Cubase 9 and Reason 9.5 problems.

I have contacted Steinberg with the following issue:

Firstly, i’m a long user of Cubase, have been a very happy customer for lots of years! I have been using Cubase 5 for about 8 years and recently decided to upgrade my system.

Having been a PC user for many years, i decided to make the leap to a Mac running Cubase Pro 9 and Reason 9.5. using Cubase as the host. I have done this for many years with absolutely no problems at all until i came to do the same setup with the new software and new Macbook Pro.

I have been getting a very frustrating issue when playing MIDI instruments from either Reason or Cubase whilst BOTH programmes are open at the same time. There is a frequent popping and clicking sound that is a result of the ‘real-time peak’ indicator constantly going into the red. This makes playing any MIDI synth or instrument very difficult. It’s almost got to the point where its unusable as a DAW for recording MIDI. At first i thought it was down to my buffer settings, but i have tried every single buffer setting and it just makes it a lot worse or very slightly better but never fixes the issue.

I have tried 2 different interfaces (Audient ID22 and UR22Mkii) with exactly the same results so i don’t think its a problem with my interface. However, when i switch to the mac internal sound card, the 'real-time peak never goes into the red and no clicking is heard! Very strange.

The issue is also not heard when either Cubase or Reason are used independently, only when they are used in Re-Wire Mode. This made me think it could be a CPU usage problem but i find that hard to believe as I’ve just spent £2000 on a brand new Macbook Pro, 3.1Ghz, 16GB, 512GB - Surely that could handle both programmes together. Also when the clicking occurs i’m not running any pluggins at all, only the bare minimum. CPU is only running at about 12% in the Mac activity monitor.

My guess is that there is some kind of compatibility issue with Cubase 9 and Reason 9.5. I’ve been using Cubase 5 and Reason 4 for years and have never had any problems at all.

I’m hoping you can shed some light on this as it’s been driving me up the wall!

If anyone could help me out on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

did you try manage something like buffer size in Windows? Latency?