Cubase Crashes

Any os updates?

Mine is running like a dream now, but when I first installed I did a windows 8 update that killed Cubase… Just a thought… Hope you get it dmann… its really a step up from 7.5… I know you will enjoy it when your running strong.

I am surprised the support hasn’t got with you… maybe shoot an email to luis or something… One thing for me, is the support has been top notch…

Interesting, as they have still to reply to my request submissions from January.

8/8.0.5/8.0.10 just crashes all the time too at various points.

As I’ve tried different hardware and o/s now, well, I can’t see how that can be the problem really, especially as Sonar, Studio One (and Reaper, though I don’t really use that) all work fine. It’s like flogging a dead horse.

I’ve not experienced any performance improvements in 8… 7.5.4 still gives me better performance.

Do not get me wrong… nothing would please me more to get working with 8. But it’s no use when it crashes as it does and I can’t deliver to clients because it can’t handle projects at 96kHz as Sonar does on my gear.

I don’t think my hair has ever fallen out so quickly.

I have always had the 96kHz performance issue even with 7.5.40.

It sounds like you have more VSTis and inserts on the channels than insert effects on Group Channels, so Sonar is going to beat Cubase in this “mostly parallel signal path” use-case, due to its better audio engine.

Cubase only beats Sonar when Sonar runs into that serial signal path limit it has (where it must “fit” the entire chain on a single core, or audio drop-outs ensue).

Also, because you’re running at 96khz, Sonar’s more efficient audio engine is getting to flex its muscles even more, as compared to Cubase.

In my case, since I have more buss effects than VSTis (since I freeze each track anyway), Cubase beats Sonar due to Sonar’s serial signal path on one core limit.

If Sonar ever breaks past this limit and allows a serial signal path to split across cores, it will toast Cubase in every use-case.

Well, until maybe an ASIO Guard 3 comes out and perhaps improves the situation. :smiley: Let’s hope it does.

…to add another thought…

I mean, since we have render-in-place now, it’s somewhat reasonable to suggest: “just bounce the VSTis and their inserts for each channel / track.”

Because if you do that, then Cubase should beat Sonar, as it will allow more than one core of the CPU for the only tasks left to do: any buss effects.

With Sonar, you only get 1 core of your CPU to use for all stereo buss effects. Which ain’t enough for me. I use a shipload of buss effects (and busses that feed into other busses, which all count as “one” serial signal path and therefore must fit on a single core in Sonar).

Basically, my copy of Sonar X3 is useless to me until they address this. Which they may never.

So, it really does depend on what you’re doing. The topic of “Audio Buffer Multi-core Scheduling” is not black and white. There are pros, cons and tradeoffs to each approach and each DAW does it differently.

I’m surprised by that. It’s odd. I’ve similar to what you describe in this project, lots of buses, buses feeding buses, but I’m not getting the problem you describe in Sonar.

I can’t even get all the tracks of the project in the project with Cubase.

I’ve tried freezing - it certainly drops the load, but it’s not a big drop, not enough to work with.

When Cubase is maxing out on the performance, I haven’t even got all the tracks of the project in the project.

If I look at my actual CPU usage when Cubase is struggling, it doesn’t exceed 30%. Yet in Sonar, with all the tracks loaded, the CPU usage is lower.

It will be software alright, but not necessarily Cubase. If everyone was having these issues then you might have a case. The chances are is that it is something to do with a piece of software that you are using.

I do have the occasional window come up when I shut down that Cubase has stopped working, but only on certain projects and I need to spend some time seeing what the common links that each of these projects have. However my system now works very smoothly at 64 samples with Asio Guard engaged.

I’ve not read the whole thread. Buty I had some crashes and chased it down to some 32bit fx in the end of fx chains. Eventually I found out Jbridge has been updated to work better with C8. I totally missed that.
I updated my Jbridge tool to 1.72 and my crashes are gone. Hopefully this helps one person somewhere

Don’t know if this will help, but I first renamed my 8.0.10 Prefs folder to something different, then copied my Prefs folder from 7.5.20 over to 8.0.10 and everything’s working fine for me - so far anyway.

Two questions:

1- When you say “crashes,” I assume you mean “freezes?”

2- Why isn’t Steinberg jumping all over this problem?? I believe everyone in this post knows what they’re talking about. You’re not just a bunch of hacks who know nothing about DAWs and computers. WTH is Steinberg??!!

I too have suffered with this “freezing” problem, and I’m not talking about our crappy cold weather here in Canada :slight_smile:!

JayAudion,
I assume Jbridge tool is a third party plugin? I’m having freeze ups with native Cubase plugins only. I don’t have any external plugins running.

Jamusic,
Would you be willing to share your 7.5 Prefs folder? Would that help me (us)?

Thanks.

Sure - I’d have no problem sharing my Prefs folder.

I’ll attach it here in a few minutes.

In the meantime, let me say that there’s no more ‘cold crappy weather’ here in my section of Canada - not since I left Ontario in 1982. :mrgreen:

Ok, so I wasn’t able [or I just don’t know how] to simply upload the Preferences folder directly, so I went to Dropbox, and same thing there.

So I’ve duplicated each folder where necessary, included their contents and just dragged & dropped the rest of the files that weren’t in folders.

You may have to move them one by one.

You’ll have to rename your original Preferences folders something like Qubase 7.5_64 [or anything for that matter].

Better to rename it than delete it, in case you want to use it again.

The default location is User\ Appdata\Roaming\Steinberg.

I have a few key commands in there, such as:

K for Key Commands
S for Setup
P for Preferences

No brainers, right? :smiley:

Let me know if there’s problems with it, and I’ll double check it again.

Jamusic–you rock!

In the meantime, let me say that there’s no more ‘cold crappy weather’ here in my section of Canada - not since I left Ontario in 1982. > :mrgreen:

Sure, rub it in! I can take the Ontario weather. I’m an old 1950s-1960s Montreal kid. Living in the middle of the St. Lawrence River during the winter makes you tough.

Thanks for the Dropbox file. Don’t you need my email address for sharing? If so, it’s acre@cogeco.ca

Thanks!

Jamusic,

How do I access your Dropbox file. When I click the link, it says the file doesn’t exist. Thanks.

• Lee

Not sure - I’ll PM you my name & password to it.

Nothing special in there to hide - or protect.

PM coming your way.

PM sent!

I guess I could have tried your email too. I’m new to Dropbox. I only installed it last week to share some videos with Thomann.de in Germany.

Let me know if it doesn’t work, and I’ll try that next.

I was born in 1961.

As for the weather, sounds like we both walked to school in -25 to -35 degree winter weather. :unamused:

As for the weather, sounds like we both walked to school in -25 to -35 degree winter weather.

Yep, and it was uphill in both directions :slight_smile:

Would you send the file to my email address? Many thanks, Jamusic!

• Lee

Uphill both ways, huh?? :unamused:

Well at least you could toboggan down both ways home then. :laughing:

Sure. Let me get to that. It may take me a while to figure it out, but I’ll work at it.

Edit: Ok, all done Lee.
I found a way to send the folder as a zip file, in case anyone else wants it.

Hopefully it will work for you Lee. Let us know.

Thanks, Jamusic! I just received the file in my email. It made it past the mail server.

It may take a while to see the effect (no pun intended).

• Lee

Ok, thanks Lee.
Again, I had to add them one by one so if there’s a problem, I may have to double check that they’re all there in their respective folders.