As a result, it’s a good bet that they are investigating a solution or workaround. If anyone has an update on progress it would be good to know.

sorry forgot about reason…

i do know S1/reaper/Logic/DP9.5 are ok.

Never said it was an easy fix… avid said it’s very problematic and again gave me a 6 month timeframe to fix it, and it’s on their highest priority list of critical fixes… so it’s obviously a VERY deep fix if it’s still 5 months away (6 months was when i first spoke to them a month back).

Reason VST performance is so terribly bad, as is general performance in reason overall and has been ever since RE was introduced, worse than any other daw on the market, that I simply forgot to even research that one… wow if it’s even worse that it already was with 10.13.4+, that’s scary.