Cubase and Dolby Atmos [Achieved]

Since music delivery companies seem to be pushing Dolby Atmos for music will we see Atmos capabilities in Steinberg’s music production software (Cubase) or will it still be reserved for Nuendo ?

Atmos probably had been a Cinema / Home Cinema emphasised production technology which made sense to now to keep it just in Nuendo - but now that theres an industry push to make it the new norm/option for music delivery I would like to see it as part of Cubase.

How are we feeling about that here?

6 Likes

Dolby technologies are not free of charge
Cubase can handle surround sound up to 5.1

it seems that Cubase is the wrong platform for Dolby Atmos support

I wouldnt have considered Dolby Atmos a requirement of Cubase until the major music digital distributors appear to be making a push for music delivery.

1 Like

So Avid just released a platform for Digital Distribution of Atmos music to the likes of Amazon, Apple Music etc… It appears that Atmos is gathering pace in terms of a new format for Music consumption.

Again… Cubase being a Music oriented DAW and also appealing to EDM people (for which Atmos has to be of interest ) and noted Film and TV composers - I’m not sure Steinberg can risk not including Atmos in Cubase. Any comment from Steinberg on this?

2 Likes

This is exactly why I came to the forums today. Do I cross grade to Nuendo or wait for Cubase? That’s a risk because I’m working on new material now and spatial / Dolby Atmos is of great interest. My music already includes a lot panning so the logic next step is Dolby Atmos.

2 Likes

Bingo

Yes! Have both running now and drilling down on Atmos…

While I do agree w/wanting this, Nuendo is purposely marketed as a professional cinema rich DAW while Cubase is a Music production DAW w/limited video capabilities.
Any Professional who actually needs it will feel it’s worth the upgrade if they are delivering “industry” content.

You may be right. I’ve since taken the upgrade and am on Nuendo.

1 Like

Awesome…fill us in on any cool things that made it worth it, I may have to do so…lol

This week Apple launched Logic 10.7 which has Dolby Atmos integrated into it and many of its plugins Atmos compatible. It’s likely a natural strategy by Apple seeing as they are pushing Spatial music but now that I have already moved to Nuendo I’m wondering if Cubase 11.5 is about to follow suit!

1 Like

Cubase 11.5 or 12 MUST be compatible with Dolby Atmos for Music, as it’s intended for that, Music. Other scene for us is losing the train, Amazon Music is now offering Atmos also.

1 Like

…but Atmos for music is terrible. All we need is good recordings,good mixing,good performance and 2 good speakers.

But if your client demand it, you have to offer it, streaming music services are making the move so, my taste of what sound best it’s irrelevant, it’s all about the trend.

1 Like

Dolby Atmos Music is astonishing. I don’t know how this trend will evolve in the future, but I think that, right now, its support in Cubase would be only natural.

1 Like

I tried some extremely random Gojira mastered in Dolby Atmos and the vocal just disappeared.
It’s like someone has taken a giant ice cream scoop of frequency and removed it.

Then, as you said, it’s also a matter of good recording, good mixing and mastering. :wink:

I’m not sure if EDM people will run so quickly for Dolby Atmos. It would require making two separate mixes: for Dolby and standard stereo for the club. Major artists can give this job to somebody else, but for smaller DIY artists, it’s just double work (considering how many of them struggle to make just a basic stereo mix).

Let’s be honest… more like Cubase 13 or even 14

Hell, that’s exactly WHY I want it. I do a lot of panning and ping ponging as my trademark so having several extra dimensions is going to add a whole other layer, literally!

1 Like