Cubase and Dorico

Hi,

as I find the score-editing in Cubase quite poor, I would wish an integrtation of Dorico in Cubase 9.5 at no charge.

Regards.

Norbert

Dorico as it is costs only a few dollars less than Cubase Pro. They are not going to include it for free. They are different products aimed at different (although sometimes overlapping) markets.

There should be a discount for Cubase owners to buy Dorico (at least for a temporary period). I agree that the Cubase scoring feature is horrid but the moderator doesn’t like you to speak the truth. He will call you a troll.

That would have been smart from a marketing standpoint. I bet the revenue generated by additional sales would be greater revenue lost due to lower pricing for those Cubase users who bought it at the current price. And for a new product in an already established product category increasing the user base at the start has got to be important.

“Poor” ? You can’t be serious ! Please try to learn how to use it.
(same for you Minimalist)

I wish a complete integration of Dorico into Cubase too. In the meantime The Score Editor being quite professional and even quite impressive for a scoring program inside a DAW, I can wait.

If you are an engraver, and you don’t need the extra playback capabilities of the Score Editor, then it would be more straightforward for you to work with a dedicated scoring software.

Maybe you should simply consider investing in Dorico.

Also there might be numerous future upgrade sales for Dorico.

I’d pay for a Cubase Pro + if it included Dorico integrated and had an option to switch between Cubase Classic Score and Cubase Dorico Score. And of coarse also was Standalone.

Another alternative for this would be a “Dorico LIte” in Cubase. IMO there are huge benefits for composers to have their score fully integrated with their sequencer, too many to list. I would love to see C10 with a piano clef “edit in place” option for the project window, all in Dorico - so you could think notes.

I am waiting until Dorico truly integrates before I buy. Meanwhile it is true that Cubase score is powerful they should keep it as legacy. Does Dorico have display quantize yet?

Z

At least the ability for Cubase and Dorcio to interact as Studio One and Notion or as Cubase and Wavelab.

A real integration should happen in a second time.

I’m surprised the first iteration didn’t include ReWire. Steinberg invented ReWire. The exclusion of ReWire is one of the reasons I said Daniel Spreadbury doesn’t care about Cubase customers.

I agree that ReWire should be a must-have feature.

But (for me), it will be more usefull to have interaction as previously mentioned.

“The exclusion of ReWire is one of the reasons I said Daniel Spreadbury doesn’t care about Cubase customers”
I do not agree with this statement. Dorico has a lot of features but also a lot missing ones : tabs, chords and many other (including ReWire). It is more a timing issue than anybody doesn’t care about any customers.

However, I agree that Dorico is not an application mainly designed for Cubase users, but an alternative for Finale or Sibelius (and other) - and as Cubase user, I hope this will change within this new year.

Steinberg possesses killer applications but still need to create an homogeneous worflow, something deeper than 3 standalone tools (Dorico, Cubase, Wavelab) and I don’t think ReWire - witch can be helpfull - will be sufficient.

Care to elaborate? Why not helpful enough? ReWire doesn’t just sync the programs unless poorly implemented.

Because Rewire doesn’t provide for sharing selections. (If I may jump in).

First … it’s true I probably not use ReWire correctly.

But it would be usefull to open and work directly on data rather than on flow : at least the ability do send and receive data to and from an application (like it is actually possible in Cubase & Wavelab) ; at best the ability to open Dorico in replacement of Cubase Score Editor (as an option if you own the 2 applications) or to open Wavelab within Cubase as a complement of the (very usefull) cubase audio editor without an export/import and with the benefit of a single application (and the ability, for example, to use the history in all steps - not only mix console - and to save the history).

SteveInChicago : Is this what you said by “sharing selections” ?
Minimalist : do not hesitate to correct me if ReWire should be my “go-to” option … as soosn as Dorico will include ReWire :smiley:

As in, you select a note in the Score Editor, and it is simultaneously selected in the Key Editor.