Cubase 9.5.21 crashes when editing Generic Remote

Cubase Pro 9.5.21 crashes on me deterministically when I try to edit the settings of the Generic Remote device.
A selection of the crash dumps is here:

I have never experienced this problem in earlier versions.

Best regards

Miloslav

Have you checked if the crash happens with any remote xml file, or could it be the single one you are currently using?

If you start a new one does it crash?

Have you ruled out corrupt prefs? (Start in safe start mode, or hide the Defaults.xml from Cubase)

On my main rig the crash happens regardless of the particular remote XML file. I can replicate the crash also in the safe start mode with a new remote XML file. However, I cannot replicate the crash on my secondary rig, even with the same (problematic) remote XML file.

From these findings I assume that something system-specific is indeed in play but I have no clue what it can be, that´s why I attached a couple of crash dumps - in case a Steinberg expert could have a look at them.

Thank you

Miloslav

Yeah, probably system specific, with a combination of factors on that machine. Does it matter which midi port is configured in the generic remote?

Thanks for the dumps. Can you upload the generic remote xml file too? Someone will definitely look at them.

Now I tried another MIDI port but it didn’t seem to make any difference. Here is the respective generic remote XML file:

Best regards

Miloslav

Quick question- what are the specs and OS of the machine in question, and what devices are attached to it?

Steve, thanks for your interest! Here are the specs:

Operating system: Windows 10 version 1709
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
Processor: Intel Core i5-660 (Clarkdale), hyperthreading on (4 virtual cores)
Memory: 6 GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (triple monitor setup)
Sound Cards: Steinberg MR816csx (Cubase audio device), TC Electronic Konnekt 24D (system default audio device)

• both connected to Kouwell PCI FireWire card
    MIDI controllers attached: Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX49
    USB MIDI interface: ESI M4U XL (for connection to Roland FC-300 pedalboard)
    LoopBe30 virtual MIDI device (with 5 ports actually activated)

Miloslav

Is it possible you have a midi loop happening? If you deactivate LoopBe does the crash go away?

Unfortunately not, LoopBe doesn’t seem to have any influence, either. Actually, now I have found out that the whole Studio Setup window is unstable on that machine. Those crashes appear also when editing other remote devices, e.g. “Steinberg CC121” or “Yamaha KX”. The focus intermittently returns itself to the MIDI Port section and a confirmation dialogue pops up whether I want to apply any changes to the device actually being edited. Which doesn’t make sense since I haven’t stopped editing that device at all.

It seems like the focus is acting weirdly - something forces it to skip elsewhere without the user’s involvement.

Miloslav

Now that is strange. But if you’re saying the focus spontaneously moves, as if the user has done it, but without actual user intervention, could there be some program running that causes that?

What programs start up on that computer at boot time?

Any chance you could create a gif of it? (maybe using this utility: http://www.screentogif.com/ )