"Cubase 9 has stopped working" message after Win10 update

Yesterday my PC performed a windows update. After rebooting, Cubase would no longer function.

The main problem is that I cannot open any projects. As soon as I select one from the Hub (or close the hub and manually go to file->open project) and the project window begins to appear as a white box - a message pops up saying “Cubase 9 has stopped working”.

I have tried opening an empty project, and this gets me a clean project window, but as soon as i try and add a track the crash happens.

The windows error log is shown below:
Faulting application name: Cubase9.exe, version: 9.0.0.92, time stamp: 0x581a935a
Faulting module name: imagegenerator.dll, version: 1.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x581a8f00
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000002711d7
Faulting process id: 0x1e60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d326d226d191c6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Cubase9.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\imagegenerator.dll
Report Id: c509b6bc-3ce2-4d31-a7b3-5801bd92f005
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I’ve:

• reinstalled the elicenser software
  • removed the settings/preferences folder and let Cubase rebuild
  • updated Cubase 9 to latest version
  • uninstalled Cubase 9 and reinstalled (initially without the latest update)

Still nothing.
I did have issues with my audio interface, which are now fixed but I have disconnected it for now until Cubase 9 works fully.
I also got the odd DCOM messages but reinstalling the elicenser seemed to fix those.

I’m at a loss what to do now. I’ve logged a ticket with Steinberg, but have a horrible suspicion it may end up with a reinstall.
Anyone else having problems after the latest Windows10 update?

Seems your system needs reinstalling, would recommend to reset windows to a clean install and start from there

Yeah - that’s going to be my last resort.
I rebuilt the laptop last year, so i have all the files and plugins, it’s just down to time!

There’s a couple of things i may try first, but i’m afraid you may be right.
Be good to hear if anyone else has managed to find a quick fix (e.g. a particular driver to check)

Still nothing from the Steinberg “helpdesk” bar the auto-acknowledgement of my ticket.
I can’t wait weeks for them, I’ve got tunes to record!

So, i just did a complete Windows reinstall. Took a few attempts (remember to do a FULL windows shutdown, as by default it just does a hybrid hibernation) but once it booted up and I let it do all its updates and configs, i put eLicenser and Cubase back on and everything is okay so far.
Now for the tedious reinstallation of all my plugins!

usually these issues have to do with permissions. running as administrator can be a solution. however i learned the hard way that turning off windows update in services.msc usually keeps my windows 10 installation up and running for quite a long while. switching it on means trouble LoL. F