Cubase Elements 9 Songwriting & Scoring

Hi Steingberg,

I just watched the three Intro to Elements videos on YouTube and am convinced to upgrade from Cubase AI 8 to Elements (I think it will be Elements 9 - hopefully) because of the chord editing and arranging and what the presenter did with creating & arranging the vocals in the video. After watching all three videos I am so stoked. This is why I purchased my UR242 and keyboard & pad controller for song writing. But, since I am new to this whole world of DAWs I need a bit more detail.

REQUEST
Please do a detailed video or Step|Action Table on creating and arranging vocals. In the video the presenter sang a simple melody and then created a chorus from the melody. However the video doesn’t go into step by step detail on how to do that. The Step|Action Table or new Video can detail:

1. How to sing in a simple melody and make a chorus
  2. How to add in additional background vocals, like the presenter added in background heys in his demo
  3. Chords and chord editing
    Essentially showing/detailing all of the steps the presenter took to go from the basic concept of a song to the finished product that is being played over the intro to the video tutorials.

QUESTIONS

1. Can you score the vocals in Cubase Elements?
    – I can sing a great melody, but my music harmony isn’t so great, thus hand writing & keyboarding the score doesn’t always match up to what I’ve sung or envisioned.
    1.1 Can Cubase create a musical score from a melody I have sung onto an audio track?
    1.2 Or create one from an audio track I insert into Cubase?

2. Can the score be converted to midi notes so that I can sing into cubase and convert my singing into midi and then assign it to instruments?

Thanks Steinberg and the Forum community

Hi,

1. No, this is not possible. As far as I know, no DAW can do this. This is in general topic of research so far. But Cubase is the only one DAW, which can helps you with the harmony thanks to the Chord Assistant.

2. This is possible in Cubase Pro, not Elements.