Cubase 9 Elements and RME Babyface "ports inactive"?

Hello, I am new here … I hope this hasn’t already been covered. I did a search and did not find what I’m looking for, so I hope this hasn’t been covered before, and that someone can help.

I just upgraded my WinXP, Presonus Firebox, Cubase LE system to Win 10 64, RME Babyface, Cubase Elements 9. Sweet, right?!?

Well, no, frustrating, actually.

I am having an issue with Cubase recognizing the instrument inputs of my RME Babyface. When I go into Cubase’s Menu: Devices> Device Setup > ASIO Fireface USB, It shows my inputs 3/4 as “inactive”. I can’t seem to change this. The signal is definitely getting from the hardware into RME’s TotalMix monitoring software; I can see the meters going and hear headphone output. But it doesn’t seem to be getting into Cubase. I cannot just use inputs 1/2 on the Babyface because those are mic inputs (XLR), and I am using a line 1/4" cable/instrument; my preference is to use the 1/4" jacks. I updated my RME drivers to the most current available. Is there something I can try in Cubase? Has anyone seen this issue before? I am uploading screenshots of what I’m seeing in “device” menu, how my TotalMix is set up. Thank you.

You need to set up VST connections.

Hi Grim, thank you! Yes, I realized that last night, finally. I didn’t realize all my possible connections didn’t default to “active” … makes sense to save CPU, if that’s why the app is designed this way. Thanks again for your quick response!

Shouldn’t make any difference to cpu use I don’t think…but with multi inputs you might want to set up stereo buses or mono only, or even a surround bus or any combination of the above and Cubase can’t know what it is that you want and assign accordingly so just assigns a single stereo bus to get people going.