Cubase ignores modifier keys after switching windows

Win 11 Cubase 12.0.52 Pro
nobody will care and understand anyway so it’s probably useless to give a description but hey I’ll waste my spare time anyways let’s go.

steps to reproduce:
create empty project
create empty midi track
select track
open lower zone
click lower zone to give it focus
click in the empty area below the tracks controls (left side of project zone, not left zone) to give it focus
immediately after press control-S to save project
→ cubase will Solo/Un-Solo the previously selected track instead, because the control key was lost

do the same with Shift-S, shift is lost

create empty midi-part and show it in the lower zone
give project zone focus
click on lower zone
press control-S or shift-S fast enough
→ modifier key (a.k.a. control or shift) is lost, Solo Editor is toggled instead

the effect lasts for about half a second, so you can wait everytime after clicking around in cubase as a workaround. Or you can wonder why sometimes cubase doesn’t do what you wanted and not notice how it does something else instead, not read this thread or post something under it like “probably you’re doing things wrong” or not paying attention what the post says and answer maybe “it never happen’s when I press completely different keys 5 hours after clicking”.

This won’t lead anywhere, I just leave it here to come back one day in the distant future when cubase 24.15 still loses keyboard input the same way.

But if you wondered why so often when you wanted to select all midi notes in the key editor and cubase did nothing, it’s because you pressed ctrl-A to quickly after clicking in the key editor and cubase tried to Adjust Fades to Range instead, which did nothing because you had no audio part selected.

Well, what’s the point of saying that? Drama?

I tried to preform your first repro sequence, but there are a few steps missing. I added what I inferred from your post (in italics) The title says switching windows is part of this, but there is only one window indicated in your post.

1. create empty project
  2. create empty midi track
    a. and midi part
    b. create two more tracks
  3. select midi part on 1st track
  4. open lower zone
  5. click lower zone to give it focus (note - it already would have focus if Editor Content Follows Event Selection is activated)
  6. click in the empty area below the tracks controls (left side of project zone, not left zone) to give it focus
  7. immediately after press control-S to save project
    → cubase will Solo/Un-Solo the previously selected track instead, because the control key was lost

Could not reproduce this. This does sound like a problem local to your system.

Did you rule out corrupt prefs before before trying this repro sequence?

I have never encountered this.

I can’t do it here either. The only way I can trigger this is by having the letter key be a smidgen earlier than the modifier so that it comes as S+Shift or S+Ctrl. If I have Shift or Ctrl prepared (kept down) while switching the focus up and down, it always bring the project settings up or the save dialog instantaneously. I don’t know what my reaction time is, but it’s certainly well below the 0,5 seconds we’re looking for here.

I don’t know if a windows setting affects this.

What is your point please in citing an 8 year old topic from a different OS and version of Cubase?

Any movement on this? I am having this problem now.