Cubase/Dorico Integration?

Thanks, yes Logic is simpler to use

TheMaestro hello,
Many of us will prefer to work with the Score Editor, instead of the Key Editor, if it worked as it really should.
Unfortunately the Score Editor and the Expression Maps are nice as idea, but totally useless in practice. :frowning:

The conception and integration of the Score Editor and the Expression Maps must be changed in order this functions
to be really useful.
I’ve wrote the following post: Serious Improvement of Score Editor, E. Maps and Instrument/Midi Track - #3 by Thurisaz - Cubase - Steinberg Forums which explain
enough well how both features should work…

Three major points should be refined in order to have fully functional, and easy to use Score Editor:

1. Completely New Design of the Score Editor + tons of improvements

2. Completely New Expression Maps - exactly as they work in Overture 5.5.
    The expression mapping was in Overture long before their integration into Cubase.
    To me is some kind of enigma why the EM in Cubase are so terrible and useless, since
    there is an existing example how they actually must work?!

3. A New Conception about the Instrument/MIDI tracks is needed. Let’s call it a “Traditional
    Orchestral Score Sheet”. Another thing which already exists in Overture 5.5 /this application
    could serve as the best example for this, too
    /.
    It’s so easy in Overture to load all per instrument library patches into a single Kontakt instance and to
    rout them to a single Staff/Track.

Probably Steinberg should invite Don Williams, from Sonic Scores, to help them to properly integrate
this new conception. :wink:

That’s it! :slight_smile:

Greetings :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree totally with Thurisaz’s post above

1 Like

I’m curious to understand why you don’t simply use Overture?

Steve hello,
Of course I’m using Overture as main tool for working with MIDI. Since I’ve started using this application, at the end of 2017, despite
some problems, it became my main software for composing, arranging and orchestrating. :slight_smile: Then I export the Audio from Overture and import it
into Cubase. I rarely use Cubase Pro for MIDI editing, only if I have to work with synths.
Well I would like to have “All in one”, so, that’s why I insist for this huge improvement, which will make our life much easier… especially
for those of us who prefer the notation instead of midi mock-up. :slight_smile:
Overture is The Best example how the things should be implemented. Very intuitive, fast and easy to use… Follows exactly the meaning of
Creativity First”. You don’t have to waste so much time on creativity killer things like the Manual, tons of tech stuffs… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Thurisaz

Thanks for your post.

You can not request that the Score Editor to resemble another software.
They are simply designed differently, each with their strengths and weak points

Overture is a great DAW-like notation software, nicely designed and easy to use with lots of well-thought-out settings.
Sorry but the same applies to Cubase Score Editor.

New design? not really necessary, the design of the Score Editor is OK and consistent with the rest of Cubase. But why not?

Tons of improvements?
Totally agree. Tons, Always…

The Expressions in Overture is very well designed, excellent, I agree.
The Expression Maps in Cubase is also extremely powerful, though it hasn’t been improved since its integration.
But Ironically, I cannot use expressions in Overture, because for example, I need to send mutiple Controllers for each expression, and that is not possible. In Cubase you can set output mapping without limitations. So you see, conversely, Overture is unfortunately “useless” for me, due to this particular case.

Sorry I don’t understand what you describe so I won’t comment.

Don Williams has been doing a great job for years, I completely agree (I even used his Encore before Score Editor). As to whether Michael Michaelis would have something to learn from him, I don’t know, as he too has been doing a great job for over 25 years on the Score Editor.
For the rest, I woudldn’t want to be rapped on the knuckles by -steve- for hijacking more this thread which is about Dorico integration into Cubase and I will reply to your other thread about the Score Editor more specifically. :wink:
My apologies to the OP but it’s impossible to talk about Dorico/Cubase integration without talking about the currenlty integrated scoring feature in Cubase.

TheMaestro, You are plainly incorrigible. Report to Mother Superior at the end of the school day. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:cry::laughing:

1 Like

I tried using score editor this morning. I have a big trailer track that needs cleaning up and the orchetsration sorting out but the score editor looks like a Jackson Pollock. Dp and Logic are much better.

1 Like

Score editor is functional but the point of Dorico integration would be to speed the process of moving midi over to dorico for marking up. At present yo need to carefully quantise all midi very correctly, export it, go to your score score DAW (Dorico, Sibelius). Import it… then realise there are problems caused by some badly quantised midi.
Having Dorico integration would mean the use could see how the midi was being interpretted by Dorico and clean it right there in Cubase and go back and forth between midi editor and integrated Dorico editor to see that notation is translating smoothly.

Other ideas / enhancements:
Dynamics: Most orchestral libraries have a MIDI controller assigned to dynamics. Why not have Dorico pick up on those controllers and write in dynamic marking based on certain controller values.
Articulations: There may be a way to indicate to the score articulation changes based on expression map and write that into the score automatically.

1 Like

As I mentioned in my comment above, the Score Editor must be redesigned (probably they could just integrate Dorico’s - Write Mode).

The integration must be ARA-like based.

1. If one enters/records notes, articulations, dynamics, tempo, time signature, key signature in Dorico they must instantly appear in
    Cubase / Nuendo and vice versa.
  2. If one does any changes while only one of the both apps is started, there should be a Sync option to synchronize/update the project
    when both are active.

1 Like

Don’t get your hopes up. There are many reasons, technical and other, that render the statement, “probably they could just integrate Dorico’s - Write Mode” false.

I totally second all of the said things.
At least a direct import/export feature that maybe allows a little more to be taken over than music xml, the Dorico fonts etc. would be great IMO.
Although Score Editor in Cubase is underrated (a little more tutorial videos on the Steinberg channel might help) a “real” integration/interaction with Dorico would be very cool! Especially when you have mixed Audio/Midi Projects where you maybe had the midi parts laid out already but want to notate the audios then.
Or any transcription job really would profit greatly from being able to jump/navigate from a cubase playback (being able to use the CC121 e.g.) and having the same position in Dorico. (Maybe this can be done in with Rewire - I haven’t tested this out because I’m quite new to Dorico, but this would be one thing that I’d love, if it was possible.
Also beging able to use the cc121 with Dorico for transport/jogging and basic mixing would be great…

cheers,
Stefan

I have actually seriously used the Cubase score editor a few times for a few pieces, and it was all right, but was not super happy with the result and how much work it was to produce that result.

What I really want to be able to do is export .dorico files from Cubase - MusicXML is not sufficient. Then all articulations and techniques can be properly retained, and I can work in Cubase, export to a .dorico file, and start cleaning up in Dorico. I think in order to do that, Steinberg would have to bring the Dorico rendering engine into Cubase. I would be happy with something like DP’s QuickScribe and don’t really need editing. Dorico’s default rendering is fine and if it can bring in the articulations from the expression map that is ideal. I would be quite satisfied with that.

I think the biggest problem with integrating the Dorico engine into Cubase would probably be compatibility with existing files - how would the score data (which is probably stored completely differently than Dorico would) be converted over? I would presume that that is probably why it has not happened yet - Steinberg doesn’t want to make scores from old versions of Cubase unreadable in new versions by removing features. But if it is a choice between retaining compatibility for the small percentage of users who use the score editor vs. getting much better functionality for everybody with the Dorico engine, I would rather they toss out the score editor.

Maestro - I have to disagree with you. DP’s quick scribe most often produces intelligible and printable pages with minimal intervention. There are many, many occasions I’ve needed to produce parts on the fly directly from the sequencer, and the transcription engine has been flawless. And we’re talking about an element of the program that hasn’t seen an update in years. It has many clunky features - as does the rest of the program (one reason why I’ve switched) I wouldn’t use it for serious copying tasks. But the notion that “each page requires a lot of work and fine adjustments” simply doesn’t have to be the case.
A program should be intelligent enough that it doesn’t need telling what the prevailing note values, note lengths and rest values need to be be in a given passage of music. Choices of clef, Grand Staff etc. can and should be automatic. Inferences about the prevailing key should result in accidentals being appropriately and automatically displayed (For example if I’m obviously writing in the key of F, I should never see A# unless I ask for it. Brackets should appear consistently and automatically. I know, I know, there are workarounds for everything, but believe me, there are other programs that do this work with so much less fuss… Just because you’re well acclimatized to the status quo, it doesn’t mean in can’t be improved!

Your posting of Greg Ondo’s video later in this thread only reinforces this point. None of the steps that he has to go through to get an incredibly basic piece of music to look usable are necessary in other platforms.

It is not just about Score editor capabilities! It constantly crashes that effect people performances. I had many examples of Score editor closing on me, crashing cubase, and not responsive do course clicks, behaving weird when notes are entered, etc. Let’s new version of cubase Doribase or Curico with higher price and keep the original cubase as It is with the old (never to be updated) Score editor. Someone please tell me what are the enhancements and new features of Score editor since 2004 were we have Cubase SX3? Here is the manualftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Cubase_SX_3/Docs_English/SX_only/Score_Layout_and_Printing.pdf that is even richer in terms of the content than the current one in 2019!

We want this happen because Steinberg will be committed to upgrade the Score Editor consistently with DAW!

While I love Cubase as the cornerstone of my composing environment, the Score Editor just looks bad and outdated. It feels like a science project to me. It’s bad enough that I felt compelled to go out and buy Sibelius. And while Avid is a monster and Sibelius is it’s kid brother, it makes me feel like a composer when I use it. Crazy, I know. But true. And that translates in to a better creative experience. When I discovered that I could use Rewire to sync the two apps together, I was so happy. That allowed me to seamlessly orchestrate side-by-side with recording new audio tracks, do SFX and sound design and adjust my tempo map as needed.

I’m not afraid of learning curves. Sibelius has a freaking, crazy learning CURVE! But the way it’s laid out does not make me feel like a software engineer. Again, it makes me feel like a composer. I think one of the most important aspects of it is that IT LOOKS LIKE MANUSCRIPT PAPER! I know that might seem superficial, but it’s not. It’s great to see that as I enter notes in, it looks like notes on paper and not how Skynet might want it. It’s inspiring.

However, editing MID and CC stuff in Sibelius SUCKS! lol And that’s why I started investing in Dorico. Dorico is gorgeous and I LOVE the new MIDI capabilities introduced in Dorico 2.2. I think my fav feature is being able to adjust note start times without affecting the notation appearance - super effective if you are combining longs, legato and shorts on one stave/track. However, it’s not Cubase and never will be (nor should be!). But when it comes to writing like a composer, it’s even more inspiring than Sibelius BUT I CAN’T GET IT TO SYNC TO CUBASE - therefore I have to continue to use Sibelius. I’ve tried to use the Score Editor but it’s just so… blah. I think it was probably GREAT when it first came out but it’s no longer up to speed with the competition. It certainly doesn’t seem to have the development that most other aspects of Cubase has. It almost feels like it’s the family member that is tolerated at the annual family Christmas dinner because it’s the dude that brought the napkins.

Steinberg needs to do better here. They are hitting the ball out of the park with the other parts of Cubase (I LOVE!!! Cubase 10!) But this area needs help. Give Score Editor a good Dorico-light makeover and/or at least get the Dorico guys on the phone and figure out how to make the two sibling apps work together beyond exporting MusicXML files.

Pretty please.

I hear you. You should completely divorce Finale and Sibelius to live with the old Score Editor. I have written hundreds of pages of music scores using Finale in the past. But they have their limitations as well, specially if you plan to compose something outside Orchestral music. I guess that is what we have so far. Now that Dorico is out there, it is harder for us to pitch our concerns to enhance Score editor! Even toy Notation software do Microtuner/quatertone scaling. Many things can be done, but like I said the old folks don’t like to break their habits!

Sometimes, I tell myself, forget about all these and work with some open source DAW and Notation software and you have access to back end of the programs!

+1
I agree and I’m not even a Dorico user.

+1

The cleverest company strategies integrate products to encourage customers to invest across the product base due to workflow and convenience advantages. It all needs to be elegant and useful and that includes Wavelab on the other side