Cubase Channel Strip, including "Pre", AFTER Insert Section (is all backwards?)

I do exactly that, I make electronic dance music mostly so I do a lot of sound design. I’ve never once wanted what you wanted what your suggesting. It takes me a seconded to balance the levels so for me level matching is worth it. I do not generally mix it in the same project but I have before without any problems.

But you could be right, I’m not watching anyone on YouTube mix so I have no idea on that front. I’ve always gain stage regardless of what I’m doing. But if lots of ppl do not then they might well like this.

I definitely DO NOT want the pre moved from where it is and I do not want to use the wave form as my pre. It’s fiddly and with age my eyesight isn’t what it used to be so I want a dial not a tiny icon on an event. There are enough of them I have to deal with already. I do use it if the signal is blitzing totally over but that is so rare for me anyway. But that’s just me.

I’ve only seen one top level producer who did not care about gain staging. He is a drum and bass producer and I was surprised but then he did not care about any if it, the channel the master, none of it. So I don’t think he’d use your new “pre” either. All the other producers I’ve seen do care about gain staging. But as you say, YouTube is full of ppl that don’t, seems very odd to me. Maybe these ppl on YouTube are only on YouTube. I’ve heard there are a lot of ppl on YouTube giving some really terrible advice. It does not sound like I’m missing much.

Add something else later as well, another “pre”, sure, but currently I like it where it is and how it is. I could careless about what it’s called as long as it works the same and looks the same-ish.

So I do disagree. I like it just how it is. But let’s see if it makes it into a Cubase, that’s the cool aid acid test I guess.

I still think the automation aspect, as you’ve now noted, and hitting the top of the channel faders near zero where they are calibrated wider are also a good selling point.

Good luck, I’ll be gutted if they change anything for the pre where it currently is.

If this is purely a mixing scenario, I look at the meters when gain staging at the event level. I’m putting everything to a sort of average RMS level at the event gain or DOP, and then it’s done. It’s set and forget. This way, the event waveforms graphically represent roughly the actually volume hitting the inserts… rather than seeing a very narrow waveform because it’s low in volume but actually has 16db of gain at the Pre stage.

I don’t have a waveform problem. They are all fine for me. I set using the pre and my waveforms are perfectly fine. I don’t generally have anything recorded so hot the waveform is out of control.

If I did I’d use the waveform handle, but I don’t so I use the pre as it and where it. I use an AV meter and waves dorrough meter to make sure that even though the RMS looks good something very dynamic will not hit zero. It is set and forget alright.

I’m not sold on this one but as you say, lots will…… I think it’s all fine for me as it is, workers perfectly. But that’s just me……as you say, there are lot of ppl that will want this. I don’t see it myself. I think, if anything, it encourages bad techniques. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a great idea or problem solver for other.

What I’m saying is, if I -6db or +6db on the pre gain, that gain is not reflected in the waveform.

If something didn’t get recorded right, and is super low volume… I don’t want that event waveform to stay like that when I’ve added 24db to the pre gain. I want the event itself to have 24db of gain and be able to visually see that this is actually now a loud sound on the timeline.

This is if I’m being tidy about things.

I typically use Inserts for low cut cleanup I’m willing to take the time to use instead of the MixConsole filters. Often I will also “print” those to the event by dragging them into DOP if I’m confident in what can for sure be cut.

It would be interesting to be able to next day open up the project, and just brush over everything with MixConsole pre, EQ, strip… with the inserts before all these mixing utilities.

What I’m saying is most of my waveforms come in at between -1.5 and -5. So if it’s at -1.5 and I want it down to -12 and if I use the waveform tag I have to half the size of the waveform and I end up with a smaller waveform. I want the waveform as it was at -1.5, it all fits into the track perfectly. So I change the pre. That’s most of my tracks. If I export them from my project to mix I will generally I do not even need any pre at all in the mix template because I gain staged it in my main production project so it’s good to go. Export and import.

But if I bring something from someone else in to mix, yes I might change the waveform but usually if it’s a quiet element I import like a smaller waveform. I zoom in for edits anyway. If it was almost none existent I will certainly use the waveform tag. But smaller I’m fine with.

So most of the time I’m trying not to reduce my waveforms not make them larger.

I still like mixing on a different day in a different template. It just gets my head away from the production mindset. I have a template with effects. I import my tracks and drag them to the equivalent track in the template and all my groups and effects are there for a mix start. . I don’t even bring the fx channels over. I just use the fx in my mix template a new as they are already setup with what I usually use and I change plugins from there. Unless it’s something I really like from my production effects channels, I might bring that in. But usually I treat it like someone has dropped of these tracks and told me to make them sound like a record. I try not to think of them as my production that point. Everything has been bounced out, no midi, no virtual instruments, no going back and changing a synth, no going back adjusting insert plugins in production, it’s all audio at the mix stage.

It needs to have a proper design. This way it fits how Cubase already works and adheres to the interface paradigms already in place that people are accustomed to.

Your suggestion was complicated and scattered. It introduced a hard to read change with big implications either at the top level of the channel strip hierarchy or in the settings which would be even more obscure.

The strip already has different modules, properly categorized, that can be inserted so it’s a user choice to complicate which is always better.

I’m just explaining why I don’t use the Pre gain, I do all my gain staging at the event level… whether down or up, -12 or +24, I prefer to have the event waveforms represent roughly their actual amplitude. Inserts are gainstaged so output = input, and thus, the only other gain change happens at the faders which is setting their intended mixed level.

This is really the entire point of the feature request, except, to keep it all in one project. If you’re working with multiple people, this can be an asset (also a detriment). I have 2 young producers working under me right now, they do their thing, then I come in and tidy up… This FR, would allow me to balance this projects without mucking about in my colleagues inserts, automation, pre gain, etc, etc.

Doesn’t everything need to have a proper design? I never said it didn’t need to have a proper design… Basically, if Steinberg plunked this in tomorrow, it would adhere to the interface paradigms already in place and are accustomed to… unless, you might not know this unless you have actually gone deep into Cubase.

My suggestion was to enable the ability to move the ‘Pre’ sections position in the signal chain, like many things already can as you’ve pointed out in the strip among many other places, like post-fader/pre-fader inserts.

How is being able to move something that already exists in the signal order, which, probably is fairly code flexible as it is and likely already has the structured code utilities to make it happen… more complicated than creating something completely new, can be inserted anywhere, has its own faders, it’s own ballistics modeled VU, is going to need to be wired to automation and other protocols - mix snapshot, mix undo/redo, GUI, channel saving/loading, presets, etc, etc???

I’m just asking that the pre section can be moved, at the very the least, to be post-insert… but ideally be moved anywhere in the channel signal chain including Post-Post-Fader-Inserts. That is more complicated?

They probably already have constructed the development templates and utilities with MixConsole to make that happen tomorrow…

That’s a pretty big workflow preference and is not suitable for all situations. That’s an okay way to work if you’re working alone, or if you’re running out of CPU processor, or you’re wanting to render different stages of the project.

But if you have 2 or 3 people working on the same project in one day, who ever is boss of that project may want access to the entire project in its real-time incarnation.

This has been an interesting, albeit fairly highly convoluted, thread. The subject line caught my curiosity initially, partly because having a “pre” (as in “preamp”) section AFTER inserts is certainly not backwards, but also partly because there have been times where I’d like to have the “pre” controls be available, or more likely “also be available”, after the inserts.

For context, it may be helpful to note that my projects are mostly traditional music production in the sense of the sort of instrumentation that might have been done with live players, and hardware instruments, in a recording studio back when I was starting to record music, but with the twist that these days all my tracks except vocals are typically virtual instruments. I do some degree of sound design in that context, but it is generally sound design for the best fit in the context of the song and recording, as opposed to sound design for sound design’s sake. I also arrange, record, edit, mix, and master in the same project.

Now getting back to the “pre” section consideration:

Most of the time, the Pre is exactly where it should be for my needs. I’ll use the HPF and LPF just like I would in a hardware console, and I’ll also use the gain like I would a trim control in such a console. I am not working with audio waveforms because I’m working with virtual instruments (and, at least to date, it has been exceedingly rare for me to start with a rendered WAV file of a virtual instrument part since I like the flexibility of being able to tweak the arrangement during the mix if I find somewhere that would be beneficial – and I frequently do). So I’ll take the output of the virtual instrument, usually put a VU meter plugin in there for gain staging temporarily, mostly for the purpose of analog emulation plugins that want traditional analog-style signal levels to optimize how they respond, and do any gain staging. I may or may not tweak the HPF and LPF right away, or use them at all, because it depends on what I’m doing after that in my mixing. In particular, it is very common for me to use third party channel strip plugins (e.g. from Waves, PSP Audioware, et al) for my main mixing duties. With some key exceptions, I’m generally relying on the sound out of the virtual instruments to be the sound I want for purposes of starting a mix. What comes after that will typically be a channel strip and sends to any FX buses, with outputs going to subgroup buses in most cases (the main exception on the outputs is when there is only one instrument of a particular category, such as piano, where it will go to an instrumental submix group in parallel with other submix groups like electric guitars, acoustic guitars, synths, etc.)

The big exception where I would tend to like to use pre-type processing after channel inserts tends to be virtual electric guitars. I may also use the pre section prior to guitar signal chains (typically Guitar Rig Pro, AmpliTube, TH3, et al), but I will almost always want to have pre-type capabilities after what would have been the analog output of the guitar signal chain in this case. (This is my most common scenario for the sound design case, though not the only one, as sometimes I’ll also do some creative FX processing in inserts.) In some senses, it is no biggie that I can’t have it there, because I’m usually using channel strip plugins instead of the MixConsole controls, and most channel strip plugins at least have HPF, and usually also LPF, controls, but it would be nice.

This is especially true in the cases where I have to freeze the virtual instrument track with its inserts to get CPU performance back, but that is also an issue for the channel strip plugin use because I can’t just, say, freeze through the point of the guitar signal chain then let me put the channel strip after it for working on the mix. So I typically doe the freeze/unfreeze/refreeze dance as needed during the mix. Or, alternately, I’ll just route the instrument track to a group bus of its own, then do the mix-level processing there. I can even hide the original channel if having both visible would be confusing. In fact, there are some contexts where I need to do the extra channel thing anyway in cases where I am dealing with a mono track (more likely on my lead vocal, but some virtual instruments also put out a mono signal) that will need stereo inserts.

There are also cases where I’m not being careful enough with my insert gain staging (or where specific plugins I’m using don’t have needed capabilities in this area), where it would be nice to have a trim control after the inserts (but prior to the fader) to allow using the full resolution of the fader. However, when I need this, I typically just set the original track fader wherever it needs to be then use a VCA track in place of the original track fader. This also has some advantages in cases of multiple similar tracks that need the same fader automation but have their track faders starting at different points. (And I also use VCA faders when I’ve already got fader automation on a track or set of tracks but find I need to bump things up or down a bit.)

So, what am I saying with respect to the original proposal??? I guess I’m somewhat ambivalent because I can already do everything I need to do easily enough, even if sometimes that means treating the original track as an audio input and using a single instrument group track as the track for mixing. I hate to see more complexity added to an already complex picture. But I also certainly wouldn’t mind a post inserts, or maybe even post-fader (or either/or), trim control (and maybe even additional LPF/HPF). But then do I also need more insert slots after that since I generally prefer channel strip plugins to MixConsole controls??? If so, that either complicates the channel strip signal flow even further or just sends me back to what I already do (i.e. using a separate MixConsole channel as the mix-level strip while leaving the original track as more like the input to that mixer strip).

Also, one big consideration on my 2014 vintage PC is that I’ll often run out of oomph at mix time, so using a group channel with inserts as a mix channel, where I can’t directly freeze that channel can cause some extra acrobatics. Those extra acrobatics can be somewhat simpler in Cubase 12 due to some of the enhancements rendering, but, when I do need to deal with those, the rendered track will be out of sync with the original track if I adjust things after the rendering (i.e. on the new audio track that would have been the equivalent of the group track).

One thing I will say on the proposal as the one graphic mockup of a potential solution that was posted looked to me to be overcomplicated. If something is added/changed in this area, I would hope it would be kept simple in the same way the current Pre implementation is (and in the same way it always has been in analog signal flow). I’m also not convinced that just having the location of the Pre be variable on a per-track basis (I definitely would not want it on a mix-wide basis) would buy much for my needs in that I am mostly using third party processing at the channel level. (I do sometimes use the MixConsole EQ after that, though, since it works after tracks frozen with inserts, if I need to fix additional issues at the final mix stage.)

1 Like

@rickpaul

Thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough reply and making an effort to at least acknowledge and consider the bits of logic behind why I’m asking for this FR.

the ‘is all backwards?’ part admittedly what a bit of play as well as a subtle invocation of the “there are no rules” concept, I’m glad I was able to bait someone such as yourself, willing to deliberate and converse with an open mind, into the thread.

We have fairly similar backgrounds and realities today.

I agree the ‘Pre’ is where it should be in terms of industry standards, traditional signal topology, and what the average user will use (or not bother changing if they had the option). As you mention with consoles, having HPF/LPF on the Preamp section is common, this is actually another reason I don’t the Pre/Filter stage there… My main working mic preamps in the studio all have LPF and so that job is already done.

I can get away working just fine with what is currently available, so I feel you there. For me, I’m always looking for 1% increases in workflow efficiency, and try to take advantage of every feature… The Pre/Filter section is something I haven’t taken advantage of, for the reasons I’ve explained throughout the thread.

Apart from moving the Pre/Filter section and EQ section down, that is how my MixConsole is currently set up, nothing else is added. Perhaps, it could stay where it is and it would just be a background topology change.

It would definitely be good enough for me as I hardly use it as it is, and, I probably would make the change to be mix console wide, with the exception of the Main Out perhaps… I would save my templates this way.

This might actually be the biggest point for doing this. I use Freeze Tracks a lot, and, it could be helpful to have that Pre aka Trim/filter, after the inserts just for that reason alone.

Thanks again for taking the time to chime in

I freeze pretty much all my tracks at some point due to computer limitations. I wouldn’t even say it’s CPU in my case, as the CPU meters at the system level typically show plenty of headroom – there has to be something else that is causing the processing latency issues that (eventually) get to dropping sample buffers, but I’ve spent loads of time troubleshooting this, initially with Cakewalk SONAR, even with some help from Cakewalk’s main engineer, then more recently with Cubase, with no verdict and only mild improvements here and there. But the thing is I usually want more than just HPF/LPF/gain after the frozen bits, and, other than the electric guitar-like case (where I definitely want channel strip plugins after the frozen part), I generally don’t need HPF/LPF/gain after the frozen bits because they are part of what is frozen. It is more like an extra level of (minimal) EQ tweaking – kind of what might be done on a group bus or mix or master bus, only sometimes on an individual track (since I am sometimes using individual tracks for what might more commonly be a group bus – drums are a good example, since I mostly use the Superior Drummer 3 mixer for what might usually be a drum bus if using separate outputs for different drums).

The difference is that the EQ features are available after the frozen parts, whereas the specific pre-stuff, other than an HPF (since a band of the EQ can be used that way if not needed for a low shelf or parametric band) are not. If the EQ itself had two extra bands (one for HPF, another for LPF) plus a post-EQ gain (if I even need that gain since the fader comes right after that, and I can always move the entire fader automation curve up or down if needed to adjust without using a VCA), that would cure the few cases where I really do want those extra bands and would prefer not to have to unfreeze, add a plugin, then refreeze or just use another mixer channel.

But I definitely hear you on the incremental workflow improvements. The group freeze/unfreeze feature in Cubase 12, which I’d really missed in earlier versions of Cubase since SONAR had it pretty much forever, is a huge workflow improvement when it’s needed (which is on pretty much every project at least a few times).

Fair enough, I’d rather use the actual filters for just garbage disposal, and then use the EQ for actual tone shaping/mixing.

It would just be a different way of working for those who want it… I have no need for the Pre/Filters in their current topological placement.

Not sure if this was talked about,

But this could half-remedy the problem of Mix Snapshots not storing automation. It wouldn’t remedy complex automation differences, but you could at least use this to make any overall balance differences between Mix Snapshots without having to change volume automation lines, which then, would not translate to other Mix Snapshots. The Mix Snapshots could store the Pre-Filter after Insert or after Fader, that could be very handy here. The VCA faders could potentially also accomplish this… but… this would be simpler because you might want to end up automating the VCA faders.