Cubase 9.5 and Mackie Control Universal MCU (MIDI Messages)

In English

Hello,
From the day I started working on Cubase 9.5, my Mackie Control Universal sends MIDI messages to All ports of my MIDI Interface MOTU MIDI Express XT USB when :

• I create a new project

• apply modifications after setting-up MIDI OUT on the MCU Set-Up Window on Cubase

8 MIDI Ports receive the same message whereas the MCU is only plugged on MIDI IN 7 and MIDI OUT 7 of my MIDI interface (Sequencer mode).

Weird messages are sent by Cubase even if the Mackie is switched off.
The problem is in Cubase.

First, I thought of an init message but it is not. These are weird and random messages. I have to restart my synths.

Please find screenshots of the weird MIDI messages sent by Cubase/MCU to my MIDI Interface.
Thank for your help ! This is the first time I have a problem with MCU after 15 years of experience.

This post deals with the following gears :

• Mackie Control Universal (MCU Mode/Cubase)
  • MOTU MIDI Express XT USB
  • Windows 10
  • Steinberg Cubase 9.5

The message part I, II, III :

En français

Bonjour,

depuis mon passage à Cubase 9.5, ma Mackie Control Universal envoie systématiquement une série de messages MIDI à tous les ports de mon interface MIDI Express XT USB lorsque :
je crée un nouveau projet
je clique sur Apply dans la fenêtre de déclaration des entrées /sorties de la MCU et en particulier après avoir configuré le port MIDI Out

Les 8 ports reçoivent tous le même message alors que la MCU n’est branchée que sur les ports MIDI IN et MIDI OUT 7 de mon interface. A savoir que mon interface MIDI est bien en mode Séquenceur, et pas en Live mode ou Midi Merge…

J’ai d’abord pensé à un message d’initialisation mais à y regarder de plus prêt et voyant le comportement de mes synthés branchés à mon interface MIDI, j’ai vite compris que ce n’était pas une initialisation.
Cela dérègle mes synthés. Obligé de les éteindre et les rallumer pour que tout revienne normalement.

Ce soir, j’éditerai mon post avec les messages MIDI envoyés.
Je vais aussi faire une petite vidéo si j’ai le temps.

Autant vous dire que du coup, j’évite de mettre sous tension mes synthés avant que mon projet Cubase ne soit lancé. Mais ce n’est pas un utilisation normale.

Merci pour votre aide si cela vous ai déjà arrivé. Moi c’est la première fois en 15 ans d’utilisation de la MCU.

Ce post concerne les machines suivantes :

• Mackie Control Universal (MCU Mode/Cubase)
  • MOTU MIDI Express XT USB
  • Windows 10
  • Steinberg Cubase 9.5

Merci

This appears to be from a mobile device, not a PC, and the logs don’t display messages going to all 8 ports of the midi interface, and it’s missing the input and output info.

Can you post a log with complete data, such as from MIDI-OX?

Also can you use an empty Cubase Project to eliminate any variables that would confuse the issue?

I captured MIDI messages into SysexLibrarian on my iPad plugged into the MIDI OUT 8 port.
It happens with empty projects.
It happens even if the Mackie Control is off.
Cubase sends MIDI messages to my MIDI interface.

There are only “In” messages received from Cubase via my Midi Interface

You say

my Mackie Control Universal sends MIDI messages to All ports of my MIDI Interface MOTU MIDI Express XT USB when…

, and then you also say

Cubase sends MIDI messages to my MIDI interface.

It’s not clear from that whether the Mackie Device is sending, or Cubase is sending. But since you say it happens when the Mackie device is turned off, one must deduce that you mean Cubase is sending the data. But still, the utility you’re using doesn’t display all the data in the midi stream, except to show some data is is being sent, and doesn’t say where it comes from.

The data looks like init commands for an MCU to me– I see mackie sysex, and note-ons on channel 1, there’s pitchbend being zeroed out on channel 16 for the faders, etc., etc.

But this might not be relevant at all. In order to show what Cubase is sending you would have to monitor the Cubase output.

Have you done the basic troubleshooting step of running Cubase in safe-start mode by holding ctrl-alt-shift while Cubase launches?

Finally, how have you eliminated the MOTU midi device as the culprit? Have you done any troubleshooting on that device? Have you inadvertently activated the Direct Connect mode?