cubase buss outputs to run a sub woofer

hello people. I would like to add a seperate mono subwoofer to my existing stereo speaker monitoring.

I would like to run a seperate mono send, routed from the stereo mix buss, to be sent out to the amplifier running the sub speaker.

it would need to be the last thing in the chain, post all mix buss inserts and compressors and EQs.

it would also only need to be comprised of low frequencies, maybe 70 hz and below.

any ideas on easy ways to set this up.

thanks Buddha

It might be possible depending on what outputs are available on the audio card (interface) that you are using. So, I guess you would need to give a few more specifics if you want someone to try to assist. Audio interface, OS, CB version, etc.

Regards :sunglasses:

thanks.

I have a dual system of 2 x Motu 2408s running from Motu 424 pic-e card. (firewire). these feed into 2 Alesis HD24 hard disk recorders,

the Alesis HD24s give me my analogue inputs/outputs. so in total the Mac Pro has 48 inputs available and 48 outputs that can be used.

I have no problems to run one of these outputs to the subwoofer input via analogue cables.

I’m wondering about the cubase set up to achieve a mono send from the mix buss output?

thanks for any help with this.

spaceman

Same question was up not so long ago, look here

I have my control room setup in 5.1, with a 5.1 Main Monitor (with Voxengo BMS inserted for Bass Management) and 3 additional monitor sets that are just Stereo with the downmix applied (no sub or BMS). If I select the (unconnected) Stereo Main Out as “Main Mix” instead of the (also unconnected) 5.1 Main out for a Project then I get a LR with Sub Setup.

If your setup is just Stereo with a Sub you can setup you CR Monitor 1 as LRS (which is LR Surround - but I’m guessing it would work for LFE), and then use a Plugin - I love Voxengo BMS - to remove frequencies below whatever from your mains and route them to your Sub (S) output. The BMS is inserted in your CR main monitor setup. If you have additional (perhaps smaller) Monitors you would not want the Sub for them and they should be Stereo with no Bass Management inserted.

Since virtually all end users with Subs are using Bass Management, you will of course be creating a Stereo Mix only. The CR Sub channel is for your monitoring only.

For my 5.1 Setup I CAN Route directly to the Sub for effects and such (this would be part of the final 6 channel mix) while it also extends the low frequencies for my Near Fields.

I LOVE the Steinberg Control Room, and this is one reason.

Hugh

thanks Hugh. just the stuff I’m looking for. I will have a look tonight. whats the Voxengo BMS worth?

60 US$

Well worth it, IMHO.
Very effective, flexible Bass Management.
Also, if you’re ever mixing for a Sub - as in 5.1 - it gives you Bass Management plus the ability to send directly to the Sub/LFE in Cubase.
Can’t do that with a Sub integral Crossover.

Hugh

thanks Hugh. I looked at the Control room setup in cubase. I don’t understand it at all. are there any tutorials on that section of cubase? the manual tells what everything is but no instructions on how to set it up. spaceman

Same question here…also want to route/double everything to an additional output, but Control Room Mixer only lets me switch, not add.
ive tried with Quad setup, Surround, LRC etc but nothing works.
My subwoofer doesnt have a crossover, only a low pass filter and is way too loud. It would be great if i could control this from within the box.

Only thing that worked was to send the signal to a Cue, but then i dont have any control over the total mix from the Control Room.

I think thats what Hugh was getting at with the Voxengo BMS inserted in the chain somehow.

I still need to get the basic control room set up working before I try the Voxengo plugin inserted.

thanks for the help guys. spaceman

WK… I see you replied in the older thread but I will answer your question here…

The way I do it (with stereo subs) is to set up a monitor output in Control Room that uses a Quadro configuration. I then use the free Melda MChannelMatrix plugin which can be setup to duplicate the original stereo signal onto the remaining two channels of the Quadro output. Channels 1 and 2 go to my near field monitors and channels 3 and 4 go to my subs. I use DMG Equilibrium to filter only channels 3 and 4 of the Quadro, leaving the original stereo channels 1 and 2 completely untouched (although you could high pass these if you choose). You can also adjust phase and volume for the subs within the Equilibrium plugin. If you want to, you can also use the Steinberg Mixerdelay plugin to delay the different channels to compensate for sub placement/distance if required.

If you only have a mono sub, you could use a Quadro buss and just leave one output unconnected. You would want to route both the L and R signals to your sub output (using the MChannelMatrix plugin). It’s not really important exactly what surround configuration you use, as long as it gives you enough outputs to do what you need to do.

These plugins must be placed in the Monitor section of Control Room so that they are only active when this particular set of monitors are in use (each monitor output has it’s own unique plugin chain with Control Room). You can find this section by selecting the ‘Setup’ tab at the bottom of Control Room, and then scrolling up until you see the Monitor plugins section.

thank you J-S-Q. I will be trying this all out over the next few days. spaceman

thanks J-S-Q for getting back to me,

ive tried “Quadro” in the STUDIO tab of the connection VST window manager. (or should this be OUTPUTS tab???)

I then select outputs 1&2 + 3&$ as outputs (same setup as you)

But where do i have to put the Melda plugin exactly?

Inside the Monitor Control Room mixer thingie? (SEE PICTURE)

thanks man

wk

In the picture that you have attached… Where it says ‘Monitors’ -put it in one of the plugin slots underneath that. Do NOT put it in the slots at the bottom of Control Room (where you have Fabfilter Pro Q). When you add the plugin to the ‘Monitors’ section, make sure you have the Monitor 2 active. The reason for this is that each set of monitors has it’s own unique plugin setup and you do not want to have your subwoofer routing plugins inserted for Monitor 1 which I assume is just a standard stereo set of monitors.

If you are going to use DMG Equilibrium (or a similar multichannel EQ plugin) you must put the Melda plugin before the EQ.

Hugh could you screen shot some of your setup pages please.

im getting a stereo out monitor working good ( full sound)
and a second sub monitor (bass only) playing ok, if I select the second monitor, it but can’t get both playing together.

guess im close.

thanks spaceman

hello people. I got my subwoofer system working. to do this I enabled the control room and created a speaker monitor path with 5.1 outputs. I assigned the main mix monitors to a stereo output and assigned the sub woofer to another output (mono)

then I downloaded the Voxengo bass management plugin and inserted it as an insert on the monitor section of control room.

after assigning the Voxengo low frequency output to the sub woofer output it all works.

a stereo output running my Yamaha HS8s speakers, and a second output running a JBl 15 inch sub.

there are volume controls for sub volume and the frequency being sent to the sub is adjustable.

I recommend the Voxengo BMS plugin for this purpose.

thanks to all for the assistance. spaceman

You can configure this in Cubase without purchasing plugins.
At time of posting this is still an issue in Cubase 10.5

1. Setup your project to have a main output bus with an LRC configuration. Studio > Audio Connections > Outputs tab and don’t connect to any of the Device Ports, you’ll do that in the control room.

2. Setup a control room channel with the same LRC configuration, Cubase will automatically attach to the main output bus. If you have more than one output bus then you can set which one is the main bus from the right click menu on the bus in the Studio > Audio Connections > Outputs tab. Set the device ports as required.

3. Create a mono Group track to process the Subwoofer, this will be the “C” channel. Route it’s output to the LRC/Centre channel. Add lowpass filtering and level matching as needed.

4. On each channel you’d normally send to the LRC output, you must also send to the Subwoofer group track as a post fader send.

That’s the basics, I’m sure you can integrate it in other ways to your project, for example create an LRC Group that in turn sends to the Subwoofer Group track and Main output. I have Stems Subgroups and send those to the Subwoofer Group as well as the main output, it’s just easier that way for me.

And then set this up in your default project so you’re good to go.

To me, all this all feels like rocket science man…

Why not make this a little bit easier…
Just look at how many CB beginners have problems with this.

Steinberg should quit this complicated system, and simply add all these output options to the mixer, like a real mixer.

So you simply have ALL your outputs in the big mixer, and you can choose where your STEREO OUT from the music will go, like sends… Done. Then those output/sends have all your fancy fx inserts for the bass player, labels and colours for different singers, tralala for the drummer, the control room guys have there sub-out under controls… everybody happy. 100% in the box. Save as a preset, so you never have to think about this poop again.

Not this wizardy hocus pocus stuff…i allready forgot what song i was writing in the time of writing this reply.

Hi Folks:

New user here and I’m in the same predicament. I’d like to (somehow) feed my subwoofer from my Main Stereo out (Post Fade), as any Mastering plugins should be applied to both tops and subs. No use compressing the Main mix and not the Sub. At the same time I’d like to have some sort of EQ control (which could be accomplished by inserting a plugin on the Sub output) for correcting the frequency response of the sub for the room. Is there any way to do this?

-thanks, Mark

this page is full of suggestions to achieve this.