Cubase 9 will not start/open

Hi folks,

I have not been able to open Cubase 9 for two days now, frustratingly.

It has worked fine until (coincidentally perhaps?) I installed Kontakt Player (so that I could run a particular non-Steinberg VST). Now it hangs, for over an hour (if I leave it)! Same results if I start Cubase cold, or try to open a project.

(Please see screengrabs).

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

Cubase
Cubase_2

first off, update to the latest Cubase 9 and make sure you have the Elicenser version that supports your OS, which you don’t mention.

Windows 10 and 11 use the latest Elicenser

Then if the problem continues, Start Cubase in Safe Mode and disable prefs. Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks Steve,

I assumed I was using the updated version of Cubase 9 because I only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago (due to me formatting my PC). I looked in the Download Manager and it only dates back to v.9.5. I’ll have a look on the Steinberg website to see if there are any new updates available.

I did run the eLicenser 'maintenance (and all of it’s bits & bobs) a couple of hours ago. It said everything was up to date.

Ta,

Paul

I posted the link to the Cubase 9 download in my reply to you above.

1 Like

Thanks Steve,

Sorry, I thought it was part of your signature (with you being a Moderator).

I did d/l the update as per screenshot below, and then ran the eLicenser duties again - but same results, unfortunately.

There is an update called “Vollinstaller”. Should I d/l this also?

Ta,

Paul

Did you then

1 Like

Hi Steve,

On Windows, I started in Safe-Mode (Shift+Ctl+Alt) and Cubase opened! But it still won’t open the normal way (as per screenshot)?

Ta,

Paul

Cubase_6

I had much the same problem about a year ago. After installing Kontakt with a lot of instruments Cubase would not open one of my main vsts, Helix Native. Then after a couple of days Cubase refused to open at all. I completely removed Kontakt and that appears to have fixed the problem. I now use Kontakt with only a few instruments and all seems fine.

1 Like

Hi there 13engines,

I appreciate your help here.

Your issue does sound similar. It happened straight after installing Kontakt. I only own one VST (Olympus Elements Choir - Soundiron) which requires Kontakt. Before installing these Cubase worked great for two weeks, after installing it.

My Cubase and eLicenser were up to date.

Anyway, I spoke the an agent at Steinberg today and we ran some steps together. In the start-box I had to type “%appdata%” and locate the Steinberg folder (there was only one). Then I had to modify its name (I added ‘XXX’ to the start).

Cubase opened fine then! However, some of my (Steinberg VSTs do not open in a project). I think this is related to a ‘blacklist’? The agent has given me some further steps to run over the weekend . . .

Ta,

Paul

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/207348390-Plug-in-Sentinel-for-Cubase-9?