Cubase crashes on launch

I have had this issue EVERY single time I open Cubase. It will crash, I re-launch and get a
“The Application was terminated with an error while executing the following file:”

But the file is always different…

Deleting program preferences will allow the program to launch, but I have to re-select my interface, there is nothing in the recent list and, Cubase asks me if I need to register.
It’s quite an annoyance, but Cubase is usable as long as I can still open my projects.

AMD R9 5950X
Asus Strix RTX 3090
32GB RAM
2TB PCIE 3.0 NVME
256GB SATA3 SSD

Here are my most recent dumps
Cubase Artist 11.0.30.419 64bit 2021.8.4 23.05.25.910.dmp (710.5 KB)
Cubase Artist 11.0.30.419 64bit 2021.8.4 23.18.17.742.dmp (708.3 KB)

Hi and welcome on the forum,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi @Philosophics

Since when do you observe this problem? Did it occur in earlier versions of Cubase, also?

The crashes you uploaded happened in “MicrosoftGSWavetableSynth::LoadDLSFile”. The MicrosoftGSWavetableSynth is present on every Windows computer, but normally it doesn’t crash in that situation. There must be something special on your system …

You said, that you trashed your preferences, already. But the problem keeps coming back. Did you try to trash preferences of previous Cubase versions as well? (Otherwise Cubase tries to migrate them to the new version)

Another thing you could try, is to go to “Studio/Studio Setup…/MIDI Port Setup” and activate “Use Device ‘DirectMusic’”. If you then restart Cubase, does the problem still persist?

Hi @Philosophics have you found some time to try my suggestions?

I am fairly positive this is caused by the use of VoiceMeeter. This will have to be annoyance I live with, as not using VoiceMeeter is not an option.

Hi @Philosophics , great thank you for the clarification. There was another user having reported the same type of crash and he confirmed to have used VoiceMeeter, also. I will close the issue, as it is something to be fixed in VoiceMeeter. Thank you!

Have this problem since 11.0.20 (up to 11.0.40), IIRC. At times Cubase opens and hangs straightaway. I close it through Task Manager, reopen - and it works okay. No crash dump files are generated, no preference alteration makes sense since it opens fine the second time.

I have Cubase 9.5. 10 and 10.5 installed as well - no such issue.

UPDATE: Cubase always hangs first launch after PC being in Sleep Mode.