Cubase freezing - 'synsopos.exe' listed in wait chain

Hi,

Cubase is freezing quite often at the moment, either when I’m loading into a track, or doing other tasks such as rendering in place. When this happens, and I go to task manager, cubase 8.5, show details, analyse wait chain, I see that SYNSOPOS.EXE is listed as the process which is causing the freeze. When I disable this process Cubase unfreezes, but then I get an error saying:

DCOM connection to program “Synsopos.exe” failed. Error: The RPC server is unavailable.

When Cubase is frozen, I can only end it by using task manager. After this, if I try to open Cubase again, it won’t open, but will appear in task manager under the ‘background processes’ section. The only way I can get Cubase to open again after forcing it to close is by ending the process called ‘protected object server’. If I do this then Cubase opens as normal (but will still suffer with crashes).

I have tried resetting my preferences and uninstalled/reinstalling the elicencer control centre.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian.

I’m sorry for the trouble. What operating system are you on? What version of Cubase are you trying to open.

For DCOM, generally it would be fixed by shutting down and restarting the computer. Without opening any programs install the latest eLCC from http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html but do not open it. Shut down and restart again. Then open the eLCC (right-click and start with “Run as Administrator” on PC), and then run the Maintenance. Do you get an error then?

Hi,

I’m running Windows 10 64bit, Cubase 8.5.20.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but I am unable to complete maintenance (this happened previously also). The loading bar gets around 1/4 of the way across and then stays there indefinitely, no matter how long I leave it. It says it is still on step 1 of 6: updating eLicenser Database. When I go to control panel, the eLicenser is still listed as running, but when I look at the wait chain, SYNSOPOS.EXE is listed. If I disable that, the maintenance completes but with lots of errors, and I have to restart the elicenser to be able to see my licenses.

Thanks,

Ian.

Problem solved. For the benefit of anyone who has the same problem, make sure your eLicenser is plugged into a USB 2.0 port rather than a USB 3.0 port. Switching it over to a USB 2.0 port fixed the problem for me.