Cubase Elements 9.5.41 randomly crashes

Hello,

I’ve been using this version of Cubase for about 2 months now. Just recently (the past two weeks) I’ve been experiencing sporadic crashes. They don’t don’t seem to occur when I do anything specific. I could be doing something as minimal as moving my cursor to go select something and then my display will freeze for a couple seconds and then Cubase will close. It hasn’t happened during playback or tracking, but that could simply just be by chance. I don’t get any sort of crash report popup when this happens (nothing along the lines of “Cubase has encountered an error. Would you like to report the issue”) It just freezes, closes, and that’s it.

I’m currently running Cubase Elements 9.5.41 on a Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10. I’ve got an intel Core i7 8th gen and running 16 gigs of DDR4. I also have a GTX 1050Ti. My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, but I’ve got a Steinberg UR44 on the way (the Scarlett drivers are a nightmare). Speaking of my interface, whenever I unplug it or power it down, my computer crashes on me and blue screens. The cause is always the driver. Maybe the driver and/or the Scarlett are the source of my problems then?

Is anybody else out there experiencing anything similar? How should I go about trouble shooting this? Also, if anyone knows where Cubase is potentially placing .dmp files after each crash, let me know.

Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks! :smiley:

Hi,

Attach the dmp file located in Documents/Steinberg/crash dumps folder, please.

Same problem Cubase Pro 9.5.40 Build 259 Sep 20 2018 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
No .dmp file for the crash that happened today, but here is the latest one that was in the dir.
Today’s crash happened while I was selecting a note. Cubase just disappeared and got dumped back to windows.
Cubase 9.5.30.192 64bit 2018.9.25 16.14.dmp (1.03 MB)

The most recent .dmp I have in that folder is from October 26th, 2018. I’m not sure when Cubase decides to create these .dmp files, but just so you’re aware, Cubase crashed on me 4 times yesterday (Nov. 12th, 2018), and I don’t see any .dmp from that date.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look into this! I appreciate it.
Cubase Elements 9.5.40.259 64bit 2018.10.26 21.50.dmp (506 KB)

Hi,

This crash seems to be somewhere on the system level, in the ntdll.

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?

Might this be fixed in Cubase 10?

Hi,

Hard to guess, especially when the crash wasn’t in Cubase directly.

Update:

Today I was running Cubase in safe mode as suggested and had it crash on me within 2 minutes. The method I used to get into safe mode was opening Cubase and holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. A popup came up saying I activated safe-start mode where I then selected “disable program preferences”.

Also, the interface I was using at the time of the crash was a Steinberg UR44. No .dmp files were generated in the Steinberg crash Dump folder.

Just plugged in a Behringer UMC202 interface to see if maybe the new Steinberg interface was causing the crash. Unfortunately, this didn’t seem to make a difference, as Cubase crashed again (while also being in safe mode)

Is uninstalling and reinstalling something that might help? Also, you had mentioned the crash is happening on the system level in the ntdll. Could you or someone else explain what that means?

Hi,

Yes, you can try to reinstall Cubase.

Update: I reinstalled Cubase and am now running 9.5.0 (not 9.5.41). I was able to get through a two hour session last night without any hassle. Tonight however, I had an error popup telling me to restart Cubase due to the fact that a fatal error of some sort had occurred. It left behind this dmp file. Someone mind looking at it and letting me know what went wrong?
Cubase Elements 9.5.0.55 64bit 2018.11.22 23.22.dmp (1.06 MB)

Not even 10 minutes later and I’ve run into the same error popup. I closed and restarted cubase after the crash I just mentioned, was about to press record, and got the attached error. I’ve also attached the dmp file.
Cubase Elements 9.5.0.55 64bit 2018.11.22 23.37.dmp (995 KB)
error 2.JPG

Hi,

The crashes are from Cubase 9.5.0, update to the latest CUbase 9.5.41, please.

I also recently experienced Cubase shutting down without warning - that left no logs of any kind behind. I would be working on something (could be anything) and then Cubase (Pro 9.5.41) would simply close…, pooof. I’ve been using Cubase for 1 year, starting with Elements, moved on to Artist a few months after and took the upgrade to Pro this summer. All that to say that in my experience, Cubase was always rock solid until recently.

My problem was related to a plugin developer who has just published a fix for the infamous “Cubase-bug” with which I was afflicted. How can I be so sure? I’ve just experienced a full week of very intense Cubase sessions without ANY issues whatsoever (after updating said plugins).

This may or may not apply to your situations, but just in case you are using plugins from Plugin Alliance, I would suggest you update them as soon as possible. Good luck!