Cubase lagging problems!

Hi. The only VST I use is (play) east west. If I load a lot o tracks using this VST Cubase starts lagging.
What should I do? I have a laptop, can I upgrade it with something to make the lagging stop? I don’t know much about computers so when my last one broke I just bought a laptop that was affordable and had a good processor.
Here are my laptops specifications. I have the Asus A550CA-XO1087H

CPU: Intel Core i7 (3:e gen.) 3537U / 2 GHz
Mobile Intel HM76 Express
functions: Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
RAM: 8 GB ( 1 x 4 GB + 4 GB )

We would need more information to help. What version and build of Cubase do you have installed (Help, About)? What OS are you on?

In Devices, Device Setup, VST Audio System, what is your ASIO Driver? What is your input latency?

It is likely that you are overextending what the computer is capable of. How many instances of Play do you do have loaded when the problem starts?

Thank you for the quick answer.

I have Cubase elements 7.
I had 22 tracks I believe when it started lagging. The strange thing is that sometimes it works ok, not lagging that much and sometimes it is lagging a lot (most of the time) . Even though I did not add any extra tracks.
My driver is the generic low latency asio driver and my input latency is 20.272 ms

That is a horrific statistic on the input latency.

Low latency is a function of your computer/audio system capabilities.

Modern DAW’s require lots of horsepower, many things going on.

So that’s a good computer. Not just a good computer but one setup for audio.
No animated cursors, unnecessary windows services shut down etc.

Then you need a low latency interface.

Good place to look and compare them:
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

The lower you go (closer you get to real time) the harder the system has to work.

I borrowed the presonus audiobox itwo soundcard. The strange thing is that I can only change the buffert size outside of Cubase, and I can only change it between 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048.
2048 gives me 51.066ms as a input latency and 50.907 as a output latency.
Does anyone has any experience with this particular soundcard because I need a higher latency than that.
Thankyou again :slight_smile:

2048 is typically the highest buffer size possible for an audio interface.

What specific version and build of Cubase Elements 7 do you have installed (Help, About)? What OS are you on?

In the project, what plugins do you have loaded (please list each one and the number of instances of that plugin)?