Cubase for Linux

I would love Cubase on Linux. Bring it on. :sunglasses:

I would just like to see a windows OS that’s reliable so i don’t have to buy a new mac every three years.
I absolutely hate being tied to that Apple organisation where they are building the new computers less powerful with no upgrade options and charging more money.

If Bill Gates got his act together and made a decent OS that would create more competition for Apple but right now they are winning and getting away with ripping us all off. The Apple contingent will always have an excuse for this obvious forcible upgrading strategy.

This is why i personally would like to see something new like Linux being an option for Cubase. I’d swap over in a second!! I’d love to get rid of all my Apple poop!! I’ll have to do it in a year or so anyway when they change to “superlightningbolt 5” and change all the connections for all of your monitors and hubs etc so you have to sell those and buy even more Apple gear. Or maybe charge you 50 pounds for an adapter to get your existing stuff to work.

Just saying…

I don’t know what you mean about a reliable windows o.s.

98, XP, and 7 have all been good for me. I did have to do a little tweaking on all of them and the computer is dedicated for AV work.

I do have 2 Mac lappies one for remote recording and one internet and accounting.

I get along with all of them just fine.

As I have said before, if we can extend to iOS, Android, then Linux should also be included. MacOS is just another variant anyway.

i’d prefer a solid, stable cubase on any of the currently supported systems. following that, make it run on my microwave for all i care.

That would be handy for re-heating the coffee in long sessions :sunglasses:

If you have to “reheat” the coffee, you’re drinking too slow! I’m just saying … :wink:

Can I get a copy compiled for my IBM AS/400?

Oh yeah! I could run it on my HPC system then - 50000 cores, every 12 cores with a Terabyte of SSDs and minimum 64 Gigs of RAM, 10 Petabyte parallel file system.

I’m sure that would handle a few plugins. :wink:

I’m sorry Dave, you’ll have to wait while I rescan my plugins. :imp:

:mrgreen:

Exactly.

This response wins the Internet.

If only I could get Cubase on my Nest thermostat. Now that would rock the house!

My point exactly: Nest is Linux based, so Cubase on Nest = Cubase for Linux!

Seriously, who in their right mind still cares about Windows XP?

Perhaps you’re misunderstanding that point. For people who are still on XP and are looking for an alternative, there are surely many who don’t wish to have to go to Windows 7 or 8. If Cubase was available for Linux, it would offer a non-Microsoft alternative on an OS that is secure and maintained, at zero additional cost.

The competitor I was referring to above is Bitwig Studio which is also available on Linux, so clearly somebody believes there’s a market there. For someone using Cubase on XP and wishing to move without getting locked into either Apple or Microsoft, Bitwig Studio on Linux is a clear commercial alternative, however they would surely stay on Cubase (and remain Steinberg customers) if there was a version of Cubase for Linux.

Clearly if someone is still running Cubase on Window XP and is reluctant to upgrade to a current version of Windows or OS X, then they need to re-evaluate their priorities. We are finally in a position where drivers are stable (in most cases) and the OS is cheap or free. Why should we turn back the clock with trying to make this all happen on Linux. Exactly what is wrong with the options we have today (OS X or Windows) ?

FYI - If the Windows Modern interface is to jarring for someone, there is a little key called the “windows key” - when you press it it brings you to the desktop in windows 8+

The clock wasn’t turned back by creating Cubasis on iOS, for example. This is about offering an additional option. Anyone who wants to stay with what they currently have need not feel threatened by the suggestion.

Cubasis was created for a different market. You are comparing Apples to Oranges. I have Cubasis - and it is a nice toy.

Cubase for Linux would be for a different market, namely Linux users. Then we could compare like for like, on OSX, Windows and Linux, much like Bitwig Studio users can. Oh and … I won’t object to you using Cubasis on iOS if you don’t object to me using Linux, deal? :wink:

Lets hope that Yamaha continues to keep Cubase rolling along with the low revenues and high development costs in this business. You start spreading your resources too thin, you will likely fail in the long term. I think Cubase is a “work of art” so to speak in this domain and I want their best talent focused on 8.5 - XX.X over the near and long term and not battling the idiosyncrasies of another OS. Especially Linux which is perfectly suited for server side computing but has never taken off on the desktop. Assuming it was implemented on Linux, I wonder how many developers they would need to ensure stability on every flavor of Linux. I think the best you can hope for is Cubasis run on Linux (oops I mean Android).