Cubase 9 will not upgrade from Cubase 5

Someone please help

I bought Cubase 9 and was informed on a support group that I did not need to have earlier Cubase 5 installed on my iMac 27", 2013 edition, Sierra 10.12.

My Cubase 5 lives on a different computer. But I thought that my earlier purchase of Cubase 5 would be registered on my e license. Seems like it is. (I have the dongle)

But I am now after my purchase asked to upgrade my elisence. I have the activation code that was sent my in a mail with my purchase.

However when I try to upgrade using the new activation code, I get this message:

Currently, there is no license available which can be upgraded by your upgrade license. Please connect an USB-eLicenser, which holds an appropriate upgradable license, to your computer.

How come? What can I do? I bought Cubase pro 9 as a download as an upgrade from Cubase 5. Why is this not working?

Thank you

Did you pick the “Update from Cubase 4 / 5 / 6 / 6.5” option while buying?

Are you sure that you actually have Cubase 5 and not Cubase Studio 5, which was a lower tier version?

I would recommend contacting support through your MySteinberg.

Oh wow, never occurred to me that Studio 5 is lower tier. Thanks for this. Do you know ( I guess not by now) if it is possible to upgrade from Studio 5 ?

I will contact them!