Cubase for Linux

Conjecture – none of us know what development resources are available to Steinberg, or what resources might be made available if it were decided to issue a Linux build, so it doesn’t follow that a consequence would be that it would take longer to fix bugs in the Mac and Windows versions. It would be equally illogical to suggest that Steinberg simply drop the Mac version in order to fix bugs in the Windows version more quickly (oh wait, there’s an idea! :stuck_out_tongue: )

I remember similar arguments around the time of Cubase 4, that resources shouldn’t be “wasted” on a 64-bit version as it would detract from the maintenance of the existing 32-bit version; after all, there were almost no 64-bit plugins. Where would we be now, if that kind of thinking had held sway back then?

On the positive side, even a very basic community edition of Cubase on Linux with only community support would bring a lot of new users on board without detracting from any of the existing paid versions, as well as serving as a beta platform for future developments.

No, that’s not the same thing at all since we already have a Mac version and a paying set of consumers on that platform. It’s a different thing to decide to spend more resources on a new OS version with the hope of future customers then paying for it.

As for the timeline for fixing bugs I’m just looking at history and I’m recalling conversations that have been had with Steinberg reps regarding how they structure their product lineup. I would have little faith that it would be economically feasible to develop for Linux without sacrificing something. It sure ain’t gonna be new shiny toys that are sacrificed because that’s what hobbyists keep paying for… so…

It’s again not at all the same thing. Moving to 64-bits was the smart thing to do because the software arguably benefits from it as well as modern operating systems moving to 64-bits as well. Not developing for Linux leaves Mac OSX and Win 10. Not developing for 64-bit would have left a mess if anything at all.

Not the same thing.

I’m not sure what “community edition” means? Are you saying non-paid? If so then that would probably be bad for business. If you mean a paid version but without support then I think users would complain because of the lack of support, which again would be bad for business.

I would be happy with a BETA version of Cubase, just to see if it works well on Linux. An experimental version with no official support so users can test and report bugs/problems in a thread open to the community.

Looking at the notes from the latest version of the VST SDK (which developers use when creating VST plugins), the list of supported operating systems now includes Linux (beta). Just sayin’ :wink:

Greetings to group! This is my first post on any Steinberg forum since 2001 when I shelved everything I was doing musically. As a matter of fact, I did not even pick up a guitar in all those years, let alone compose or record any music. The past few months I had been feeling it was time to once again return to music and so a few weeks ago I opened up my outdated version of Cubase and listened to the unfinished work I had. Nearly all of the files were corrupted in some fashion, even though the very same computer has been routinely used for my other hobby, Ham Radio. It is a WinXp machine. It took many hours of going through multiples layers of backups to find files that were ok, correct paths and pools and re-insert into Cubase (and Sonar) and find their correct staring positions. Most of the automation is lost forever. Though I am not certain, but I blame XP for the issue.

Anyway, I decided to visit the Steinberg forums to see what is happening, whats new, blah blah. Funny, the thread topics never seem to change much, “whats the best computer specs”, “having problems after latest update”. LOL However, this thread caught my eye. Enough so that re-joined the community (site)

Six months ago I decided to go back and give Linux a try. Nearly 20 years ago I played with Mandrake and Red Hat and loved the stability. Eventually I gave up on them mostly because of the lack of Audio Drivers for my Echo and Aardvark sound cards and of course Cubase VST32 and Sonar did not offer a Linux package. Today, all three of my computers are still on XP. My once state of the art dedicated DAW is now a mediocore machine by todays standards, but it still runs SX3, Sonar Producer, Wavelab 4 and all of my 3rd party plugins such as Waves quite well.

Linux has come a long, long way since the day’s when I was experimenting. Installation was flawless, the host of packaged programs that I did not need to go search for. It recognized all of my hardware, it runs faster than XP, I could go on.

On page 1 of this thread it there was a link to a site with all sorts of audio linux drivers and programs. That was great. It looks like I will be able to run my Echo Laya and even my old Gina on linux. Sweet! I will be downloading and trying some of the software and begin to test drive the programs. I realize I am living on borrowed time with current XP PC which has VST32 through SX 3 and Sonar Producer through ver 3, Wave Lab 3, a UAD-1 and more 3rd party plugins than I care to look at. Dang, I spent allot of money on plugins and I know that once that hard drive fails, I am done because of the old “Challenge and Response” authorizations etc. etc. wont mirror over to a new hard drive. Sucks, I will miss the Waves and TC stuff, and of course Cubase.

I prefer the work flow of Cubase over all other program, and I tried almost all of them short of Pro Tools. Cubase is what I used 90 percent of the time before I went on my long sabbatical. Will I ever upgrade to the most recent version of Cubase, no. So Steinberg can take my oppinion for what it is worth ….zero…however, I think it would be great to develop a version for Linux. I could be wrong, but I bet would get less consumer problems, complaints etc. from the Linux crowd. Linux is a far superior OS IMO; it is certainly more stable in all my experiences and Linux users seem to be allot more computer savvy.

Sorry for the long post, but after all, I have allot of catching up to do after all…and now some of you got a little back ground on me if you see me post somewhere else. This starting over is not easy, I am going to have to re-learn allot, and my guitar skills have suffered, allot. LOL. Peace!

I’ve installed it 10 times and not one time did everything work

I heard some YouTuber speculate, that Microsoft could be going completely Linux in the future.
First it may sound strange, but Microsoft is the biggest contributer to Linux, and their servers already are running Linux for all the cloud based stuff.
With the core count dramatically increasing, and the poor multithread performance of Windows compared to Linux it might not be impossible.
Also the fact that Windows could be free in the near future as Microsoft doesn’t make money off OS sales, but are very healthy profit wise.
Just a little new years speculation, could be total nonsense :slight_smile:

Fun fact: Long ago (very long ago) I worked in IT at Intel which of course had a bunch of different relationships with various parts of Microsoft. Once MS came to look at how the data centers supporting circuit design were set up. They were quite shocked to find that almost all the computing occurred on Linux. Believe they revised some business plans after that.

How would XP “know” how to corrupt automation specifically and not anything else in your project files? That makes little sense.

Please support linux.

Windows is getting shittier and shittier, and linux is getting better and better. And linux has tremendous potential for audio work (i.e, Jackd)

Hey cuartasexta! Great first post, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry for digging up an old post but I totally disagree! How much does a decent outboard EQ or compressor cost? Is a bespoke piece of audio hardware not a definition of a closed ecosystem? Isn’t pro-tools HD/HDX a closed ecosytem? Doesn’t stop the majority of professional studios adopting it. Pro-tools is far from the best or the most innovative DAW, quite the opposite it’s basic enough such that old farts (the existing producer community) who don’t really understand computers can use it. I would be more than happy to purchase an off the shelf known quantity (in terms of performance and spec) set and forget Cubase Linux box. Indeed I’ve been crying out for Steinberg to come up with a recommended hardware spec that they’ve tested and QA’d and they know works glitch free - stray at your peril. And I’m an IT professional who would rather not have to do his day job when playing with Cubase. There’s already good enough freeware to produce professional quality music on for those who don’t want to pay - the days of having to pay out multiple hundreds of pounds/dollars for a viable DAW-based studio have long-since passed.

There is a fundamental point here, the PC as a platform is dying fast. Smartphones are now powerful enough such that one can mirror the screen to their high def TV, hook up a bluetooth keyboard and merrily perform all the standard office suite tasks required to run a household - stuff that would once require a PC or a laptop. High end gamers and DAW nuts aside - who actually needs PCs? As broadband, 4G/5G and beyond gets faster, even video rendering will be quicker in the cloud than on the average PC. This means the future for Windows PC as an active, thriving platform is dying fast - when the core users die off - the platform quickly becomes financially untenable. Corporations use Linux for back-end compute and increasingly use the cloud for applications, windows PC are rapidly becoming dumb terminals running web apps. As the PC market dies off, who’s going to spend billions keeping Windows patched, working on all this diverse hardware and cheap enough for the casual user? Quality and reliability will dive-bomb; The desktop computer is dead, porting Cubase to a platform that will be in mainstream use and actively developed over the next few decades makes a lot of sense - and that platform is x86 (x64!) on Linux - I wouldn’t be surprised if someone in Apple HQ is already mulling over dropping their bespoke BSD dead-end platform and embracing Linux as the core OS - same goes for Microsoft - I bet in ten years time MacOS and Windows are merely desktop variants powered by Ubuntu (now IBM have bought RedHat) used by silver-haired people who don’t like change.

Who says DAWs have to run locally on powerful hardware anyway? I’m sure there will be a cloud based DAWs soon. In most non-professional use cases, you’d only need to stream the mixbus for monitoring and the track(s) being recorded. Not as bandwidth intensive as you’d imagine. Musical taste is going away from real instruments and the vast majority of people just don’t care about sound quality beyond “acceptable”, we are increasingly niche users on an increasingly niche platform. PS. if someone writes and publishes a viable sample meltdown/spectre variant, the PC’s demise may be more rapid than anyone can imagine! This could bankrupt Intel over-night - in which case, change my x64 prediction to ARM!

One piece of hardware like an EQ or compressor isn’t really an ecosystem. It’s just one unit within a larger system, and that larger system is analog (from the standpoint of the device). PT isn’t really a closed system either, it’s just one piece of software with compatible hardware.

But even if PT was a closed system with HDX I think it only supports Raphie’s point; pro studios will buy that because it pays itself off, as opposed to “hobbyists” who aren’t willing to pay as much for that DAW/hardware.

So the question is also then what people are paying for…:

It’s definitely not the opposite of the best though. I’d say it’s very, very close to the best DAW out there. But again, the “existing producer community” that makes a living can afford it, and more importantly a lot of us who work in post-production can afford it as well. So the question is if there’s any money in it for Avid to open things up for Linux.

And getting back to the previous point: “We” are ok with paying a premium if there is better support and a minimum guaranteed performance level.

Fair enough, and of course I agree that it would be useful. But do you want to pay Steinberg for that extra work they have to do to keep up with hardware, software and OS changes? Because it’d be a guaranteed sh%@storm if they recommended a setup that all of a sudden stopped working as ‘promised’, or if they started lagging in updating that/those configuration(s).

…etc…

You should probably pick and choose your arguments a bit more carefully.

If you’re arguing for Ubuntu/Linux + a dedicated piece of hardware then you’re arguing for what is essentially a desktop platform. So you can’t then simultaneously argue that Windows / MacOS are doomed because people are moving to smart phones, tablets and could services. That would hit that hoped-for box equally hard.

Secondly, if you choose that argument, that desktop OS’ are dying, then how does Linux help?

Thirdly, if you’re arguing that we’re going to run this in the cloud, then you don’t have to argue for Linux at all. Then an MS cloud service will do just fine. That could be Azure (?) or whatever. To use as a user it won’t matter. It’s the service that’s guaranteed, not the OS. The OS will then be irrelevant.

In addition;

a) low latency for cloud DAWs… probably not so much… I.e.; no-go.

b) you’re not going to do a bunch of video rendering online either because the data transfer with higher-res source footage pushes the data transfer requirement so high you might as well just keep it all local and spend the time rendering locally instead… not to mention the risks of relying on an internet connection to output final renders. Those going for this are probably the exact same people that have such low requirements they can probably suffer through a render as well.

c) look at Microsoft’s balance sheets; where does it make the most money? On services/cloud or on selling Windows?.. i.e. it’s well prepared for more cloud services

d) MS is slowly switching over to UWP from win32. Future editions of Windows will be free of legacy compatibility which is instead added as a “module” to the MS CoreOS. So if anything if there’s a progress to be made to a sleeker and more secure platform it’s going to be UWP, certainly not Linux.

Microsoft are rapidly transforming into a service provider which inevitably means that, while there will continue to be what we call “PCs” for “enthusiasts”, the big investment is going to go into their cloud services offering and Windows will be relegated to being merely a thing that runs on client hardware so they can get consumers connected to these subscription-based services. Whichever way you turn it, the Microsoft future is one of pay-to-play. Apple will be no different, other than in flavor.

This is where a Linux-based Cubase appliance comes into its own. I don’t mind playing with tablets or discount-store mini laptops for browsing or email, but I want to retain control over the device I use Cubase on. I don’t see that as remaining possible in the longer term unless Cubase expands to also embrace open-source platforms.

Apart from the many DAWs already offering Linux in addition to Mac and PC versions, the VST ecosystem is opening up to all sorts of hardware platforms, for example the ELK music operating system, making it possible to treat VST plugins just like hardware in physical Eurorack modules with analog interfacing.

Wouldn’t it be great to load Cubase onto a hardware module and push it into your Eurorack? :mrgreen:

Pay for some services maybe, but probably not for the OS.

I doubt it’ll disappear as an option any time soon. You can already defer both security updates and feature upgrades by quite a bit on Win 10 Pro, so that in conjunction with a sane backup strategy should make management relatively easy.

“Many” is probably a stretch, at least if we’re talking about professional products.

You don’t need to wait for that though, you just need to get a small footprint portable computer.

I think the fundamental problem still is that users want/need feature development and that costs money, and that needs to be recouped with a profit for those who develop these DAWs. Chicken and egg. Not enough users with money they’re willing to spend on Linux yet. I doubt there will be for at least another half a decade or so.

My point about desktop Windows dying is does not mean a dead end for the desktop PC hardware. What do you think the (non Microsoft) container platforms like AWS and kubernetes are? They are Linux on x86, indeed something like Kubernetes might be ideal for hosting a DAW - each plugin being a microservice. Because of the move toward these platforms the hardware will outlive support for Windows (as an operating system) I’m convinced windows and MacOS will simply become shells slapped over a flavour of Linux.

Yeah I’m sure it’ll do wonders for low-latency needs… lol…

So I gonna up this old topic cause a lot has changed. Also the latest comments tldr;

There is already a version for Mac OS X, if it is written with POSIX standards then a port wouldn’t be too hard. However, the audio server of most Linux OS’es are not up to the standards that have been achieved on Windows and MacOS. For composing this will be a minor issue for mixing and mastering I would say it’s noticable. The OS market has changed and the install base on desktop machines and primarly mucisians who do live shows with programming involved already use Linux, therefore cubase would be a great asset. This would also count for Ableton as well. Honestly, my best experience with sound has been on Linux, an OpenSource DAW seemed to talckle the earlier mentioned issues, Ardour. Just like Cubase it’s programmed in C/C++. And with Windows taking more parts of Linux by design since Windows 10 I would say it would be possible to see a release within the near future and be happy to close the chapter of using Windows in music production for good. Looking into the market share of January 2019 Linux currently takes 1.61% + another 1.17% trough ChromeOS. Since the advantages that Linux offers to creative people and also has one of the most creative userbase when it comes to coding tools a build for Linux would be beneficial to Cubase.

Will be great if Cubase run on linux.

Windows 10 in every year it is more buggy and MacOS is so expansive.

Sooner or later I sure a competitive products like StudioOne, ProTools or other will be run on linux. Will be nice if Cubase it is first run on linux :slight_smile:

I haven’t noticed Windows 10 having gotten more buggy, at all. If anything it’s the exact opposite.