Hello good people
Here is my setup.
Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) 3.7 Ghz Quad-Core
64 GB Ram
OSX 10.9.5 (rolled back from 10.10 to try and fix the problem)
Audio Interface = Apogge Duet Firewire with updated drivers
Cubase 8.0.2 64 bit
My template has 87 midi tracks. I’m running 3 instances of Vienna Ensemble Pro hosting 5 instances of Kontakt 5 with libraries from Orchestral Tools and Spitfire Audio on the same computer as Cubase. The VST Performance meter barely moves at idle or playback. The CPU meters in VEPro idle around 10% and never go above 50% during playback. In short, the computer resources never seem stressed at all. However, when anything above 15 or so tracks are playing simultaneously I get audio drop outs.
I have done all of the following and got the same issue:
- turned Cubase Multi Processing on and off
- turned ASIO guard on and off (with settings at low, normal, and high)
- adjusted the core audio buffer size all the way up to 2048
- assigned various numbers of processing threads to each VEPro
- decoupled all VEPro instances
- turned off Mac Wifi
- got a new computer (yep, upgraded my 2010 Mac Pro to a 2013 Mac Pro)
- reduced VEPro audio outputs from 8 per instance to 2 per instance.
- Hosted Kontakt directly in Cubase instead of in VEPro
- turned multi processing in Kontakt on and off
I know this machine can run this template I just don’t know which magic combinations of configurations will make it happen. I am comfortable with my Cubase workflow and I don’t want to go back to Logic.