Cubase has become so unreliable

I’m with filterfreak on this one.

We already had the ‘Trash your prefs’ advice spread all over the place…

Now, we have the ‘Trash your OS’ one. The next step will probably be the definite ‘Trash your DAW’ sentence… :confused:

Me… I’ll just go get trashed! :mrgreen:

I’m thinking trashing Windows for a new installation is overkill (once upon a time, several years ago, this was probably good advice). And offering this suggestion without even knowing the OP’s specs is ridiculous.

My advice for the OP would be to contact SB support and see if they can sort it out.

Well, are you looking for problems or looking for solutions? :wink:
A professional user always tries everything that might be wrong before complaining to anyone else. If you have no clue - then contact Steinberg support (of course!?).
I have had my share of Cubase crashes in my 13 years as a Cubase user - since SX they have all been due to bad plugins, bad hardware or soggy/old OS-installations filled with other programs.

How can anyone give any other advice if the user provides:

• No crash reports.
  • No info about OS.
  • No hardware/computer specs.

A drunk is the only man walking straight during an earthquake. :wink:

The only problem I had was with Asio guard,

which were supposed to get my Mac run like Jet

but had the opposite effect, at least in the first 7 version

(I have had it turned off ever since, so dunno if it works better know)

causing overload (at the latency levels I am used to work at)

and some general sluggishness

Well, maybe the reinstall OS was a bit premature. That said, I learned something from a recent Win7 OS reinstall - my PC is a faster and better machine.

And I’ll go even further and speculate why I think this is. When you originally install the OS, MS is sending you constant updates. And these updates are installed in the OS section of your HD. But I think the regisitry is somewhat confused by the many stored updates. It will find them, sure, but not like it can when you do a _re_install. In my case, doing the reinstall, after I registered my Win7 on line, I was notified that there were 71 updates that needed to be downloaded. These were downloaded in order. The result is my machine loads quicker and seems more agile overall.

So then I thought about this and decided to do the same with my old XPSP3 P4. In this case there were over a hundred updates. I downloaded these and found the same results with the old P4 - it is a faster loading and more agile machine.

So, not saying it will help the OP, but I am an advocate for a periodic OS reinstall. :sunglasses:

+1
I got that tip from Andy Inatko back in 1995.

IMHO
still works today

{‘-’}

Just wanted to add on this post as I have already put up new posts so you may have missed them. I have totally SOLVED my BSOD and real-time meter overload. The BSOD was caused by a low level driver from deamon tools I took it off and have not had the BSOD since. The real-time meter over load was C7 picking up the pref file from C6…I put the C6 pref file onto my desktop deleted C7s pref file loaded 7 up again and I have had no more issue only the mixer ones to do with graphics that everyone is having and SB are totally aware of it and it will be fixed in the next update which am told is very close.