cubase buss outputs to run a sub woofer

Thanks for your help-a nice welcome to the board. I’ve read the entire thread. I’ll try Steinberg support.

-Mark

You ´re welcome…
So if you read the whole thread, what of these many suggestions doesnˋt work for you? Have you tried any or do you just want someone to sum them all up for you? You list an ilive as interface - very easy to create a dedicated sub and L/R feed that is fed by the Cubase stereo out and does everything you ask.

It’s true that this would be very easy to do in an iLive; however for smaller projects I use my Steinberg UR-44. Having 3 pairs of stereo outputs I was hoping that this could be accomplished within Cubase. Being a new user I’m not as familiar with the terminology as I’d like. The manual is absolutely useless for most things: it will tell you a function is possible and not explain how to accomplish it. Even looking at WK’s post-he joined in 2011 and 9 years later is saying that it’s hard to understand Cubase’s routing. Incidentally, I’ve been a full-time sound engineer for the past 25 years.

I’m looking for clear, simple to understand instructions on how to do this. SubZ125’s post looks good, but it doesn’t seem that processing applied to the stereo outs will be applied to the (mono) sub.

-Mark

Cubase´s Routing is not really hard to understand. Not harder than that of an iLive or any other digital mixer - you have virtual / internal busses, that can be connected to different hardware´s outputs or internal FX processors. That´s not as simple as analogue days, but standard with any digital mixer nowadays.

So what you are asking can be accomplished within Cubase, but is not very practical to do.
The only way to have post-fader sends from the Master out channel (in Cubase) are Cue-sends:

• Create two Cue sends - one is Top LR, one is Sub.

• Signal feed is “CUE”

• send postfader from the Master (remember postfader sends are still pre-pan).

That way you can have both signals affected by the main out inserts, and have insert slots for both feeds.
The second possibility is to do the same, but just use a stereo group as Master Output, since groups have sends and to Outputs and direct Routing.
Both ways you lose the Control room Master volume . Same Thing with the mixdown: since you are listening through two different busses (Maybe even with different EQ) but can mixdown only one of the two busses, the mixdown is likely to sound different.
So the better way would be to do it in your interface. Your UR44 has a Software mixer Maybe it is possible there.

Thanks svennilenni for your suggestions but I think the only way to get this is to use my iLive to handle output routing.

In your first suggestion, both Cue Sends would get the same Post Fade processed signal, but I wouldn’t have a separate EQ on the sub. Unlike a live show, I’m not using my studio sub for low end “excitement”, but more for low frequency extension, and so I need to tune it for the flattest response in the room.

For the second suggestion, again I would only get level control to the sub and not any EQ. Most subs responses are anything but flat, even before taking into account room modes. I’ll be measuring it with SMAART to get an even response. The UR44 has no routing flexibility-everything is 1:1.

I already know how to accomplish this in my iLive: return Cubase’s Stereo output to a pair of channels, route the channels to the Main out, then have the Main out feed a Stereo (tops) and Mono (sub) Matrix. I can then tune the tops and sub independently, and I can even put them both on a DCA to use as my Main output level control. They’ll both be receiving the Post-Fade Cubase Mix processing, so all I have to do is EQ and balance their levels, which of course won’t affect the Cubase mix.

I was hoping Cubase had more flexibility in its output routing. Thanks for the suggestions.

-Mark

Yes you would.

You also would. Otherwise I hadn ´t posted such a lengthy answer.
All Cue masters have insert slots and all bus outs have channel EQ and insert slots also.
But as you (and me) already said, itˋs best done in the Interface.

I’ve decided to try and get Cubase/my UR44 to do the Stereo Tops/Mono Sub output setup. If it’s possible to do, I want to know how to do it.

Under Audio Connections/Control Room I created a Stereo and Mono Cue labeled Tops and Sub. On the Mix Console’s Stereo Out Channel tab I enabled Cue Sends 1 and 2 (0.0 db each) and set them to Post Fade. With the Stereo Out showing signal, the two Cue Sends are not receiving anything. At the top centre of each of the Cues Edit Channel Settings window there is a silver button that says No Source, but there’s no way I can see to route the Stereo Out to the Tops and Subs Cue. The windows for Source and Target at the top of each of the Stereo Out, Tops and Sub Edit windows are unresponsive. Where do I go to assign these routings?

-thanks, Mark

You can also use “Mix” and don´t need to use Cue sends from the Main out.

Hi svennilenni:

I got it working! My problem was that I was creating the Cue sends from the Output Tab and not the Control Room Tab of the Audio Connections Window. The Cues were showing up as Output Faders in the Mix Console but were not receiving the Stereo Out.

The picture helped a lot; although it raises another question: In the Control room setting how are you able to have the settings for both Cues open at the same time. On my screen opening Cue 2 collapses Cue 1. You also have separate Control Room Main and Inserts windows up simultaneously. Where would that function be found.

-thanks for all your help-Mark

Yes that´s the problem with Cubase you don´t have standard sends on the Main out (In Nuendo they are - or at least were available). That´s why if you want to do it with “standard busses” you have to use a group track as Master output, from where you can send to othe output busses. Since in n ewer versions you can now assign the output of new tracks already when creating them, it is a little bit easier thann in earlier version, where you first had to create the track that was automatically routed to Main out, and afterwards had to re-assign it to the group output.

[Control]- click the second tab.

That ´s photoshopped for presentation reasons. :smiley:
But you cna show the CR in the project and Mixconsole window by showing the „right zone“ from the toolbar.

Great-thanks again for your help.

-Mark