Cubase 9.5 & macOS High Sierra

Hi, your sig says you use sierra though? Thank you in any case

So you use High Sierra 10.13.4 or higher and all works well…

I presume you still have the high cpu spike at offline bounce issue though?

You would need to define offline bounce for me. If you mean mix down existing tracks to a different track, I haven’t done this on my MBP. If you mean audio export, I’ve done that quite a lot - non-realtime - and no spikes/issues.

Steve

Yes, basically vsti freezing, and audio export…

are you on 10.13.6?

it must affect specific macs then.

Yes, I was talking about the most recent version of 10.13. Didn’t try any track freezing on the MacBook but as I said no problem with non-realtime audio export. I’ve never trie realtime export - I’ve always understood it was more of a cpu stress for machines (maybe incorrectly).

I’ve upgraded to 10.14 Mojave beta on the basis I can use my desktop PC and reinstall High Sierra if there was a problem. Very early impressions are that Cubase has no immediately obvious problems with Mojave.

Steve.

Interesting plectrumboy, thank you…

I am going to go out on a limb and say, perhaps, because you use a UR824 with such tight integration into Cubase, is why it’s ok for you…

I discovered that along with graphical changes, Apple changed something in core audio with 10.13.4 and above, which is what is causing the issues for Pro tools users and Cubase users.

However, it basically only happens at buffers of 128 or under is what i also found out. So if you are not using low buffers, that may be a contributing factor also.

Considering I have seen so many reports at avid and these very forums of issues post High sierra 10.13.3, it would be very interesting to get to the bottom of why yours doesn’t do it.

it seems that a kind soul is actually uploading the full 10.13.2 for me, so I should be ok in any case… I can’t believe someone came through for me on that after months of searching. Much more confident about buying a new mac now!

Mojave drops ALL 32 bit support, i think that included 64 bit bridging apps, so i can never move to it.
Furthermore, every single standalone hardware synth editor I have is 32 bit…

High Sierra may be the very last version of mac OS i can ever use, or, at least to always keep a compatible computer around, always, so i can use lgacy stuff. There’s also a wonderful DAW calc app i love to use, scalc, that is 32 bit only. I’d hate losing that!

PS if you are using the UR824 at low buffers, I am going to get one and make Cubase my primary DAW, and sell all my UAD stuff. I am SO tired of console!

Just had a slight frisson of panic about you rushing out to buy stuff on the basis of my forum comments. So, although now running the Mojave beta, I hooked up the MacBook to my UR824s. Played a small live recorded project at 32 sample buffer size, with and without asioguard switched in. The Mac played it without problem. However, looking at your comments about your UAD experience, I have an Apollo Twin and I can use that at 32 sample buffer size as well. My impression, not yet properly measured, is that while I may not get spikes on my 2016 15" macbook pro, the general cpu load is a bit like on my six core 4 Ghz PC - that is to say, it doesn’t take many tracks or effects or vst instruments to start using up the power. I’m not making any comments about efficiency as compared to other DAWs (because I don’t know) but I am saying the Mac seems stable and reliable with Cubase.

Steve.

Hi… no it’s ok… thanks for your concern… But I will use the UR824 at a permanent 128 buffer, which I am sure will be fine. For monitoring I will use the onboard zero latency fx…So…no issues there either…
I am just so tired of using two separate programs for monitoring… To be able to do it all through the DAW will be amazing.

I am seriously considering getting a cheap(er) windows PC and UR824 to try it out… Without using UAD i shouldn’t have issues with the FLS slot issue.
I just custom built (in shopping cart I mean) an amazing machine, Ryzen 2700X, TWO 24" 2560x1600 monitors, 64GB ram, 2 terabyte samsung 960 NVME ssd, 2x Samsung 960 1TB sata SSD, Radeon RX580 8GB, Corsair 850 watt white PSU, Fractal R5 white case, noctua cooler with black color upgrades, 5 Noctua black case fans on low speed to provide a constant airflow, a fan controller int he 5.25 slot, Blue ray reader/writer in the other 5.25 slot.and a nice logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo… All this, for the same price as If i were to get a fully loaded 21.5" imac with i7 7700, 32GB ram and 1TB ssd (just under 5K here) And orders of magnitude cheaper than the base imac pro without any options at all…(7299 here for 8 core that performs similar to 2700X, 32GB ram, 1TB ssd, completely non user serviceable machine).

So i still have a lot of thinking to do… and it just seems to make sense that the UR824 is the hub of it all… I have 2 adat expanders so will get all 24 inputs on one interface, perfect cubase integration and perfectly usable monitoring FX…

it all just seems to make so much sense as I said… and all I will sacrifice is some VSTi realtime playback latency when i play them live vs the apollo thunderbolt…But i believe at 128 buffer the UR is around 7ms output which is still perfectly usable to play VSTI, and maybe on a machine like that I will even be able to leave it at 64 permanently anyway… I also won’t need to alway worry about thunderbolt hubs and finding computers with thunderbolt ports all the time…

This FLS thing is the only thing that has stopped me going back to windows the last year… That’s it… I am SO tried of apple’s shenanigans. But now I think it’s time to be bold and give it a go (or chicken out and get an imac pro LOL). We will see…
Again, the UR824 was firmly in my sights before your post, i just appreciated that you confirmed it worked well.