Cubase crashing without crash dump

Hi,

I have a new PC running windows 10 and a UR22 mk2 interface and have been unsuccessfully trying to install Cubase so it is stable. I have installed and updated to Artist 9.5.30 64 bit. At best I can playback for just over and hour running 10 tracks of VST with lots of FX - to test the setup. The Cubase CPU meter shows around 20%.

So without any warning or stutter, Cubase just vanishes and i’m left with the desktop. No crash dump.

All drivers upto date. I have followed the optimising your DAW instructions on the Steinberg site including disabling the AMD Cool and Quiet in the bios.

The spec of my PC is ;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400 (2 X 8GB)
Storage 1: 256GB SSD
Storage 2: 2TB HDD
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W
Case: DeepCool Tesseract
Operating System: Windows 10

I’m not a great technical person but have tried to research what this problem is - am starting to get frustrated from a week of crashes ranging from between 10 minutes use and and an hour. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome,

You wrote, there is no crash dump file. Did you check the Documents/Steinberg/crashdumps folder? Or how do you know, there is no crash dump, please? If there is any, share the file here, please.

Hi, thankyou and glad to be here. I’ve been using Cubase for 20+ years and never joined the forum.

I have checked for a crash dump in Documents/Steinberg/crashdumps folder. There are no files. I do not get an error message when Cubase crashes. It just shuts down without any warning. Windows 10 remains completely stable. Mysterious.

I’m sorry, I’m not Windows expert, so I don’t know, what kind of tool to use to observe your system.

By any chance, don’t you save your projects to Dropbox or similar? Is it stored locally?

Thanks Martin. I save locally to a hardrive. I use a UR22 mark 2 external sound interface. I have the correct driver for it but have read that you can update it’s firmware. A bit technical for me but could this be causing a problem? Seems a long shot.

Hi,

Hard to guess without the crash dump. The hard crash could be hardware related.

So a new Yamaha / Steinberg USB driver was released yesterday - 25th Sept 18, for me that has made things a bit more stable. Definitely not rock solid, but better. Still got an unexpected close of Cubase last night while messing about. But i left it overnight playing 10 tracks of VST in a loop of 16 bars and it was still playing it this morning - hasn’t achieved that before.

I have the exact problem and actually i have the same CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G as you do. Nothings helps, please enlighten me if you figure this out better. I bought this computer a week ago and it worked just fine on my last computer.

Hi Pete, so here is a list of the changes i have made in the last 7 days on a new PC with a clean install of Windows 10. Much more stable, but not perfect at all, still occasional crashes.

Turn off all power saving / screensavers within windows.

Installed Cubase 9.5 Artist
Installed update Cubase 9.5.30 https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/cubase_pro_95.html

Installed Halion Sonic 3 & update 3.1.15 HALion Sonic 3 updates and downloads | Steinberg

Installed update UR 22 driver 1.10.2 Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver Updates and Downloads | Steinberg
Installed a flash update to the UR22 UR22mkII Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

All cables are new ( I had some usb cables from 10 years ago!).
In the PC BIOS I changed Cool n Quiet feature to Disabled.
I have unchecked ASIO Guard feature within Cubase.

Hope this helps. Please let me know anything you find to make things more stable.

Hey!

I just wanted to let you know that the source of the issue has been found out.
Apparently AMD Ryzen Driver 18.9.3 didn’t work with cubase. (Which is the newest one)
I downgraded to 18.5.1 and it has been working better now, without crashes.
Found out that it might’ve been the graphics because apparently “Graphics2.dll was causing failures”.

Ill let you know if I get a crash like that ever again.

Great news. Crash free, what a dream. Do you mean the AMD Ryzen Driver 18.9.1 ? I cannot find a driver called 18.5.1.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-desktop-processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5-0
When you click the “Drivers” you’ll see 18.9.3 and 18.5.1 and ryzen master. Get the 18.5.1

That’s great thanks. I had to install the driver in compatibility windows 7 setting but seems to have worked.

I will give Cubase a big test tomorrow night and fingers crossed this is sorted. :slight_smile:

Yeah!
Let me know whetever it works or not. Such a relief after 2 weeks of not working being able to use it.

Oh dear. I’m still crashing every 30 minutes despite the display adaptor driver change. The search goes on for a stable Cubase for me…

do you disconnect from the internet and turn off virus protection ?

This warning box has appeared several times :-

“The licence for application ‘VST Connect SE’ will expire soon. Duration until expiration. 4 hours 45 minutes 16 seconds”

I have clicked OK once and it crashed Cubase.

Help Steinberg!

So I had 3 hours on Cubase last night without a single crash :slight_smile: So happy! To test it properly i left 10 tracks of VST and audio and FX playing in a loop overnight. Problem solved i have a stable Cubase!

Solution - I completely uninstalled the AMD Ryzen driver for the graphics adaptor. So the graphic driver is now the generic windows driver. I suspect i’ve lost my super smooth graphics ability (should this be reported to Steinberg or AMD?) but i’ve gained the primary reason for the PC.