Cubase Elements licence + number of computers

Hi Everyone!

How many computers can I install Cubase Elements 9 on?

(It doesnt seem to require a USB-eLicenser)

And at a later stage, how does it work If I get Cubase Artist 9?
With a USB-eLicenser can it run on two computers? (a macbook AND laptop)

Thanks.

Hi,

If you are using Soft-eLicenser (which is the default one), you can install Cubase Elements to any Number of computers, but you can activate it on one Computer at given time only. If you want to switch to another computer, you have to reactivate.

But you can transfer the license to the USB-eLicenser. Then you can take the USB-eLicenser with you. Where the USB-eLicenser is plugged in, Cubase will run.

The same is with Cubase Artist. But you can use an USB-eLicenser only. There is no way how to put the license to the Soft-eLicenser.

1 Like

Thanks, Martin.

Brilliant clarification!

Thank you!

Yea but consider this too…

If you had CB Elements installed on your laptop using the Soft-eLicenser, then upgraded to CB Artist (or Pro) which needs the USB eLicenser, you could upgrade and install the Artist version on both computers which would be available to use one at a time by switching the USB eLicenser. And… you could use the Elements version (which would still be on the laptop on the Soft-eLicenser) without the need to switch over the USB dongle. Just make sure you don’t move the Elements Soft-eLicense to the USB dongle because once you do you can’t move it back.

Of course the Elements version is not as feature rich as Artist but, this scenario could come in handy in certain instances.

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:

In order to upgrade an Elements license to Artist or Pro, it must first be transferred to a USB-eLicenser.

Interesting… did they change something?
I figured it would be the same as when I upgraded from CB LE4 to CB7 full several years ago. The CB LE4 was on an SeL and I upgraded to the CB7 full version without having to transfer the LE4 license to the USB eLicenser. The LE4 Sel showed up as a separate line item in the eLicenser control center but, after I upgraded to a better PC (which I only installed CB8.5 on it), I was still able to start and use the LE4 version that was on my other PC without the need to move the USB eLicenser.

Regards :sunglasses:

I, excuse my poor english I speak french. I’ve buy an alesis multimix 8 usb fx with cubase LE5, some years ego. now i’ve change the computer with windows 10 and don,t find the licence number… I have the DVD installation but not the serial number for registering
if you can help me. thank you

Does your LE5 license appear as a registered product in your MySteinberg account? If so, you should be able to do a re-activation on the new computer.

Software/license reactivation (requesting new activation codes) – Steinberg Support

If you contact official support, they might even be able to provide you with a LE12 licence (assuming your LE5 was registered in your MySteinberg account).