Cubase Artist 6 - ASIO Usage Issues

I’m at my wit’s end with this! (Hi by the way - first post)

I’m having a problem with playback in Cubase, my ASIO usage meter is topping out all the time resulting in choppy playback. This is likely due to the fact that it is running around 5 VST instrument channels using EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Gold, which is quite heavy on the samples/processing.

I am running Cubase Artist 6 64-Bit on Windows 7 64-Bit, Intel i7-3740QM 2.7GHz processor, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD drive for Windows, Cubase and VST installations (and Cubase project folders) and a secondary 120GB SSD for all VST libraries with a Steinberg UR-22 USB interface. I’ve searched around the web and tried:

• Increasing/Decreasing sample buffer size - minimal difference, still have a problem
  • Changing ASIO driver (from Yamaha Steinberg USB Audio to ASIO4All) - the figures look better but I still have the same problem
  • Freezing tracks - this did some good but it screwed the audio of the tracks up for some reason - EQ and volume levels were way off

Anybody got any suggestions? Is it down to either the model of audio interface or the fact it’s USB 2.0? I used to have a Firewire interface but the port broke on my laptop and it was a choice of going USB or replacing the motherboard :confused: