Cubase 9.5: how good is vari-audio?

[

Then decide on a tempo, record a really short basic drum track with the right feel(drummer plays along with songwriter on piano/guitar what have you).

To make this crystal clear: use this drum track as metronome for further recording, add breaks, embellishemnts, better version later, after the final vocal recording for example for example, so you know where there’s room for crashes etc.

Variaudio is excellent for making adjustments to vocal tracks, etc. I used to use Melodyne a long time ago, but Variaudio is really good now - and so much more convenient the way it’s built right into Cubase. I’m happy with it.

The best thing: A good singer
The next best thing : Meodyne (Will get even better with CB with ARA. Logic X, Studio One 4 and Reaper already have that).

Comaping VA and Melo is just like comparing two different cars, one small cheap town car and one expencive with off road possibilities. They will both get you from A to B, as long as it is a simple route, but if you encounter any hurdles on the way only one will do.

VariAudio nulls the original audio with audio that’s been processed then had all the processes reversed. I’ve tested that.

Does the same hold true for Melodyne? I’ve red/heard that Melodyne unavoidably EQs the high end simply by running audio through it . Some folks say they can hear that.

Has anyone here personally tested Melodyne as I described how I tested VariAudio, above? In other words, I wonder if, despite all the wonderful bells and whistles that Melodyne technology brings, does VariAudio just sound better?

Another point - if you don’t want to go touring the Alps on the autobahn, but just want to pop down the street to pick up a loaf of bread, it’s probably better to take the Prius than the Maserati.

Top of my wishlist for Cubase 10 (or “X”?) is ARA. I’ve wanted this for so long I’ve given up asking for it.
Other than that, VA is OK for minor corrections and uncomplicated manipulations, as folks have said. It’s the integration that’s killer about VA.

Hmm… Let me point out at first that I am not at all against integrating ARA in Cubase.

Now - With that out of the way, I can say that I use Vari-Audio and I am happy with the results. Yes you can compare it to Melodyne, but keep in mind that Vari-Audio is completely free for us Cubase users, while Melodyne will set you back €249 at least (Melodyne Assistant), and even €699 for the full Studio version. That’s about the price of an full Cubase Pro! Yes - I know there is a €99 essential version, but that version is not that incredibly much better than Vari-Audio to be able to justify the price tag to me.

So - for me Vari-Audio is a very valuable part of Cubase. For me the results with it absolutely match my needs. It does what it has to do, without too much hassle. For those who want more than that there is Melodyne, but only if you accept the substantial price tag that is attached to it.