Cubase 9: Please support Microsoft HoloLens

I want the Cubase mixer, for example, as an “augmented reality” item, 2 meters high and 4 meters wide, if necessary.

Plz gief.

That would be great !

HoloLens is quite impressive, and so useful, with endless possibilities.

That and StaffPad interface, and Cubase would be complete. :smiley:

I agree it could be wicked! But you really need some serious UX prototyping to do it right. The problem with tablets and phones is that they aren’t really built for productivity. Microsoft and others keep trying to force big platforms onto small devices. But what’s the point of having MS Word on a phone when a keyboard can type 100 words per minute and the phone will never keep up? Productive people use productive tools.

The Hololens is great, but will it be as responsive as a physical controller/fader/knob, etc?
Using the Hololens to write on staff paper and have Cubase recognize the notes automatically into a midi event.
Using the Hololens exclusively to expand screen real estate.

The 1st point, I think wouldn’t be worth exploring. The 2nd two have more potential IMO. That said, DAW makers have been slow to redesign for touch screens for the same reasons other companies have. If they explore the Hololens (which is doubtful) then I’d want more than a toy. I want something useful, thoughtful, and that enhances music creation and workflow.

Hololens is augmented reality. That means you can use all your keyboards and hardware controllers with it. Sliders are pretty cheap these days and come on a lot of keyboards. I envision Hololens as a 3D monitor also 2D as a virtual monitor that can be mounted on your wall. Keep in mind that future versions will be more responsive. I don’t think it will ever replace tactile hardware. They could make a plastic tactile mixer to project Hololens on to.

The big complaint is that it does not cover as wide a viewing area as users would like for gaming immersion. I don’t think this would be an issue for work related uses and I imagine it will improve in future versions. If the cost is low, $300 or under, it will be a huge hit.

Let’s hope Steinberg is planning for this now. I’m skeptical that they are though.

… and Linux.