Cubase in slave mode in ReWire?

Why does Cubase not go into slave mode in ReWire? Seems to defeat the entire purpose of ReWire and makes things unnecessarily difficult. it happens with Ableton 9, Logic Pro X and Pro Tools so is clearly something being blocked by Steinberg on the Cubase end.

i prefer to use Ableton for composition and arrangement as the workflow fits with me, but prefer to do all my mixing and mastering in Cubase. At the moment I am having to export stems from Ableton, import into Cubase and then mix. If i have arrangement issues, I then need to go back into Ableton, rework, re-export etc etc, which gets very tedious very quickly.

What i am trying to do is use Ableton as the host so I can use my plugins within it, then use Cubase as the slave so I can route instruments from Ableton into Cubase audio tracks in order to mix. However, Steinberg seem to block this for some bizarre reason?!?! If I use Cubase as the host I cannot access my plugin instruments within Ableton obviously, so cannot achieve this.

Unless fixed, I am essentially being pushed by Steinberg’s limitations towards working in Ableton exclusively (even though the mixer is awful) and then not upgrading my Cubase, meaning a lost customer for such a tiny thing. No doubt others who wish to ReWire Cubase as the slave in the position too I would guess.

Hi,

It is designed, like this. As far as I know, Logic also cannot be ReWire Slave (Master only), same as Pro Tools. The only one DAW is Ableton Live, what makes sense. Ableton Live was originaly ment as an addition (extension) to common DAWs. Cubase is not an extension of different DAWs, Cubase is the DAW.

If you want to use Audio from Ableton to Cubase, than Cubase is ReWire Master and Ableton is ReWire Slave. Which is common setup.

I understand this. However, doing it with Ableton as slave and Cubase as master does not allow for the use of my plugins in Ableton, defeating the purpose of it, as explained in original post.

I think I may have found a solution using an app called JACK but I am yet to test it out. It allow for both DAWs to be used independently (needing to open Live first so it doesn’t go into slave mode), and then JACK worth as a internal router within the computer, allowing you to route from Ableton into JACK and the. From JACK into Cubase. Seems to be a solution, but would be way easier if Cubase could just be slave so I could mix in it. And use plugins in Ableton.

Hi,

Which plug-ins you cannot use in Ableton Live? The only one, I could imagine, is the internal Cubase plug-ins, which is logical. You cannot use them in other DAWs. But if you mean Steinberg virtual instruments, then you can buy an upgrades to the “non-Cubase” VST/AU plug-ins, which you can use in other DAWs.

JACK is a virtual cable for Mac. But I’m not sure, if there is any syncing solution within it.

When Live runs in Rewire slave mode, it cannot run any third party plugs (or Push for that matter) and so becomes very neutered & which is exactly what the first post is complaining about. All DAWs generally do not run in Slave mode, but only as Master (including the silliness of Apple MainStage, which on first glance would seem designed to be a Slave, but no …). This is not a Steinberg /Cubase ‘problem’.

Rather than Jack (which is a bit dodgy in my experience), the most common use of syncing DAWs on the same platform is via the the built-in OS X Audio-MIDI app, and by routing MIDI clock or MTC sync through the IAC bus - that’s exactly what its for. Then 2) setting the correct send and receive sync arrangements in each DAW; 3) ensuring common settings like for tempo & sample rate; 4) route the audio via the audio interface internal ports - this will be the main limitation for ‘how many tracks at once’, the i/o for a given audio interface, then an audio matrix to be established between Live audio OPs and Cubase Rec inputs. For example, on a typical 8x8 audio interface with ADAT 8x8 (total 16 i/o) a set up might be to reserve 2 inputs for recording and 2 outputs for monitoring. This then leaves 14x i/o for routing between the two DAWs. Otherwise the limitations of the audio interface will determine how many tracks can be recorded at once.

See ‘How to use the IAC driver’ at https://sites.google.com/site/mfalab/mac-stuff/how-to-use-the-iac-driver. There’s plenty of other examples of how to use IAC (logic & Pro tools etc). Just sort out and understand the sync options for both Cubase and Live, then you’ll be good to go using IAC to link the two. See also ‘Ableton Live and IAC Drivers’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIjzcW_du3s

Otherwise, just do the composition in Live, then bounce out the stems or tracks to wavs and import into Cubase for mix. Really, this is the most straightforward: assuming reasonable ram & cpu, open both applications set to same sample rate and tempo; render Live tracks to arrange and bounce out to Cubase. Re-do as necessary, as the song develops etc. Much less messing about and gets the job done just as well.

Bunford, I am in the exact same situation as you. I am on Windows 7 pro though. If there are any developments in your quest, I would love to read about them!

Yeah, I would love to be able to do this too, as I much prefer in-the-box mixing with Reaper (grouping and parallel processing is way easier to achieve).

As it stands my only options are to just avoid Reeaper, or spend days rendering huge wav files to reconstruct in Reaper. Unless anyone knows of any other viable method?

A bit of a shame as it seems like it has deliberately been hobbled to stop people using Cubase as an additional tool in the box.